Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roll Call • Hot rods with Spun Aero Discs? So-What coupe, Jesse James roadster, etc?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kevin Lee, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hoping to see some fresh pictures of cars (preferably finished) with these wheelcovers installed. I still have a few pics saved of my own car and have seen a few of the others here on the HAMB... just hoping to see something new.

Attached Files:

Deuces and kiwijeff like this.
  2. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

FNG question: are moon disc covers considered spun? Or are you looking for covers that have a cap in the center only?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Kevin is looking for pics of the Spun Aero discs he was making some years back.

fwiw, moon discs are also spun. Trivia tidbit Ak Miller ran spun discs on his Miller's Missile modified roadster in '51-'52, Dean Moon got permission to use Ak's idea to make and sell what became Moon discs.

Back to regular programming.

4. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I've often wondered if you could cut the center out of a Moon (type disc) and use the center cap off the original wheel of your choice to sandwich the disk between the cap and wheel.

I'm sure you guys have already put alot of thought and research into this very idea, so what do you think?

I guess you would still attach the outside with screws or dzus fasteners, but not sure.

I love the look with the original center caps. Screams land speed car....

5. Thats how SPUN brand disks that Kevin produced worked. Very elegant product.

6. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Ahhh.. Okay, so the "Spun Aero" is the name of the cap he made. I wasn't sure and needed some clarifying on that part, whether he was looking for his product specifically, or spun discs in general.

So far, all I have to offer are the pictures of the Jesse James roadster I shot at the Round-Up and the Revolution..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll look and see if there are any shots I've saved off here hiding in my stash somewhere..

7. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think someone's already tried to do that..

[​IMG]

8. mattrod68

mattrod68

looks like it worked just fine

matt

chickenshift likes this.
  9. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

TexasSpeed – Thanks for those – hadn't seen them before. Especially liked the 5W with the polished ones even though I've always thought they should be painted to match the body of the car. (I think Jesse James' roadster would look better if they were done that way)

Tman – There are definite differences between what I did and Moon discs. The overall shape of the Moons are different. I pretty much looked at the Hilborn streamliner and said, "Those rule... so I'm going to make those." Mine have a reveal stamped into the center for the cap to fit in. They are made specifically for '35 wire wheels and perfectly fill the gap between the hub and rim. That said, you can screw them onto any 16" wheel and the center cap will pop right into the disc itself.

The Moon discs on the grey roadster look cool, but the front looks different than the rear, almost like they tried to add the reveal to the rear one? But that might be a reflection.

No surprise, but I prefer the shape of mine and the added detail of having the cap sunken into the middle versus floating on top.

10. Turns

Turns

These are what I want to run on my project which has 16" Mainline steel rims.

I thought they were 30's Packard fitment

Love them

Cheers Turns

11. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Here's a better picture of that car with the discs that I tagged you in on Instagram.

[​IMG]

(Photo credit - bossmustang)

12. Kevin, I still need to get you that dimension for what I want. I haven't forgot. Just have not got what I need yet. I'm working on it. Here's my favorite picture. These are the steel ones you did for me.These will go on my coupe. I just had to use them for Bonneville. Still have not taken them off yet. Maybe they will stay. I love them. These are mounted on solids.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
    kidcampbell71 and kiwijeff like this.
  13. Here is an older pic of the aluminum ones.

Attached Files:

14. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

The streaks on the black ones?

Trippy, man..

15. I really love these, is this the last runn of these you are going to make ?

16. Kev, I knew yours were designed to work with the 35 wires. Moons are simpletons in comparison. Like I said, elegant. You are commended for a part that future trad rodders will covet and copy.

17. Beau

Beau

This is a fella from MN.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  18. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

I wish I could afford a set of these for my modified! So cool...

19. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Aw man... that last picture is KILLING ME. That's my old hot rod and it's wearing the first set off of the tooling!

I would honestly consider trading everything in my garage right now to have it back... and that's a lot of stuff.

20. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes sir. Get 'em here while you can.

21. -Brent-

-Brent-

Oh man, I want a set.

22. Shows how much I've missed around here.....I didn't even know you'd sold it Kevin! I STILL have the trash-can lid grill-surround tech tucked in the back of my mind!

23. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, I must have sold it over five years ago. Originally to a guy from Tennessee, then it went on to Iowa. I also saw it pop up on ebay with some "Bonneville history" mentioned in the description.

I'm not sure how it ended up where it is currently but someday I would like to thank the current owner. I think he "gets it".

24. That car was you! I still look at that shot of you and I at the HAMB Drags starting line with my T and your mod and smile, that was fun!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have a PM sir.

25. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yahoo Kevin,just received mine today.First Rate, Man!You Get It. Yeah,I know, no pictures.It will be a while.

26. 41fastback

41fastback

Got mine today. Love 'em. Thanks man. No pics. "A" is totally apart.

27. 46Chief

46Chief

My set arrived today and the covers are Beautiful! What would you guys do if you wanted to mount them without screws? I thought about getting a set of 16"imitation Moon discs, cutting out the centers and bonding or welding them to the the backside of the new discs. Is there another way? ideas?

28. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I believe Jesse's roadster has them screwed to the wheel under the center cap. And I think I remember Ryan telling me Kieth Tardel did a set the same way several years ago. Just don't expect the center cap alone to hold them in place.

I honestly like the look of exposed fasteners.

29. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I heard there was once a rare similar made made of steel, now worth millions!
    Glad to see that your old roadster hasn't been badly treated.

30. coop31

coop31

Kevin, that's my 32 5w at the Rodders Journal Show in Oct last year, everybody loved the Caps and they are Screwed on. A couple of years ago I knocked a dent in one and worked it out and it made it shinny, so I hand rubbed out the others to match. I think I bought them in 07 and have enjoyed them ever since! Thanks, Todd