Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Original unbuilt John Tojeiro frame project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Untame, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Untame

Untame

Last week we received an original John Tojeiro racing frame (with wire buck attached) that we have been commissioned to finish. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Tojeiro)

This frame and buck was built by Toj himself, and from what I understand it's model name is is intended to be "Tojeiro California."

Our goal is to have this entire car finished by the end of the year -- ambitious for sure. I'll post pictures of the progress as I'm able.

Attached Files:

2. Untame

Untame

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Is it suppose to be a hot rod or a sports car? HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Nice historic piece.............good luck.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

NICE! Looking forward to seeing an English wheel in motion. Bob

6. showrod

showrod

I never heard of a california tojeiro before. Do you know the year it was designed/ built? I have quite a bit of Tojeiro paperwork, letters and factory photo's
    [​IMG]

banjeaux bob likes this.
  7. showrod

showrod

heres a picture of John Tojeiro, judging by his work clothes more than just his name went into the beautiful cars he built.
    [​IMG]

Untame and volvobrynk like this.
  8. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

I believe Tojeiro built the original car the eventually turned into the AC Cobra?
    Cool piece will be interesting to see the body shape when it's done.

Scotty

9. metalshapes

metalshapes

Cool...

Tojeiro built some great cars.

Can you tell us more about this car?

History?

Spec? ( Jag or V8?)

Thanks for posting...

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

I never knew about John Tojeiro until this thread started, but in true HAMB tradition lots of info is coming out of the woodwork, I love this place. Bob

11. Weasel

Weasel

Damn - fifties sports racers - another of my passions. Look forward to seeing this one....

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. I look forward to seeing the build of this.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. JEM

JEM

Our goal is to have measured drawings of the frame and DXFs of plywood body buck pieces ;) that looks like it could be a GORGEOUS piece of hardware when it's done.

14. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

15. JEM

JEM

Judging from what's visible in the pics the frame appears to be an evolution or derivation of 'Cobra technology' - big straight round tubes with suspension towers up front and a cage for the DeDion out back.

16. Untame

Untame

AC bought Tojeiro frames for their Ace. Later, Shelby would make his Cobra on this platform.

I don't know anything about the history of this frame, but (via hearsay) I believe our client knew John Tojeiro and got the frame from him.

The wire buck looks very similar to the Ferrari California Spyder. We have built many of those bodies, so this shouldn't be too challenging.

Our client has sent us a race-built Chevrolet 292 for this build (300hp supposedly). It will be wearing 3 Weber side-drafts. We will be using a Jaguar rear differential with inboard disk brakes.

banjeaux bob and volvobrynk like this.
  17. Untame

Untame

You can be sure that we will be taking a lot of measurements. :D

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

That explains why the tail light shape looks familiar. :) Bob

19. JEM

JEM

Curious choice. I'd think Jag 3.4 or 3.8, early Cad, early Chevy smallblock, maybe even Olds 303, might have been more typical.

20. Untame

Untame

The DOHC Jag straight 6 was common in Tojeiro frames. Buick V8s also made there way in. I've heard that our client was also thinking about an early Corvette V8 that had some racing history. We'll see what happens in the end -- projects usually "take shape" throughout the process.

21. afaulk

afaulk

Fifties sports cars and Indy cars really fired me up as a youngster. Looking forward to seeing it fleshed out!

22. metalshapes

metalshapes

When was the chassis built?

What engine was planned for it, originally?

23. Untame

Untame

Both are questions I want answers for also. We just unloaded it on Thursday, and I haven't had time to do the research. I heard that "John wanted it built as an American version" -- whatever that means. When I first heard that I figured he wanted a left-hand drive V8 (I was thinking 429 Cobra style). But the chassis came to us set up for right-hand drive (that might change also).

Anyone know where there might be a frame stamp on a Tojeiro frame? That would be a good place to start.

24. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Besides building frames/chassis, Tojeiro was a painter for Buckland Body Works/AC Cars .

If the frame was originally build for track use, it may well never have had a number stamped into it.

Are the frame tubes and ''superleggera'' gas or electric welded on this frame? Some of the italian builds of this era were still gas welded into the 60s.Will it be skinned in 3003?

" Meanwhyle, back aboard The Tainted Pork "

25. Untame

Untame

That's a good question about the alloy -- I'll check into that and get you an answer.

I heard my coworker say (after looking at the welds) that he thought it was done with an arc welder. The wire buck is brazed to the frame.

26. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D This looks like MORE fun from the HAMB.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

27. Untame

Untame

That's the key -- it seems that a lot of Tojeiro's cars ended up in horrific wrecks!

28. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Well, at least they stayed together on impact!:eek: Unlike Chapman's who's ethos was design out anything that didn't fail on the track:eek:

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

X2, in spades. Subscribed!

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I think I have some photos of a Tojeiro Buick somewhere, I will see if I can find them.