Register now to get rid of these ads!

electronic igintion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Apollo Gran Turismo, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Apollo Gran Turismo

Apollo Gran Turismo

I want to upgrade the points to something electronic for 215 buick in my 3500GT. The points are a pain to me and they just don't last in the rpm range I run. I know there are many out there. I want to keep the original distributer, and its widely agreed I should for this car. Seems they are mostly all magnetic that are out there. What one works the best thoough? I'm considering using a 6AL box, but don't have to. Opinions vary with the people I talked to. So what are you guys running, and what's your opinion.

2. Your asking about a Maserati?

3. GrimGreaser

GrimGreaser

If you want to use the original distributor, and you can't find a electronic points replacement kit from Pertronix ect... most ignition boxes can be triggered by the points. The high amp load is taken off the points so the only wear will be the follower. You can also trigger GM HEI modules and Ford TFI modules with the points. I run a points triggered HEI in my Hudson Hornet, it works really well. Search the internet, or when I get a chance I can track down the links I have.

4. Mallory use to make a good kit,,I have the Pentronix in all my hot rods. HRP

5. No it was a American sports car built in the early 60's. HRP

6. Thanks. Never heard of it.

7. They are pretty rare and a cool looking piece. HRP

8. Gator

Gator

I had pertronix in a '65 Corvette, never had a problem. For some reason though I never trusted it 100% and kept an old points uniset in the tool kit.

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I did a conversion last year on a 1974 Porsche 911. These came with points distributor and electronic ignition. Frankly, the stock design wasn't too swift.

The control box was burned out so I replaced it with a Ford thick film ignition module. This is about 10 times better than the original. The points are still there, they just act as a trigger or signal and carry very little current. They should last until the rubbing block wears out, the points themselves should never wear or burn.

Certain models of Fords from the nineties have the module mounted on an aluminum heat sink. I got mine off a Probe, I think Aerostar, Cougar and Thunderbird had them as well.

Do a search and find the wiring instructions. I used the stock Ford plug and made a wiring harness that plugs into the stock Porsche harness, I cut no wires, if someone wants to spend $1000 on the stock (inferior) module some day, it will plug right in like stock.

While I was at it I used the matching Ford coil. I tested 6 coils, Bosch, American, Japanese and German and the Ford coil worked best.

There is no reason you can't do this on any points ignition car with 12V negative ground wiring. Works great, parts are available everywhere, you do not have to butcher your car, and the module itself on a finned aluminum heat sink does not look out of place. Although you could hide it if you want to.

10. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

MSD and Mallory both still make a distributor for the engine. There are also some older aftermarket breakerless distributors floating around.

A Pertronix conversion was mentioned.

Another option is an HEI distributor from a 350 Buick. A little clearancing will be needed for some manifolds, some manifolds won't work with the HEI. One thing to be aware of; all production HEIs were intended for engines that have EGR. Using one of those on an engine that doesn't have EGR results in WAY too much total advance. Kits are available to correct that. Some aftermarket HEIs address the issue.

11. GrimGreaser

GrimGreaser

Here's the website for a rundown of using a Ford TFI unit.

http://gofastforless.com

Look under "Ignition" then "Better ignition"

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  12. The 215 Buick uses the same PerTronix Ignitor kit as most other Delco distributor's including most Chevy's. I would use the Ignitor II, part #91181 and the Flame Thrower II coil.
    Unless the motor has a lot of compression, big cam etc, the MSD 6AL box is just overkill and really won't add anything for you, but it certainly won't hurt anything.

13. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Pertronix, definitely.

4TTRUK

14. 36tbird

36tbird

Maybe a bit OT, but I always have wondered about something. If you are running a Pertronix and it has worked for a long time, why wouldn't you just carry a spare Pertronix unit as a back up?

15. Most folks just throw the old points and condenser in the glove box or trunk in case of a rare failure - Why? Because they are FREE, they already have them. Although we certainly wouldn't discourage anyone from buying more of our products :D

16. Apollo Gran Turismo

Apollo Gran Turismo

Thanks for the reply's guys, I appreciate it.
    I had trouble logging in the last few days on a different computer.

The compression is pretty high on these engines about 9.5-10:1, and I am looking to run a larger cam. (the largest crower cam for the engine is what I have in mind right now) I plan to pull the matching numbers engine to save it for another day lol. I have 3 other 215's now, I picked up 2 more just recently, 1 is suppose to run and looks pretty clean. and I'm looking for a 300 crank also to fit in one. I plan on running the snot out of them.

I like the points triggered ingnition idea with low current its really my current issue. Never occured to me and the block hardly wears at all. So where do you set the dwell, I guess it wouldn't even matter anymore.

I was checking out the different designs looks like Mallory is a circumference magnet with radial gap that seems to bolt right in. The Pertronics and crane units boltt to the centrifugal weight plate? run's on a plane with a specific gap. The play in the helix & in the distributer effect it at high rpm ? Sounds like a pain in the ass to set up to me.

Gives me something to think about now.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  17. nali

nali

On some distributors, to use a Pertronix a steel part has to be cut for clearance, so using the original points is no more possible.
    This is the case on the Autolite (IIRC) I have in my Rambler 66.

18. nali

nali

The Pertronix seems to be installed exactly like the Mallory, from what I see from pictures.
    Here s mine :
    [​IMG]

19. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

20. BillM

BillM
    Member Emeritus

Mopar magnetic trigger driving a GM HEI is what I did. Some details on my site.

21. Apollo Gran Turismo

Apollo Gran Turismo

My son said he has msd6a box for sure and maybe the pertronix from his 71Nova that was totaled, so I will most likely buy it from him for a 100 bucks or something if it still works.

22. jtm_elcamino

jtm_elcamino
    from Uvalde Tx

Id say check out pertronix. just threw out the bulky hei and installed a converted pionts type dist. in my chevy. havent had a lick of trouble with it!