Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mercury. Ass dragging, rail layin' slammed or mildly lowered how have you done yours?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by judder_man, Mar 7, 2013.

1. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

I want your knowledge and pics please.

My car is a '50' mercury 4 door.

I intend to lower my '50' mercury asap. I want to bag it but as i understand bags don't lower they raise so i need to lower to a point I'm happy with by another means. I dont want to clip it as were having a bit of hassle with modified cars in U.K. at the mo so I cant really cut the rear chassi either.

The options I'm aware of are as follows. . . . . . . . .

Please help me fill any gaps or offer alternatives thanks.

Front

Dropped spindles.

Boxing the lower A arms. Can someone tell me how deep I can go with the arm box or raise? I know the off the shelf items do about 2" but can you space the lower spring cups more than that?

The rear

Blocks to raise the rear axle. How deep a block?
    I intend to use a combination of air shocks and bags on the rear axle so how many leaves can i get away with removing from the rear and do i need arrest the rear axle some how if i take out a load of leaves?

So what have you used? sizes? measurements? And pics would be great thanks

[​IMG]

2. How low are you looking to go?

3. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

As low as i can without compromising the chassi.

4. By the look of that thing you nearly as low as you can go in the back without notching the frame. You may be bouncing off the snubbers as is. Put air shocks in the back so you have some adjustment (friends in the trunk)
    As far as the front goes, drop spindles and lowering springs are your best bet.

5. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

In the pic it has 2 flat tyres and a knacked rear shock. Im pretty sure its currently stock height.

[​IMG]

6. mikes51

mikes51

I think his tires are flat in that photo. Come to think of it, an elderly lady said to me once, "son, I think you've got a flat tire on your car":)

Seriously, Chopped51 is right, with the mods you mentioned, you are in for a real bumpy ride. The exception being dropped spindles but those are not a quick and easy modification. You have to break the kingpin loose for that, could be a real tough job. Careful removing too many rear leafs if they are original leafs. Lots of times some are cracked from age.

7. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

these mercs had 2 coils cut out of the front, a 3" block and the 3 longest leafs in the rear. if i needed them to go higher, i would air up the air shocks on the rear. you will need to put a small C in the frame on the rear. not a full notch just a small C trimmed out of the bottom side of the frame. Your drive shaft will rub the floor where it meets the rear seat pan also..If you dont want to run air shocks leave 4 leafs in the rear...Another option on the front is Ford Aerostar coils for about $70 bucks.

Thats the easiest way. If i was buying stuff, i would use the dropped uprights, steering arms and the trick tierod kit from fatman or something that are available for the mercs.

Attached Files:

8. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Thanks for the info. This is what I have at mo. the bags were taken from another mercury but I picked up the air shocks seperately. I was intending to use a combination of both. Anyone tried this before or would standard dampners be better?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Fermiumhalo

Fermiumhalo
    from Japan

are you doing Bag over Leaf setup?

10. DjNeil

DjNeil

Been through the kingpin saga. When they don't want to come out they don't want to come out
    I did what slddnmatt recommended and worked fine
    good luck
    Think this or similar was posted on rods n sods a while back for reference

11. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Yeah, I bought the set up from a friend. It came off a 51 and was fitted bag over leaf springs. It's a bit of a quick fit/fix I know but I have enough of a job on with my fleetline which will get a better set up. I'm looking to get the mercury usable ASAP so went for the easy option which is why I thought the air shox might make it a bit more sturdy?

12. Check out the HAMB Merc Club thread.....everything you would ever want to know shared there.

13. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Cheers bob ill check it out.

14. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Yours look great, whats the ride like on them?