Register now to get rid of these ads!

What brakes fit a Ford 8" axle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63comet, Mar 10, 2013.

1. 63comet

63comet

I have an 8" rearend from a '72 Maverick under my Comet. I'm swapping out for 5 lug axle shafts, so I'm going to need to swap my brakes too.

I already plan on doing a Granada disc swap to the front.

Will 8.8" backing plates bolt up to my housing? That really make junkyard parts easier to find.

Is the 7.5 rear Ford used in the '80s the same as the one they used in the sixties? My current rear brakes came from the original 7.5 axle that the car came with. I'd probably just keep them but they're so narrow I'm having zero luck finding drums that would work.

If the '80s Ranger stuff would work it'd be nice as they have a finned drum on some models that would look nice and old fashioned speed part. If I wind up going with open wheels that'd be a little cooler than a smooth drum.

2. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Why can't you use the Maverick backing plates? Are the drums on the Maverick smaller dia than the Granada or Mustang ? Brake parts for the 8 - inch ford are readily available at NAPA , Advance ,etc and are inexpensive ( and new) . Why go to a junkyard for brake parts? Just my opinion.

Rereading your post I guess I'm a bit confused. Sounds like you have 7.5 rear axle brakes on a Maverick 8-inch. Its probably me , just don't get what you are doing. Sorry .

3. 63comet

63comet

I don't have Maverick backing plates, I have '63 Comet backing plates. Designed for 9"x1.5"? drums.

I'm really just wanting backing plates and cores for the other stuff from the junkyard. I have found backing plates new to fit but at that price point I'd put rear discs on it.

The axle was swapped into the car years ago. Since then I have lost a business, gotten divorced, and worst of all had my storage space robbed by scrap hunters and lost years and years of collected parts and tools.

So the Maverick plates are probably in China by now getting ready to be sent back to us as a fart can muffler for an '99 Hyandai.

4. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Ok I understand. Sorry for all the trouble you have had....hope someone can answer your questions. John

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Mustangs , Mavericks had 5 lugs also. I used the front disk setup from a 76 Maverick for a 67 mustang(5 lug), it had 5 lug 8 inch rear.

6. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

7. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any Ford drum brake off a small bearing axle will fit. A good choice may be the Ranger or 10" x 2 1/2" Bendix found on '80s-up Grand Marquis/Crown Vic/Lincoln TCs. The only problem will be matching the bearing offset or location on the axle, which controls the position of the drum to backing plate.

8. lilbdfrd

lilbdfrd

I got 10 inch drum on mine. 9 inch center section with 8 inch axle tubes and 9 inch axles used the mavric backing plates. Odd size drum and kinda expensive from the maverick 8 inch rear

9. tailpipe47

tailpipe47

If you want good disc brakes without spending big bucks look here on the H.A.M.B. at ( [​IMG] 9 inch rear disc brake installation ) a jamflashman post.

10. I've got a leftover set of 8" ford backing plates. They are nice. I'd send em for 50 bucks including shipping. If you're in the vicinity of ATL we can meet up.