Register now to get rid of these ads!

Milk truck wheels = crazy money

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 392_hemi, Mar 28, 2006.

1. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

What do you think of the wheels on this milk truck?

Attached Files:

2. Blackie

Blackie

Those look like Dodge Plymouth wheel. 16" or 17"...

Sent from a pay phone

3. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Blackie,they are probably 18" or 20".

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Interesting how the name of the Dairy uses the same script as BUICK did for many years. Wonder if that is a Buick chassis the bottle is riding on?

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

No big deal about using different wheels on front and back. It's been a common thing since the beginning.

Joseph Alain Dubois likes this.
  6. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

It's a Dodge chassis.Dodge wheels. The image was used in a Dodge magazine ad along side a newer Dodge panel van.

7. chevy2junk

chevy2junk

Anybody ever seen these in 6 lug??? 6 on 5 1/2 bolt circle?

8. brandon

brandon

guy had a cast version at the v twin expo....:eek:

9. 117harv

117harv

Yes.

Attached Files:

10. Yep, I have 5.
    [​IMG]

Joseph Alain Dubois likes this.
  11. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

I love a good ancient thread resurrected from the dead. So they made 18" AND 17" spit rim 6 lug rims. I think both the 17" and 18" can be made to fit in an 1932 18" ford wire wheel hoop but the 17" needs more trimming from what I'm told. Theres a place in california that can both put the 18" hoops on and carefully cut out the 6 lug pattern and replace it with a '40 ford 5X5.5 center. I'd think theres gotta be a place in the NW that could do something like that cause shipping these heavy ass SOBs is not happening. I've got 4 of the 17"ers that we affectionally refer to as "Chevcos" that need to have 18' rims put on. JohnnyA

12. The measurements I have the 17" centre will fit a 18" rim. The centres are the same except the air valve dimple on the narrower 18" High Clearance wheel. I priced the 18" rims out here, they were $180 a few years back when our $ wasn't as strong, I must price them again. Big Al has had the Chev 6 stud wheels modified to 5 stud 18".

13. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Oh ok, good to know that it won't be too much work to convert my 17" chevcos. Heres another trick for (lack of a better term) "Divco" guys...The Filling Station, a chevrolet reproduction place has repopped 18" trim rings for 32-33 chevy wheels and they'll work on 32' wheels and divcos if ya cut a notch for the valve stem. I don't know how common knowledge that is. JohnnyA

14. couverkid

couverkid

I'm sure lonnie gilbertson in Portland can do that with your wheels. He changed bolt pattern and installed wider rims on some chevy artillery wheels for a old coworker of mine. Beautiful job.

15. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Hmm...Thanks for the tip! Portland is a much easier drive than cali. JohnnyA

16. couverkid

couverkid

If I can help let me know.

17. Yes, the real 18" Chev 6 lugs are harder to find - the 17" split rim version are more common but need more work to make them usable. The centers have a very large diameter and need to be cut down to fit any currently available 18" rims (I believe the 17" center measures out at 16 1/4" in diameter).

Steve

18. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Thats what I had heard...sounds like ya gotta trim quite a bit off. I found this photo on ebay a while back. I think these were originally 17" split rims. JohnnyA

[​IMG]

19. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

This is my work.

20. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Well ya do good work! Too bad I'm in Washington...otherwise I'd run my set over to ya. I am assuming you have 18" hoops or do you do the 32' ford wire wheel trick? Thanks, JohnnyA

21. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

I ussually use a new 18" rim, The 32 rim trick only works with the 17" snap ring centers. The really neat thing about the way I do it is you can also use the stock Ford caps with mine after I'm done. Also, shipping probably isn't as bad as you think.

22. Just went and measured the two Chev centers I have - they are 16 3/4", not 16 1/4" - little wonder it's virtually impossible to find an 18" rim that these could drop into without cutting off the outside of the spokes. If anyone has a rim cross reference book or database of some sort that may list center ODs or rim IDs that would be a start to maybe finding a factory steel wheel that could be used as a donor for rims for these.

I've even thought about having a machine shop turn a set of steel hoops from heavy, large diameter steel pipe stock - any idea what grade of steel would be best?

Steve

23. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Woah, so that looks like a ford center mated to the 17" split rim center (Chevy?) mated to an 18" hoop. Nice.

I know where a couple of those wheels are but not sure I could ever get my paws on them. They're just on an old trailer and the guy has no idea what they are.

24. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

What's wrong with cutting the spokes out of an '32 wheel? The only down side I can see is the 3 1/2" wide rims...that kinda sucks. JohnnyA

25. alchemy

alchemy

I know where there's a Chevy split wheel like that too. Can probably never be had, but it is on display in front of tens of thousands of hot rodders every summer at Back to the Fifties.

Myself and a couple of local Minnesota heavy hitters were jawing about rare stuff a few years ago at BTTF's, when I glance at the old forest ranger trailer on display 20 feet behind them. Oh God, is that what I think it is?! Everyone of us strain to see through the chain link fence, and agree, itsa Chevy high clearance wheel. But it's Goverment owned, so there's no way we can sneek it out of there.

26. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

I have a 17" 6 lug set off my wifes 38 chevy 1 ton that look like the ones posted ,are they the type you are cutting down to change hoops?

27. I'd prefer to not have to cut the spokes down - what's the ID of a stock '32 wire? I don't have any . . .

Steve

28. man I'm DREAMING about a pair of these!!!

29. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

Does anyone know where to get 18" trim rings?

30. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

This is where you get 18" trim rings. JohnnyA