Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 Ford steel grille, shell and hood questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Willys, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

I know everybody wants gennie Ford parts but is there that much difference between original and repro steel grille and shell items? I dont have originals and the old stuff is getting real pricey and the new stuff is cheap. I know gennie is better but how much? Is it a 10 footer deal or totally obvious? Same question on the 4 piece steel hoods.

2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Your best bet on a shell is Vintique, any hood will need some fitting. I have heard people that bought rootlieb complain, and had to refit them. Probably varies from car to car.

3. Shells are close,,inserts vary and there were several versions of the 32 Ford hoods,in the states there was a 20 and 25 louver. HRP

4. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep!---The 20 one is designed for Henry's 4 banger.
    25 one was to allow more cooling for the V8.

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I think he was looking for what aftermarket hood brand to use, if original isnt available.

6. the flatlander

the flatlander

Use the repro shell & insert. Especially if NOT using original hood. Can get a great 4 pc. hood from Hoosier Hoods in Indiana. Email me if can't find the # [email protected]

7. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Thanks for the replies, yes I was wondering if the repros were close to original and if so who has the best? I am building a hot rod so it does not have to be original.

8. Rootlib makes the hoods that most of the aftermarket dealers sell. HRP

9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

On the deuce pkg roadsters I've turned out of my shop I like the Vintique shell, Dales insert and a Rootlieb hood with a Walker radiator. My experience is that the hoods need a little reshaping to fit the cowl, and shell for a really good look. I've had problems with insert fit on the Brookvillle shell at the top, I've quit using them.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  10. Tommy R

Tommy R

And since no one mentioned it, I understand there's quite a quality difference between the various reproducers, too. Some are made in China and the quality is suspect, but some are made here in the States and are of a much higher quality. I know an original Deuce grill is not going to be in my budget so I've been researching the repro options. Seems fewer people have complaints about the American made reproductions. At least that's what I've found in my searches. I don't have firsthand experience, though.

11. The 20 was designed for both the 4 and 8 cylinder. The 25 was added late in the year and as a dealer retrofit primarily for use on the V8, when it was found the V8's were overheating.

Charlie Stephens

12. Later production 4 cylinder cars & trucks had the 25 louver hoods also.HRP

13. ken1939

ken1939

I second that, I have a root on my 32 Ford and its fine. Fit rather well out of the box. I have a Stock cowl/firewall, shell and insert.

As for the repops, the only ones I didnt like were Brookvilles, unless they got better. I have two repop steels and inserts off of ebay for under $400 and they are not bad. The next one will be a filled top.

14. A Rodder

A Rodder