Register now to get rid of these ads!

59 chevy wagon rear window channel question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cody Walls, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

So im in the process of putting my wagon back together and I've kinda ran into a snag , what im having trouble with is there is a odd ball size window channel that goes in and around the talegate area that the rear window goes up and down in, , mine are in really bad shape and cant seem to fine a replacment channel anywhere , the channel is 7/8 x 7/8 ,
    any info or help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

so far I've tried

restoration specialites
    hubbards
    ecklers
    impalabobs
    cr laurence

heres what my original one looks like

[​IMG]

and if any of your are intersted heres the link to the wagon build
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458755

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I'd sure like to know the answer to that one as well...I'm working on a '60 Chevy two door wagon and the tailgate window channel looks worse than yours...mine needs new pieces, too.

R-

3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

4. Not sure if this will help but when I was trying to find channel for the Ranch Wagon I couldn't find the correct size,,We bent up some U channel and inserted a small size channel.

It's not perfect but like you I looked for several months and couldn't find anything appropriate. HRP

5. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

ivejust tried both and nothing thanks

6. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

i was thinking about doing that if all else fails thanks

7. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

a lot of people i know are looking for this piece

8. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

9. WDO40

WDO40

I have done a 60 wagon that I still own What I did is clean the metal channel good
    then got some 2 inch wide velco from home depot the self stick kind and carefully work in it finshed the car in 2005 and still looks good

10. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

thats a good idea as well , that would work on the sides of mine but the top part i would have to make since my channel is completly rotted out , thanks for the idea

11. WDO40

WDO40

heres a few pictures of mine

Attached Files:

12. 59 brook

59 brook

it's been 12 yrs since i did my wagon but i couldn't find a lot of the gaskets that are now available .as stated i bought a 2" wide rollof black fuzzy looking stuff and peeled of the backing, centered it and packed it down with a stick . not concours correct but it is still there . now the top one is a little wierd a my rear window has a big dip in the center of the window( the corners are higher then the center of the back glass.if you mean the rear roof section that actually slides out and they made a new piece for the rear including the drip channel. from what i've seen you do that piece shouldn't be a big deal for you to make

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Virtually every size of channel has been available over the last 40 years at one time or another. You should be able to come up with some but you'll have to call every auto glass shop in your area/county/state to do it. In the 60s-70s glass shops kept a good stock of channels on hand for older car jobs and industrial jobs which used lots of different sizes too. Good luck.

14. redroaddog

redroaddog

your right! but i've found that if you call they tell you no don't have it so go to a long established shop and go thru what they have you might get lucky... has worked for me in the past:cool:

15. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

16. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

sorry guys it took so long to get back to you alll , ive been extremely busy , for thoes of you that dont know im really trying to get the wagon done for the Rodders Journal show at the end of september i know it might seem like i dont have a lot to do , but in all actually i still do , with the rear window felt im just going to make it since i cant find any thing , thanks again for all of your guys help

17. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I looked for the past 6 months for replacement channel for the tailgate on my 60 Brookwood. Couldn't find anything that was wide or deep enough. Finally decided to reline mine. Looked at several different options. By chance I stopped by an auto glass shop a couple of days ago and the owner pulled out a MFG catalogue from C.L Laurance. They had rubber backed mohair reliner, 2 5/8's " wide in a 40 ft roll. They don't sell to the public but gave me the name of a couple of retailers in the U.S. Called and ordered a roll. It should be here Monday or Tue. I should have 30 + feet left over, so if anyone needs some PM me next week.

18. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

Thanks to all that posted possible solutions. Fat47, who did you you find that could supply the reliner ? I searched C.L Laurance but their site is far too large to try to navigate.
    I googled "rubber backed mohair reliner" which brought up Steele Rubber. It looks like they have a variety of products that may work. Steelerubber.com
    And yes Fat47, I am interested in purchasing your remaining stock.

All the best,
    Dale
    Cleveland OH

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  19. cac646

cac646

I'm also currently putting the tailgate window in my '60 wagon. What is everyone using for the wiper strip that goes on the back of the stainless on top of the tailgate?

Also, my triangle window rubber seems a little big, anyone else having that problem? What should they be sealed with?

20. Just saw this, pretty sure I bought from Steele Rubber products they sell it in like 5 or 6 ft sticks