Register now to get rid of these ads!

1958 Corvette Intake Value?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by el diablo, Mar 4, 2013.

1. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

I have a chance to do some trade work for a 1958 small block dual quad intake manifold with the original carters, linkage, and rebuilds for both carbs. Manifold and both carbs are in grate shape and have been stored since the 70's. We are going to settle on a value and I'm going to keep track of time spent till the deal is met. I thought this thing would have some value but not sure how much. The guy says it worth about 1500-1800 :eek: Is that about rite or too much?

It might make its way onto the small block in my shoebox if I end up getting it.

If anyone knows the value of this thing and if thats a reasonable price please let me know.

Thanks

-Dane

2. oldolds

oldolds

He is in the ball park. If the carbs are date matched and 2x4 carbs. Air cleaner would add 25% to that price. They are not really rare. Same set-up till 62?

3. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

That would seem like a very reasonable price. Ford factory dual quads bring that with no problem. Corvette would bring more?

4. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Thanks guys. It has no air cleaner with it. As long as the price seems fair it's worth it for me to help him out.

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Just make sure that the WCFBs on the intake actually are the correct dual quad carbs.

6. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

Actually worth closer to $2,000 as a good used complete core. Make sure they are the correct carburetors first. A lot of people swapped them out for Mopar dual quad carters since they were suppose to have more CFM.

7. I sold that same setup, only carbs needed rebuild and a couple of small pieces, for $850 over 15 years ago. They were the correct carbs for his setup. I'd say you are in the right ballpark.

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Unless you want it for a specific year Corvette I wouldn't get all hung up with part no.s.

To me Corvette prices are inflated to use for a hot rod. I don't know of any numbers matching hotrods. I know you have to compete with those prices but you don't have to pay those prices.

9. aaggie

aaggie

Unless you just have to have the original setup you can buy it all new for less money. New Edelbrock manifold with two new carbs and linkage would cost around $1000 from Speedway, Jeg's or Summitt.

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If they are correct carbs, he is giving you a pretty good deal. I would say $2000/$2500 range, and I tend to watch these.

11. lawman

lawman

I have the Edelbrock set up you speak of. The carb's are to close together to use the OME type Corvette breather's. Hope this help's.

12. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

corvette part values are established and verifiable ---make sure and agree on the value before starting the work---good luck...

13. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Thanks guys, he is a good guy and I did all the metal, body, and paint on the truck so I know he's a stand up guy. I don't really need the manifold but its a good excuse for me to help him help me by finishing his truck so people can see my work so I can get more:D It should help my run of the mill small block look a litter cooler as well. Here are a few pics of the truck after I gave it back to him. It came to me from a shop that loved bondo... Haha

Attached Files:

14. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Truck side shot image.jpg

15. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

They look cool as shit though, and hold their value when you resell them:D

If this roadster doesnt make your toes curl, I dont know what will;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  16. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

hey big duece,

Do you know if you can run two smaller air filters or will it have to be an oval? The pick of the intake was sweet. Do all the carbs have goldish color bodies? I dont remember it being that apparent on the manifold I saw? Im gonna have to get the numbers off of it.

17. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

18. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Yeah the stock circular one is ugly IMO. Maybe ill have to steal your idea and just split it into two small circular ones?

19. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Their are some options, the brass velocity stacks from the 70's look cool, but dont have any filtration. Just need to get creative if you want something different. Have to run the stock points style distributor, or at least a distributor that has the same dimensions as the stock unit, HEI will not fit.

Attached Files:

20. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The only original corvette parts you need to make it look like that are the intake, which usually goes for around $200/$250 and the exhaust manifolds. Everything else there you can sub other parts or re-pops.

22. oldolds

oldolds

I believe those are pick-up truck exhaust manifolds.

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, then let me re-phrase that...:eek::p

24. old buzz

old buzz
    from middle tn

had a set with intake, carbs, linkage, air filters, when I went to serve My country! My folks decided to move while I was overseas and gave away ALL My car parts, Thanks folks

25. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

That motor looks good with the twin filters on it. The housings are kinda plane but I'm sure I could come up with something a little cooler. Thanks for the pic.

26. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Hey Big duece,

Here are some pics I got of the set up today while doing some work. The brass tag on the first carb is missing but I go a pic of the second carb tag. Can I identify the front carb any other way?

Thanks
    -Dane

Attached Files:

27. From the picture, the carbs seem to be correct Corvette carbs. The tag which shows 2626S should really be on the front carb, the one with no choke. To be a matched pair, the second carb should be a number 2627S. Such a pair would have been correct for 1957 (245 HP or270HP) or for 1958-1960 245 HP.
    The casting numbers should be 6-1299 for the airhorn casting for both. You can see that number in your photo. Both carbs should have this cast in number, even though one has the drilling for the choke while the other does not. Other casting numbers you should be able to find are 0-049, 0-1049, and 1-1387B. If both carbs have all these numbers you have a matched pair that would be very valuable to a Corvette collector. The carbs with no choke are hard to find, but a match pair is a real score.

28. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

FritzJr is spot on, good advice. They look correct to me. The boosters, if angled or straight determined if was on a 245 or 270hp setup. I cant tell from the pic. The secondary counterweights also are different on different hp setups. One thing is easily overlooked is the front cast iron base, make sure there is NOT a hole drilled and tapped for the choke pulloff linkage, yours is a blank casting which is correct. The rear carb IS drilled and tapped for linkage hookups. All the correct linkage and fuel lines,(filters) can be bought from corvette central. Good luck!

Here is a pic of the booster, the angled booster is for the 270hp setup I believe.
    The 245hp booster is horizontal.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  29. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

;Sweet! I have started the work that I'm trading for the manifold. Glad to see that stuff looks to be what it should. When I get a chance I will cross reference the numbers given and I'm sure it will check out.

Hey big duece you can polish a turd by the way ;) saw it on mythbusters it's gotta be true.