Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Great 8 Detroit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot-rod roadster, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Never2low

Never2low

My dad and I were somewhat underwhelmed with the offerings for the Rid.
    He was more excited to see Grand Master, again, than anything else
    (with the exception getting to watch Gene do his thing)
    I enjoyed getting another look at Impression, IMO the sexiest streetrod ever built, and another great turnout in the basement.
    And we both agreed that Gene's clinic should have had bleachers.:)
    All in all, another great weekend at Cobo.

2. slammed

slammed

Add up the total investment/value of the entire top floor entries. Staggering isn't?

3. I can appreciate the fit,finish,craftsmanship,and quality of the cars,but they just don't trip my trigger,,all the huge billet wheels and rubber band tires,lack of door handles,,so slick a fly couldn't land on it.

I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.:rolleyes:

I love art and see these cars as modern art,they won't stand the test of time.
    there are also other builders that I liken to the old masters with names like Da Vinci,Bellini,Rembrandt and Goya.

These are the type of cars and truck that most of us identify with and will be found on the main floor & basement of Cobo Hall but will never be in the running for top honors.HRP

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  4. Deuces

Deuces

I saw one there once that towed a pool table... Late '70's or early 80's... God, it was ugly!!..:rolleyes:

5. sololobo

sololobo

Go Omaha home boy Andy Leach with the 40 Coupe team, this young man has really hit his stride as an awesome builder. Although way over the top for me, I love seeing two Chevy pick ups in the mix. And maybe it will stimulate my brother to get busy on his 56 Buick. I saw my gal pal Denise's cool Pontiac wagon in an earlier post from the event. That honey goes for it! ~sololobo~

6. bct

bct

i understand my own bias for traditional styling but i can't comprehend why these are the top 8. some of the styling is offensive.

7. Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  8. gas pumper

gas pumper

9. Cool,,thanks for posting. HRP

10. belair

belair

The 56 pick up is OK, the 35 ford and the Buick are just hideous.

11. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Did Jason Graham build this one? It looks like it could be the unfinished one that I saw in his shop last year.

[​IMG]

12. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Well said and I totally agree, it is what it is.

13. 3340

Well Said, The Real Hot Rods Are In The Parking Lot!

14. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

We were at the Detroit Autorama yesterday. The best show and the most interesting cars by far were in the basement. The build quality of the basement cars seems to be getting better every year. We have been going to Autorama every year for the last 20 years or so and this year's Ridler award finalists really didn't impress at all. The quality of workmanship on all of them is second to none but it was the proportions and the style in which they were presented that actually made some of these finalists look ugly. I sometimes in past years have looked at a Ridler contender for up to an hour just appreciating the workmanship and innovations, if the car really stood out. None of the Ridler contenders really stood out this year. You looked at them but pretty much just kept on walking. The Apache pickup did make us stop and look at it for a while as this truck was very nicely done. The 2013 version of the Detroit Autorama was another excellent show and I always consider myself very lucky that there is a car show of this calibre so close to home that we can go to every year.

15. daddyo

daddyo

I like the fit and finish in all the cars. but just not my style. First indoor event I drove my car inside,and I knew I was in trouble when I saw a guy unzip the leather wraps on his tires when he got the car in place. And the people were whispering "did he just drive that in here!"

16. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not here. I like lots of cars that are not HAMB-friendly, but I generally don't like 'street rods.' Nothing in the 'Great 8' I would look twice at except the Forty.

That's based on seeing mostly the outsides. Some of the interiors might be worth looking at.

17. Really Brian?,,I think you might have forgotten that this is after all a TRADITIONAL site,yeah,we get off track and go out on a limb with some of the stuff but the Great 8 are noting more than giant money holes.

Again,I can appreciate the craftsman but if I had to own any of them and not be able to sell it,,,no thank you,,I just don't care for the styles. HRP

18. Retro61

Retro61

Well said, HOTRODPRIMER! I totally agree!!

19. saucerhead

saucerhead

The '40 coupe was my choice. Great engineering, design, and execution.

20. This is so awsome! Does anyone know anything about it?

21. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

My good friend and Hometown boy Andy Leach of Cal Automotive Creations won the Ridler award with his first effort. Absolutly Amazing
    Congrats to Andy and a team of great guys who put in a lot of sleepless nights to help make this happen. So well deserved. Really happy for you guys. Gary

22. Rocket88

Rocket88

Great 8......who cares?
    They have no place here.

23. Jason Graham build. Glass, chopped, suicided, MII,air ride, tripower smallblock. Jason's wife just posted on FB it won "Best Overall Custom". Got the Winfield award too.

24. Keep

Keep

So which one was it?

25. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Checkered Past 40 ford coupe

Attached Files:

26. Keep

Keep

27. ^^^The '40 would have been my choice as well. The Cameo was cool, and everything Troy builds (56 Buick) is outstanding, but the '40 looked the best.

The fake whitewalls on the 56 Buick was a deal-breaker for me.

28. Cool. Thanks!

29. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Big win for the home town boys. Way to go Ron Cizek, Andy and team. Looking forward to a look at it at WOW this weekend.