Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Norm's A build!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by norms30a, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Looking good, Norm! The chop looks great and I also like the modern conveniences -- this really will be a fun, comfortable, reliable car.

My uncle over in LeMars, IA needs to see this thread. He has a nice '30/'31 Coupe body and has been collecting parts to build it. It'd be cool to see it turn out much like your car.

Malcolm

2. Grudge

Grudge

Norm your car looks awesome, great job.

3. norms30a

norms30a

thanks guys.Got done chopping my windshield frame tonight, and I mounted a non HAMB friendly black box under the dash lol.

Attached Files:

4. norms30a

norms30a

I finished my windshield frame by filing the corner welds away, nice and smooth. I also mounted my main electric panel so that welding is done.

I built a dual exhaust system using 2 1/4 inch pipe and a couple Flo master mufflers. I can get my finger between the pipe and the steering double D shaft so that should be enough room I think. I have an inch and a half under the rear end for movement.

Attached Files:

5. 41 C28

41 C28

Your A is looking good. What length shifter did you use?

6. Nice build! You have a lucky daughter!

7. norms30a

norms30a

Thanks guys, 41, my shifter is the longest Lokar has 32 inches I think.

8. 41 C28

41 C28

Thanks Norm. I'm going shifter shopping tomorrow for my A coupe.

9. TurboX2

TurboX2

I was wondering how the steering and ram horn exhaust would fit. It turned out nice. Car looks great!

10. norms30a

norms30a

I mounted my hood by making 4 spring loaded dead bolt latches. Kind of bad pictures but you get the idea.

The front receivers just bolt to the radiator, the rear 2 I could not think of a nice clean way to bolt them on so I ended up welding them on.

I had to remove a sliver of metal from the hood top near the center in the front to get the gap correct, looks good now.

Attached Files:

11. norms30a

norms30a

My daughter has a lucky dad.

12. norms30a

norms30a

Sanding, sanding, sanding, sanding, getting sore, sanding more.

Attached Files:

13. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Lookin' Good!!! It won't be long now!!!

14. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Reading your lost posts and was thinking about making a joke, :D a farmer building such a nice car and no bailing wire and then you go and make my day #190 not wire but twine will do:D all shi- aside nice work

15. norms30a

norms30a

I would be lost without my ball of baler twine,:D. I have wire too.

16. norms30a

norms30a

I think I am done sanding bondo, now I think I need to tear this thing apart and start to prime stuff.:cool:

Attached Files:

17. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Nice work! The priming part is always a big step!

18. norms30a

norms30a

Got it mostly torn apart, now I can prime all the sheet metal before high humidity days get here. I won't have to clean surface rust again that way.

Seems kinda weird to have it back in pieces, almost like I haven't worked on the thing at all.:(

Attached Files:

19. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Great looking build.

20. badgeree

badgeree

Hi Norm, I can't believe I've only just found this Thread.
    I love what you've done with you're Coupe, (There can never be too many Model A's).
    Rolf's coupe was my favourite as well.
    I'll bet your daughter gets as exited as you when progress is made.
    Got any colours picked out yet?
    Keep up the good work, I'm now a fan.

21. Koolman

Koolman

Inspirational. Thanks for the great pics & posts. You have talent!

22. norms30a

norms30a

Winter is here so it's time to work on the hot rod again. After harvest I started block sanding sheet metal and to date I have all the sheet metal parts blocked out with 180. I also have them blocked wet with 400 so all sheet metal stuff is ready for paint.

I made some slight notches in the frame so the front springs have slightly more room. I also boxed in the front shock mounts for a slightly more finished look, at least I think so.

I made a primitive rotisserie so I can spin my frame to spray it, it's not much but it works. Next I have to sand the frame.

23. norms30a

norms30a

try pictures again

Attached Files:

24. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

25. norms30a

norms30a

Thanks, Today I finished up sanding the frame and got it moved out of the way. Now I have a few smaller pieces left to clean and prime.

Attached Files:

26. norms30a

norms30a

Got the pieces done for the front end and I did the rear end as one piece, lots easier to reassemble that way, and I didn't disassemble the spring because I don't want paint between the leaves.
    Next I need to tip the body on end and do the underside of the floor.

Attached Files:

27. norms30a

norms30a

Today I built a little cradle so I could tip the body up on end. Now I can do some work underneath.

Attached Files:

28. norms30a

norms30a

I got the bottom of the body primed today so now all the car parts are primed.

It's time to pick a color, I hate this part, little chips in a book don't always look the same on a big pannel.:(

I have not decided if I want to go with metallic or non, I am thinking non metallic is a cooler old car look, then there's clear coat or not to clear coat.:confused:

Attached Files:

29. Bluedot

Bluedot

Norm - I am at a similar stage on my coupe, though not nearly as nicely done as yours. RE the color and clear coat, my suggestion would be if you go metallic, clearcoat really makes it "pop". On non-metallic, IMO it makes very little difference, and clearcoat always makes repairs (road rash, etc) more difficult. Mine will be driven a lot, so I'm going with a non-met and no clear. Cheaper too, and I'm a cheap bastard. (Ask my bride.)
    Regardless of what you choose, be sure to check out TPCGlobal.com if you haven't already. They have it all, and prices are good. Urethanes, enamels, lacquers, OEM colors and custom. All the supplies too. Many good reviews here on HAMB. TPC will get my business.

PS - I am envious of all your workspace. Those of us who have to move our daily drivers out of the garage to get anything done have a hard time getting motivated this time of year.

30. norms30a

norms30a

Bluedot, thanks, I just spent time on TPCGlobal's web site and they do have it all. I even found a color I like called Royal Maroon, non metallic and non clear coat.

Don't know if I'm brave enough to order on-line not knowing if the screen on my computer is showing true color or not.

I am also not building a "show" car, I hope to rack up lots of road rash and miles and memories with this thing.

I feel fortunate that I have the space I need, the 20 by 20 space I use for painting is where I store my hot rod stuff all summer when I need the rest of the shop for farm use, but all winter I can use the whole building to play in.:D