Register now to get rid of these ads!

216 oiling system *UPDATE* with VIDEO

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31aBoy, Mar 3, 2013.

1. 31aBoy

31aBoy

I got the 216 in my old 52 Chevy deluxe fired up today after it had sat since '75.

Problem is I can't get oil to the top of the rocker shaft. I pulled the distributor, and worked the pump with a power drill and flat blade bit on a long extension in a clockwise rotation. After 5 minutes of that and no oil at the rockers, I noticed there was oil coming out around the lid of the fram filter that's mounted with u bolts to the intake manifold.

So I know the pump is pumping, but I can't figure out why the oil pumps into the filter but not up top to the rocker shaft.

What path does the oil flow from-to?

Also, oil is pumped into the side of the filter near the top, but how does it exit the bottom center?

I'd really like to get the oil system working properly before I do anything more.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  2. wheelnut46

wheelnut46
    from RI, USA

My understanding is that all 216 and 235 up until 1954 were splash lube, no oil pump.

3. The 216 does have a pump, I'ts only the bottom end which is splash feed.
    The oil feed to the top end goes via a small tube, which you will find behind your side plate. It passes thruogh a hole in the head.
    This feeds the middle of your rocker shaft. You may find it has been squashed or kinked.

4. wheelnut46

wheelnut46
    from RI, USA

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that.

5. 31aBoy

31aBoy

I have the side cover off and didn't find any kinks in this line. What is the path of travel for the whole oiling system?

6. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

7. GREASER815

GREASER815

The bottom isn't totally splash like your thinking like a small engine. There is an oil rail in there spraying at the rods and the rod dippers are catching the oil stream. Is the top end all full of crap? Pull the rocker shaft and see if anything being blocked by hardened old buildup. You just gotta dig after stuff like this. Hooked a gauge to it? Good pressure?

8. 31aBoy

31aBoy

I was hoping to pull the rocker shaft as a last resort

9. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Pull the line loose on one end and see if you get oil while spinning the pump. Make sure the dist is all the way down and has slotted into the oil pump. Are you sure you're spinning the pump the correct direction?

10. 31aBoy

31aBoy

I used a power drill, and it pumped plenty of oil into the bypass filter, I was drilling in the clockwise direction, which I'm damn sure is the right direction.

11. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

If you pull the line and you get no oil there while getting oil elsewhere it is probably in the oil distributor, that's where they meter the oil with a restriction.

Here is a link to the shop manual.

49-53 Manual

Hoop

12. Snarl

Snarl

The oil line is behind the oil distribution cover which is that small tin plate on the drivers side of the block. The line may be plugged up with sludge from sitting so long.

If you were to take the oil filter cover off and look at the tube in the center of the filter housing, you would see a small hole in the side of the tube. As the oil passes through the filter, it finds its way to that hole, and then back to the engine. The hole helps to regulate the pressure/flow of the oil through the filter. If it wasn't there, you would loose most of the oil pressure inside the engine.

13. 31aBoy

31aBoy

I pulled the filter off and cleaned it out, no sludge at all, small hole in center tube wasn't clogged.
    uploadfromtaptalk1362437368359.jpg

Spinning the oil pump with a drill pumped oil out of the top hose. If I plugged it with my finger, it came out of the bottom hose. (both of these hoses were plumbed into the oil filter)
    uploadfromtaptalk1362437508541.jpg

But I didn't get anything out of this. Should I try capping the lines that attaches to the oil filter, and spin the oil pump? Maybe it will build enough pressure to blast its way through, if It's clogged up.
    uploadfromtaptalk1362437670882.jpg

14. Snarl

Snarl

Does the oil line go back to the rear cam bearing, or go through the block to the other side under the distribution cover?

Is it solid or hydraulic lifters?

Disconnect both ends and blow some air through it.

The oil filter has nothing to do with your problem. It can be block off and not used if you like.

15. 31aBoy

31aBoy

On the drivers side of the motor: one line appears to go straight through the block to the other side. The other enters the block about half way front to back, if that makes sense.

16. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

216 had pressure to the mains, cam bearings. also sprayed oil out of pipes in the oil pan at the rods. The oil line going to the rockers was a problem at times. It most likely is plugged some where, or the little line is kinked. Lots of times they got damaged when the head was removed. There was not a lot of oil going to the rockers. It takes a while for it to get there, not like a newer engine. Your engine should have 15 lbs of pressure.

17. R Pope

R Pope

216's have solid lifters.
    Try shooting air pressure down the line that goes to the top end. It may be plugged with crud from sitting.

18. 31aBoy

31aBoy

As soon as I get my compressor hooked up ill try some air through the lines. Where is the other end of the line that feeds the rockers? It goes into the block under the side cover, where does it go from there? Through the block and out the other side and up to the top of the filter, correct?

19. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

No ! The filter has nothing to do with oil flow to the rocker area. IF you are getting oil flow out of both lines going to the filter one of them is not connected correctly. Pressuregoes into the line on the filter housing side and drains back into the pan from the bottom line. There should be a 1/16th" restictor fitting in the OF plumbing normally on the inlet side. You MUST have that restrictor fitting otherwise you will bleed off to much oil pressure. Get on ebay and get a "Motor's" manual that covers the year of your car, it will have all you ever wanted to know about the lube system on these old Chevy's.

20. 31aBoy

31aBoy

"OF plumbing" ? Oil flows through the top hose, unless I plug that line with my finger, then it comes up from the bottom hose.. I'm still unsure how the oil is supposed to drain out the bottom hose. The only way it can drain.through the bottom hose is.if.it passes through a fine pin point hole in the side of the.center tube.

21. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

That oil line that you have disconnected (in the bottom photo) should have oil coming out as you spin the pump clockwise with a drill. That line is coming from the oil distributor, under the little triangular metal cover below the exhaust manifold (driver's side, about the center front-to-back but below the manifolds). I would do 2 things here - first, the filter is a seperate issue but could be robbing some (or most) of the available oil pressure, I would take if off for now and plug the holes (I think they take regular pipe plugs) you can work on the filter after you get the top end oiling. 2nd, remove the 3 screws holding the oil distributor cover, check to see if anything is crudded up in there, I believe you can also remove the fitting on the line that goes up to the rockers. With the line removed, spin the pump again and see if oil spews out the distributor, if it does, you have a clog in the line going to the rockers, if it doesn't, the clog is somewhere between the pump and the oil distributor.

Too many words - but I hope that helps.

22. 31aBoy

31aBoy

More good advice waldo! Thank you, as soon as it gets above 30 and stops blowing snow ill work on it some more.

23. 31aBoy

31aBoy

Is there a trick to getting the third flat blade screw out of the oil distributor cover?

24. Snarl

Snarl

a screwdriver. Use one with a square shank and you can use a cresent wrench to help add some leverage.

like I said before, take that plate off and you will find the other end of the oil line that goes to the rocker arm, and then blow some air through it.

25. 31aBoy

31aBoy

I got it running this weekend and oil coming out the rocker weep holes! I removes the filter and capped the lines, then I unscrewed the fitting at the rocker arm shaft and tried to shove a wire down the line, which didn't get.me very far. So I took the air nozzle and blew till it started gurgling in.the oil pan! So with line now clear, I reconnected it, and ran the drill to the oil pump. 20 seconds later and the oil was coming out good at the rockers! I put the distributor back in and it fired right up and even idled good! Next is adjust the valves, clean or replace the gas tank, and then on to the clutch and brakes!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  26. 31aBoy

31aBoy

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FmjfTDH2irM" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

short video

27. old1946truck

old1946truck

28. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

I remember some "old hand" showing me how to adjust those valves running, heck his feeler gauges were beat out wide enuf to flip burgers.

This guy put 2 327 popup pistons in backwards, I didn't know much but I thought the popups should all line up!!

I was told to shut up until it wouldn't turn over, then he got fired.

29. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Good for you, that's the best feeling in the world! Hats off for bringing another stovebolt back from the dead. Just a nickel's worth of free advice: tackle the gas tank next. It will give you fits to suck up old sediment once you get it rolling. I put it off in my '47 and it wound up grounding me for a few months while I rebuilt the carb and waited for a new tank to arrive.

Your '52 will be buzzing around in cruise season in just a few months. Enjoy the heck out of her. Many miles left in that 216 with a little TLC. Hit me up if you ever need a hand.

30. 31aBoy

31aBoy

So now I'm concerned that some of the internal oil lines might be plugged up with sludge. I want to pull the oil pan and check that the oil squirters arnt plugged. I've heard that pulling the pan is a pain, and I should align the squirters and troughs when the pan is pulled. Any advice or suggestions here?