Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Found on Kijiji 1928 Roadster!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RetroSteel, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Thanks servi53!:D

2. Heres the difference between ford and kelseys.......
    Ford:
    [​IMG]
    Kelsey Hayes:
    [​IMG]

Kelsey Hayes was for the most part, an aftermarket wheel company, although I think some higher end cars came with them stock......
    Hope this helps,
    Joe

3. Thanks for the wheel ID info Joe!

4. your welcome!
    I'm really enjoying your build, you have a great looking roadster in the works!

Joe

5. Took the frame over to a retired auto body/painter friend of mine. He will get it smooth on the ouside of the '32 rails and from the cowl forward. The rest of the frame will be left as is, just primered & painted a gloss black. Will update when painted.
    [​IMG]

6. Brought the painted frame, rear end & straight axle back from being painted.
    [​IMG]

7. Satin black O'Brien Truckers Optima battery Box. I took a die grinder and knocked down the powder coat on the fins and then rough polished them.
    [​IMG]

8. bmxarmy

bmxarmy

I knew the previous owner of this car. Great local hot rodder and a great guy to talk and deal with. Glad to see the project land in good hands! Good luck with the build, Im subscribed!

9. I bought the roadster from Rick Novak, but i have never met him! I had my son in law go look at it and purchase it for me and he also stored it for me for a couple of months. Let him know it's on the H.A.M.B. and he can follow the build. Who know's maybe one day we'll cruise to Alberta in it!:D

10. Very nice job on the frame so far!

11. Took a couple of pix today of the nearly assembled frame. The front tie rods, panhard bar, pitman arm and rear ladder bars are all powder coated. Painted the tie rod ends. Nuthin' fancy here, just basic gloss black!:cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Oneilfab

Oneilfab

looks good! cant wait to see the body sitting on the frame!

13. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

14. Thanks Guys!

Project is going along smoothly so far! In a week or two will be mounting the body back on the frame for the last time so we can properly shim the body for the door alignment. As anyone who has restored a roadster knows, once you take it off the frame, the roadster body looses any rigidty that it had, making fitting the doors impossible.

15. Friend Satch Willis bent up the brake lines. Used an inline Ron Francis brake light switch along with proper residual valves (front & rear) and a proportioning valve for the rear brake bias.
    Where the body sits on top, we did'nt smooth the frame, just from the cowl forward.
    [​IMG]
    Front brake lines
    [​IMG]
    Drilled & chromed the brake pedal to match the chrome drilled gas pedal I'll be using.
    [​IMG]
    Primered body has been sanded to 400 grit
    [​IMG]
    Will shim body to frame to get door gaps & height. Once the body is bolted down, will install safety door locking pins.
    [​IMG]

16. Installed 2 inch chopped & leaned back windshield posts. Along with the 2 inch chopped chromed '32 windshield frame (installed blue/green safety glass)
    Also installed rubber along bottom & sides. Had to use weather strip adhesive on the side rubbers as they were not a tight fit.

[​IMG]

17. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dang Retro!!! It's looking awesome!!! I figured with the way your T sedan turned out this one was gonna be good too... and you haven't let me down!! :D

18. Nocero

Nocero

Wow I love that frame! I regretted using a square tube frame and wish I had thought of that! Man that is the perfect solution.

19. Amazing how a few pieces really pull it all together. Looking great.

20. Thanks chaddilac! Got some design changes & hopefully a BIG annoucement coming up on this build by the end of the year, so stay tuned!:cool:

Thanks Fuzzy!

Nocero, I originally ordered and test fit the 28/29 winshield frame. It is slightly narrower and has a "rounded design" which i did'nt like. Sent it back and ordered the Brookville '32 style for the 28/29 which i like much better!:)

Thanks chopped51!

21. i like this roadster..

22. It's been a while since i posted. Here are a few update pics.
    Been busy insulating. Using a couple of different products. One is a sound deadner called Zero Noise. Here you can see it in the trunk lid & rear quarters. To use in the trunk lide & inside of the doors i cut it into 3 or 4 inch strips. Used another self adhesive product by Dynaliner for the (16 Gauge steel) bulkhead which seperates the fuel tank from the interior.
    [​IMG]
    Here you can see the Zero Noise used behind the partial cage. Dynaliner was used on this side of the bulhead also. Predrilled the cage for 1/4 inch NF bolts.

[​IMG]
    Used 24 gauge aluminium to make the panels on either side of the bench seat. The aluminium had to be formed as the down tube is actually concave in shape. These panels wrap around the cage and are attached with 1/4 inch NF button head stainless bolts.(use anti seize on these bolts or they could bind) Used dynaliner on both sides of these panels also. Used Zero Noise strips in the doors also.
    BIG difference in sound quality when closing the doors now.
    [​IMG]

23. One of the things that we put into the original doors was a safety "deadbolt" type lock. Normally used in vehicles with suicide doors we adapted them for use in the roadster. It is located directly underneath the interior door latch.
    Note* '28 Ford Roadsters do not have an outside door handles
    [​IMG]
    One of things i found was it was difficult to get in & out of the roadster (stock doors are very short) with the column (Speedway) that came with the roadster. So I sold that column & wheel to my neigbor who is building a 31 Ford Coupe. Found Tri-C Engineering made a polished 5 position tilt 1 3/4 inch diameter column. Comes wired for the horn and also has turn signals! :D They will make it to any length for your application. Had to modify the positioner on the firewall so the brake pedal would clear.
    [​IMG]
    Here you can see the column where it exits the firewall and hooks up to the steering shaft.
    [​IMG]
    Limeworks drilled 4 spoke wheel will be used. Here is the column in the up most position.
    [​IMG]
    In the lowest position
    [​IMG]
    Mounted the drilled gas pedal & the Ron Francis Express fuse panel. Used thicker Dynaliner (1/2 thick) for the firewall and floor boards. Originally was going to mount the fuse panel under the passenger side of the bench seat but decided against that because it was too close to the spring and i was concerned the springs could hit the fuse panel.
    [​IMG]

24. Here are a few update pics
    Here is a plate i had restored by
    http://www.darrylsplates.com/
    Very happy with his work to say the least!:D
    [​IMG]

The REALLY BIG news on this build, is that I'am now officially building this roadster to raise money & awareness for the "Make a Wish" charity in Canada. In August 2014 myself & my wife Joan will drive this roadster from Vancouver Island, British Columbia to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Including a stop in Prince Edward Island it will be aprox. 4178 Miles one way! Dave Schaub from California who did the 49 states in 9 days and later 49 States in 7 days has been acting as a mentor. He raised aprox. $150,000 for Ronald MacDonald House in California.
    The inspiration for this epic journey is our 5 year old grand daughter, Marley, who had a 5 hour brain surgery in Nov. 2011 to help with her seizures. The Make a Wish Northern Alberta & Northlands Corp paid for her trip to Disney World so she could full fill her wish to meet Tinker Bell. We met her family in Orlando and was so impressed with how the Make a Wish treated her & her family like VIP's that i thought if there was a way to give back i would.
    100% of the proceed go to Make a Wish and is Tax Deductable as this will be a registered charity. I will update you on the progress of this special build and i hope that members of the H.A.M.B. can now understand why i have chosen some of the pieces for this roadster to make it as comfortable and reliable as possible.
    Your support in what ever way would be greatly appreciated.:)
    We will be both close to sixty years old when we attempt this and I'am building it to go that extra mile!:D

Here is the laser engraved shifter knob
    [​IMG]
    330 hp 350 GM Crate Motor
    [​IMG]
    Make a Wish powder coated steel 16 x 4 1/2 inch, 5 on 5 1/2 single bolt pattern Wheel Vintque rims. Also have V8 Stainless hubcaps for these rims.
    [​IMG]

25. Rockabilly M68

Rockabilly M68

Very cool! I'll be following this!!!

26. Thanks!

27. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Beautiful looking roadster!

28. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Looking good...

29. Oneilfab

Oneilfab

lovin the blue steelies! going to look great with the car painted black!