Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1961 Impala with lake pipes..thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by revjan, Mar 5, 2013.

1. revjan

revjan

Got a 1961 four door Impala..was thinking at some point maybe putting lake pipes on. Any thoughts, opinions, do's and dont's, technical problems etc?

2. Mildsteel

Mildsteel
    from VALE N.C.

With lake pipes comes the lowering and scallops fender skirts and moon disks other wise a dumb idea! just saying.

3. slammed

slammed

They need to go with a complete theme. Smoothed body, lowered more than 3" both ends. Wheel tire combo. 17"+ do not cut it here. And the pipes have to be full length. You want the entire vehicle to flow smoothly from front to back.

4. revjan

revjan

Thanks so far for the responses. Trying to post a pic of what I've got. Fell off the HAMB for a while..now getting back again.

5. revjan

revjan

Here are some pics of the car
    1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Single "outlet" or multiple on each side? I think it would look good, but that's my opinion. Boils down to what do you like? It's your car, after all. Oh, I think the two trains would look good with lakes pipes, too (would definitely make a statement coming through the stations!)

7. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

Go with full length ,2 dumps per side,make them real, not dummys.
    It would give the car a little bing,

8. revjan

revjan

was thinking single. Wonder also if these are a problem etc with noise and rattle etc. Read that somewhere too. Some thought in general these things were noisy and not in the deep throttle sense.

9. revjan

revjan

hmm..2 per side is a thought

10. Lowered with a simple wheel/tire combo and lakes or bellflowers. Oh... and the right headlights! :D

Attached Files:

11. Maybe some bellflowers instead?

12. Nice lookin car. I would be leaning towards Bellflower tips over lake pipes. Lake pipes seem to "fit" better on a 50's car

13. revjan

revjan

always the proper headlights. Hey if anyone has pics of either the lake pipes, or bellflowers post them so I can see how it could look. thanks

14. Nope....if you must....Go Lakes Plugs in the front wheel wells.....In many cases, the Full Lakers are an attempt to recapture a time and style. Like Fuzzy Dice being representative of the era. Moredoors are nearly always a compromise. Without downing your car or your passion...if it was mine, I'd go with Plugs in the Wheel Wells and "hint" at was was going on under the hood with a Mild Rake.....Centurion9

15. revjan

revjan

16. What kind of look are you going with the car?

17. revjan

revjan

well...want to lower it....not going for anything car show high end. Almost more sleeper. Sooo just the subtle look...that makes it not really eye catching..but then makes you think..if any of that made sense! lol
    So...more how it looks now..but lowered, really.

18. revjan

revjan

nothin high performance..more a cruiser

19. Great idea....Subtle is an Awesome concept! Much like to the too often overlooked "Mild Custom"....You have a nice car without a doubt...Teach the rest of us how great is is to maximize what we have. That's what customs are all about. Watching your Thread...Best. Centurion9

20. toucan

toucan
    from sc

pipes-yes! lower-yes! have fun-oh yes!

21. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

First off cool car, secondly glad you are actually doing something with it.
    As metioned before it's a 60's car and lake pipes are more of a 50's type style.
    I say bellflower tips skinny whitewalls and supremes or cragar ss 14" chrome wheels.
    cut 1.5 coils off the front and 2 coils off the rear and she will be sittin pretty, maybe throw a lil pinstripin on her or eventually a flaked roof. this of course is my opinion, do a 60's car in 60's style

22. doliak

doliak

wrong year but you get the idea. also i made mine from stainless and welded my brackets on i hate the look of the ones with clamp on brackets

Attached Files:

23. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I agree with centurion9, lake plugs.. There is plenty of front wheel well for them and look pretty cool...

24. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

Lake plugs or bellflower tips.

25. cmarcus

cmarcus

doliak - that is a nice looking ride! Love it.

I like the idea of bellflowers as well - especially with supremes and WWs.

26. I always thought this '61 was cool. It'd be nice to have a four door to go crusin' with the kids or take the in-laws out to get an ice cream cone..........E

Attached Files:

27. I've been thinking of the plugs in the fender well since the first post. If you don't plan on a fancy shmansy repaint don't go with bell flowers or full lakers, too much bling for a plain brown wrapper sedan

28. chubbie

chubbie

1961?? lake pipes would be period correct! fuzzie dash:( fuzzie sun visers;) shrunk'n head from the mirror, cruiser skirts (i like short skirts much better) you have a bunch of stuff to choose from and still be period correct..xcept for the 4 door

29. I repeat, lowered 3 or 4 inches all the way around, skinny whites, '61 Polara 3 bar spinners and ripple lakes. That MoFo would be badass!

Attached Files:

30. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I don't think so.....................