Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Great 8 Detroit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot-rod roadster, Mar 9, 2013.

1. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Anybody have pics of all 8 cars in the final for the Ridler award ? Gary

2. Kinda what I expected,,all over the top street rods,,nothing suitable for posting here!:rolleyes: HRP

3. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Ooooh thanks for putting that up

I would usually agree, but good friend and Builder Andy Leach ( Cal Automotive creations ) Is there with his crew and the Checkered Past Ford.
    It was pretty amazing seeing first hand what goes into a build like this.
    Aaaaannnd he's the home town boy, so Im pretty excited this year.
    Best of luck to Andy and crew !!! Gary

4. HRP, you and I are of like minds on this.

5. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, that award is just what it is. For show cars that have the latest tricks and fads and extreme attention to minute details. You can bet that a few real hot rodders made a living building them for the past year though.

7. kwhizz

kwhizz

It's getting to be like old Pro's pick cars......Make them different, to a point of getting "Silly"......

8. pastlane

pastlane

While I am appreciative of the talent, attention to detail, dedication (and money) involved in the trophy chase, none of these do anything for me.

9. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Couldn't agree more. Yeach! 1956 Buick post? Stock looking pick up?
    Those must have flux capacitors and warp drive connectors!
    No thanks.
    Just think how nice of a traditional car could be built and ENJOYED witha shit load of cash left over!

10. daddio211

daddio211

"...and the Don Ridler 'who spent the most money award' goes to....."

:D :D :D :D :D

11. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

I like 6 of them. The '35 Phaeton and 34 roadster(?) are over the top.

12. Camera quit before they got to the basement.

13. alchemy

alchemy

The 40 coupe is the only one I kinda like.

14. I believe that's what most of us want to see. HRP

15. Just seems strange the amout of exitement these billit covered big wheel non driver freindly cars get here. If you posted a build thread showing all the non traditional modifications being done here on the H.A.M.B. you would be setting your self up for ass chewing that would last for days......

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's somewhat of a case of "their modifications have to show while we expect ours to flow".

One of my buddies no doubt will talk about at least a couple of those cars for hours because they are "so radical" while the brown 32 tudor on the cover of the latest Rodder's Journal might hold his interest for two minutes at most. While we study almost every minute detail traditional cars and applaud builders for the detailed simplicity of their builds the other side of the street expects to see things done to the extreme and the more bling and flash the better as far as they are concerned.

17. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)It comes down if you go to a car show and want to see the coolist hotrods just go out in the parking lot. They are there.:D

18. Just wait until somebody starts posting the cars & trucks in the basement,,that's when you will see some real world hot rods. HRP

19. paintcan54

paintcan54

pastlane, you and I have the same feeling on this.

20. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Over the top or ugly for most of them, but I really like that Cameo.

21. Probably ain't 1 of em that'll drive outta Cobo Hall.

22. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Personally, I'd like to be able to afford even a fraction of the amount spent on any of them. Rather than complain, I like to think I'd do something like any one, particularly the Buick or Cameo, if I had the money and/or talent. I think the bitching is envy.

Brian

23. henryj429

henryj429

A couple ugly ducklings there for sure, but the Buick is killer!

24. tbauer

tbauer

Thanks for the pictures from those of us who could not make the show !

25. sedanbob

sedanbob

I understand the dedication to Hamb principles on this forum, and your own rides - I appreciate that. I am disappointed that many here refuse to appreciate quality in other areas of the hobby. There are beautiful customs, restoratons, street rods, and even some impressive new cars that some of you seem to abhor. I can find something to like in all the categories.

26. raymay

raymay

Just returned from Detroit. Great mix of vehicles that can appeal to a great mix of people. The vehicles that go for the Ridler award are unique and probably way over the top for most builders. In many cases they are true works of art. Most of us may never own or build a vehicle of this caliber but I for one can easily be inspired by the creativity and workmanship that goes into one of these cars.
    As much as I can enjoy a pro built vehicle, I find the same insipration and creativity in the more traditional home built creations I saw the last two days. The show always has been and hopefully will continue to be a favorite yearly event for me.
    Each year I usually see something that really catches my eye even before I know who built it or how it was built. This years eye catcher was a 51 Hornet (poor mans Merc) that just seemed to have the right look. As I spent some time admiring the car I found it did have an interesting story and was pro built. Never being much of a fan of these cars, I would say this one can easily change my mind.
    Time spent watching Gene Winfield chop a car and talking with him was almost worth the price of admission. Great show and plan to return again next year.

Attached Files:

27. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Amen.

Brian

28. A Boner

A Boner

The Grand National Roadster Show wins!

29. I agree. While none of them are anything I’d really like to own, you have to admire the work done buy the guys that actually build cars like these.