Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cowl Steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jumbogem29, Mar 7, 2013.

1. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Maybe I should post this car on the HAMB classifieds as it has race car cowl steering and looks bad!

Attached Files:

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm using a 1925 Franklin, the steering box that most dirt cars used 1920's-1950's. Bob

3. This is an ancient Franklin gearbox, with heavier shafts and lateral housings. Note that the Pitman arm is inside the cowl, with the draglink going out through the firewall. This is not to satisfy those who think a through the cowl steering setup is ugly; it's because this application is on a racecar.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is, of course, the race car. Cowl steering is used so one doesn't have to use a bunch of shafts and joints, each inviting failure, to circumvent an engine, or other gear in a tight engine compartment. Harry Miller, for example, in an effort to keep the steering mechanism inside his 1935 Indy, Miller-Ford's engine compartment; put the steering box too close to the "flatheads" exhaust manifold. One by one, Henry's (Ford was the owner) cars dropped out of the race with steering failure. "Food for thought" for you car builders who like to put those "block hugger" manifolds near those "itsy-bitzy" Vega boxes.:eek:

4. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

put the steering box too close to the "flatheads" exhaust manifold. One by one, Henry's (Ford was the owner) cars dropped out of the race with steering failure. "Food for thought" for you car builders who like to put those "block hugger" manifolds near those "itsy-bitzy" Vega boxes.:eek:

Usually the vega box is low enough and forward of the headers.

Ago

5. where do i find one of those
    tk

6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I've used the Land Rover box a few times now, works great.

7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Funnily enough I just finished this today, Its a Ford Transit van box converted to cowl steer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. So, do you have to find LHD boxes to use on rods in the UK??? :rolleyes:;)

9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Most hotrods here are LHD, this makes the Land Rover perfect as a RHD box is spot on for LHD, Got one on my Willys too.

10. CHEATER! Hahaha.....:D

11. Hey Steve, throw one in the crate when you get around to shipping me that Willys body...;)

12. Well, doesn't that look pretty badass!
    Nice

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. I just got rid of my Franklin and had Schroeder build me a new one. The boxes that you guys have fabricated and shown here, are absolutely great! Bless those who try to use 80 and 90 year stuff....;)

14. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hay Langy...!.....SCHWEET!
    T

15. jumbogem29

jumbogem29
    from Alabama

Thanks to all for the good info i have read alot of threads here in the past 2 days alot of info. I think the ford box may be the way i think because of my cowl on my 30 sedan being wider it seems to have a longer shaft if i am wright .

16. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks dude.

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Jim the ford van box I used was originally RHD and the cowl steer car its going into is also RHD, For LHD you would need to start with a LHD box.

Ford F1/100 can be altered very easily to suit your application.
    Also a RHD Land Rover box would work perfectly too.

Heres a LR I have for my 26T, the are normally finned aluminium but I smoothed this one off a bit, the extensions are the same as on the Ford box above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

If we could find a way of shipping it there wouldn't be a problem mate.

19. Man, Steve, even a steering box is cleaner than a surgeons toolbox after you had it in your fingers! :D that's why the english carnuts are known as "komplett verrückt" over here! (totally crazy ya know)

Cheers, Carsten

20. 1928arat

1928arat
    from australia

Hi not sure if any one has tried it but early VW boxes work ok I used one in my a modified with a hand made pitman arm.

21. You guys that build all these bitch'n boxes, are truly inspiring. Makes me wish I hadn't misspent my youth!

22. JEM

JEM

Looks a little like it ought to say 'Kitchenaid' on it.

Those are Burman boxes, aren't they?

23. willymakeit

willymakeit

If you do the search, there is a thread here on the HAMB about reversing a Ranger or F150 box

24. jumbogem29

jumbogem29
    from Alabama

Good info keep it coming Thanks to all

25. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

Is there any other information on using these? I have heard that you do not reverse them. Is there a tech article on how they are set up? I have a 31 ply. that I'm thinking about building a high boy style out of and looking at using side cowl steering on it.
    If you have any other information on this I would sure Like that.
    :cool:

26. JEM

JEM

Here's one that'll provide a decent starting point to look around, there's others that'll surrender themselves to a little search-fu:

http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305256

Seems like a decent candidate for my roadster project, keep my eyes open to pick one up if one turns up at the right price.

Going rate eBay, car-part.com, etc. looks to be $75-125 used. There seem to be at least two and possibly three different interchange listings for this box design, '67-71 and '72-up I think, not sure what the differences are.

What would be handy is rebuilding details for this box...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  27. deucemac

deucemac

The gear boxes were not nly too close, they were actually bolted to the head and became a heat sink during the race causing them to bind up!

28. deucemac

deucemac

I am running a Profile sprint car power steering box which is a 12::1 unit and use a stock Gm p/s pump. I have no problems and it works quite well. I went with it because I wanted no holes at all in the floor and I run firestone ribbed fronts on the car. ribbed fronts look good but follow every groove in the lane and you fight the wheel. with the power gear it goes just where I choose to go. I bought it used off Evil bay and had Tommy Lee freshen it up.