Register now to get rid of these ads!

What I have been up to - Detroit Autorama

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Born a HotRodGal, Mar 6, 2013.

1. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unbelievably cool.

2. In my opinion,this car should have made the great 8 ! HRP

3. I absolutely freakin' love this coupe, and had the chance to see it in Van Nuys under construction. The fact that it didn't get selected as a Ridler finalist says more about the Ridler than it says about the car. In '63-'69, this would be on the cover of every hot rod magazine and every kid in America would have the plastic model kit.

Unfortunately the Ridler seems to have become a contest about who spent the most money to CNC the most parts to hide the most machinery, with the end product a boring rehash of the previous year's winner. Prediction: 10 years from now nobody will remember the 2013 Ridler winner, but the Iron Orchid will be considered one of the all-time greats.

Big ups to Dave and Beau for shocking the squares, and reminding everybody what an exciting show rod is suppose to be.

4. Mike,you nailed it,,especially the part about in 10 years no one will remember the 2013 winner. HRP

5. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

You are being generous. I would say that in one or two years, this years pick will be forgotten.

I too was wondering why this years Great 8 are so lame. Wasn't there better cars at the show?

Neal

6. BRENT

BRENT

That was there? Shit, yet another car that I didnt see. This is the last year I bring my wife. I was only there for 3 hours before I started to get the "look". How could I miss that? Cool car.

Brent

7. sololobo

sololobo

Ultimate show rod! Congrats D.H. on an outstanding piece of skilled work. Just beyond amazing talent. ~sololobo~

8. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

i know there is a lot of time and HARD WORK in a paint job like this. estimate on how many hours to lay out and paint?? not the body work, just lay out and design,then spray? car brought me back to my youth!!!!got to go find my little pages of r/c

9. HRP - I'm not privy to the politics of the Ridler, but it does seem to have devolved in a money spending contest. With a few exceptions (the "First Love" coupe in 2007) most of the winners in the last 20 years are completely forgettable.

This car brings the spirit of downstairs upstairs, and I think that rubs some people the wrong way.

10. richie rebel

richie rebel

the car is badass,no doubt............

11. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

That car is head and shoulders above any of the cars that made the great eight.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

12. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Sweeet looking car!

13. virtualvanner

virtualvanner

Have looked through a ton of shots from the 2013 Autorama on various sites/facebook pages. One thing in common, is that they all have pictures of this car and often multiples. I'd give it most photogenic, it's even better person.

14. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Should have been in the top 8....

15. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

16. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I think most have forgotten that the "Ridler" is a construction award. Makes a difference on how you view a particular car.

Frank

17. fast Ed

fast Ed

Great car, thanks for getting it in the show for us to view in person!

cheers
    Ed

18. A five star vote to make up for whoever voted one star. :/ Super job!!

19. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Terri, the car was incredible. Dave and the crew were certainly robbed by judging. The quality and execution were second to none. While they were certainly disappointed I hope they understand the excitement around the car. It was a crowd favorite for sure and will gain accolades everywhere it goes. Amazing on sooo many levels.

20. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

was this the light blue coupe that used to have the smoothie Halibrands on it?

21. alumslot

alumslot

Image7.jpg Image6.jpg Image4.jpg Image9.jpg Image3.jpg Image1.jpg Image8.jpg The OP had ask for pictures please don't take me as a photographer but here's some of the pictures I took of an amazing car. Pictures don't do it justice.

Jim

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  22. awesome ride!

23. High5

High5

Couldn't agree more!

After reading the other thread on the Great 8 and thinking how boring their displays are, then I see this car and somebody actually tried to create a display! wow! The car is amazing and I love the display. Kudos to everyone involved.

24. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

I've been drooling over this car all weekend.

25. Scott K

Scott K

Or maybe most people have moved beyond the style that this car represents.
    No question that the build quality and craftsmanship are first rate and the incredible detail in the panel paint work must have driven the painter insane, but with the exeption of the relatively few hard core enthusiats that are here, the world has evolved beyond Hot Rod from 1963 - 1969.

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I looked at this car at least a dozen times and found something else to enjoy about it every time. Most of all, I "get it", and clearly the team that built this does too. Almost as difficult and disciplined as building a Ridler contender, to embark down the path of the 60s show rod and get it right. Dave related the time and effort expended just to track down enough parts and detail items required, and that in itself is a huge accomplishment. Then bring it all together with that level of quality? Who cares about the Ridler at that point? I wouldn't. This car has some heart and soul in it that some may never have. There's a Ridler or 2 I'm impressed with over the years, but that's not my thing and don't know if it ever would be. "Corporate" and "Sterile" are terms that some evoke when I look them over. This could never be either, and Mike Zenor, you're right, I'll remember this one for a long time. Maybe from now on. Congrats to all involved and thanks for the opportunity to see it in it's "element".

27. FlatheadFanFromMI

FlatheadFanFromMI

Truely memorable

Attached Files:

28. I have got a new Favorite!!!!

29. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

Hands down one of my favorites targeting that period. Does anyone have details on the wheels and tires? It's hard to see from the pictures but are those real Astro slots and are the tires two white stripes and one red on both sides?? My God, that's 60's-alicious!

30. norm ricardo

norm ricardo