Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone use TCP Global Restoration Shop paint?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DadsBlueFord, Mar 5, 2013.

1. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Any experiences good or bad of the TCP Global Restoration Shop paint? I'm looking at TCP urethane basecoat. It's way cheaper than PPG or HOK.

I'm doing epoxy and 2k primer from SPI (Southern Polyurethanes), as well as their clear. My car is epoxy primed already, and the SPI epoxy primer seems really good.

Any info on the TCP paint is appreciated.

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

I use their Pinstripers depot site and have had good luck and quick shipping!!

3. indyjps

indyjps

Im interested as well, I'd like to use their single stage on a long term project.

4. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Are those kustom kolors??? I have used the paint that summit sells and it covers great and matches spot on. Just another option.

5. I have no experience with their "Restoration Shop paint", but I have used their acrylic enamal on two of my vehicles, including the one in my avatar (I added/mixed to come up with the color though, still using TCP products)
    The paint and primer were fine, service was good, price was good.

6. BobMcD

BobMcD

I have heard good things about TCP global. Be sure to factor in the cost of shipping.
    I recently tried Wanda from a local vendor and liked it. Lower cost than PPG and covered well.

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Nobody should confuse me with a painter. I will compliment them for their color match for an old car though. I have always had a problem with getting the color that I want. I wanted the original platinum gray. I have a buddy with a body shop and a paint mixing system and gave him the code from the door jamb. not even close. So I ordered a pint and tried it under where the fender was removed and not exposed to the sun. A perfect match!! I was so happy. I used their BCCC paint.

[​IMG]

I'm very happy. I plan on using a pretty heavy coat of clear so that I can wet sand and polish out all my flaws.:D I'm a little scared of painting the body but I hope to give it a try when it warms up. My first attempt at BCCC. I'm happy with the firewall.

8. After paintin for over 40 years and using mostly PPG, BASF,Dupont,
    I thought I'd give it a try on a car I was flippin.
    Being I had a qt of single stage BASF Viper red, I shot the jambs in it and ordered a gallon of Base coat in Viper Red from them
    Basf = 535 TCP = 220 with freight
    Shoulda bit the bullet and bought BASF.
    Color wasn't even close to a true Viper red.
    Oh well, sold the car, won't ever use it again.
    Also was very sloooooooooo drying even though I used their fast reducer !

9. 63 Avanti 3137

63 Avanti 3137

From my painters forums lurking I find the best recommendations for less costly but still quality paints always include Wanda and ProSpray... and they have yet to include Summit or Restoration shop. Best quality for the price seems to be Pro Spray or Wanda...

10. jazz1

jazz1

I used the Restoration Shop Acrylic Urethane single stage on my sons daily driver.. I thought it was good quality for the price and easy to spray,,big on gloss and durability,, $125.00 to paint a truck red! and looked great 3 years down the road when he sold it..the paint looked great up close!

Warning : this is not a HAMB vehicle and may give viewer a permanent softon

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
    Do it Over likes this.
  11. rustang

rustang

I'm doing the same thing as you right now... I've got Nason 2K primer filler on the truck. And am planning to use the TCP restoration shop Base coat with SPI clear.....

I've bought some of the SPI sealer, and TCP base and SPI clear (all in quarts) to try the system out on some of the misc. parts (headlight buckets, filler panels, etc). Soon as the snow goes and it warms up a little that is.....

I will be watching your thread with interest... would like to know others experiances.......I will post how everything works out too once I try the paint out...
    Tom

54fierro likes this.
  12. 38jon

38jon
    from York,PA

I have used the hot rod flatz and single stage acrylic enamel from their restoration shop and pleased with both. Fair prices, fast shipping, and for the roadster the Model A color was spot on.

13. I used TCP single stage urethane a couple weeks ago. I'll be buying it again.

14. alaskaal

alaskaal
    from Delaware

Used their "Hot Rod Flatz" on my car. loved the results. Price is nice to boot!!!

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Anybody used the Restoration Shop acrylic lacquer? Just curious...

16. metalman

metalman

I use their single stage urathane and lacquers quite often. Been nothing but pleased and can't beat the price. I have never tried their BC/CC, last few years for BC/CC I used Prospray. Loved that product but we no longer have a jobber here that carries it.

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^Thanks Metalman. Stuff is cheap, thats for sure. I heard the lacquer is Nason?

18. rustang

rustang

George, I had heard that the Restoration Shop brand was re-badged PPG.... probably Omni? This was for the BC/CC.... Laquer, I have not heard whos it could be?

19. metalman

metalman

I have no idea what the paint is, my guess it's re-badged PPG as well since they are a PPG jobber. I do feel the single stage urathanes is PPG, it seems to be the same as Deltron DBU I use to use.

20. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I'm starting to lean toward Prospray, since that's what SPI recommends with their primers, and it's significantly cheaper than PPG.

21. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I got 2 gallons a 1 quart of the Acrylic enamel. Color is spot on. Haven't sprayed it yet.

22. ken1939

ken1939

I used the Restoration Paint, Enamel, on a 31 Chevy I have, decided to keep it stock. The colors are as close to the factory colors as they can get. They are easy to use, easy to mix and easy to lay down. Cleaning the gun was a different story but that was my fault on not knowing what was the best solvent.

Attached Files:

23. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

I've had good luck with the epoxy primer so far, and I tried the enamel on a small part just to see how it goes on , and it looks great! primer is 100.00 gal. at the long beach swap meet if you from here. try it, you'll like it.

24. bob35

bob35
    from DFW, TX

I am staggeringly bad at painting, as I have recently discovered when attempting to paint my car (it's about a 50/50 split between quality of the equipment and skill of the painter)... but I used TCP's Restoration Shop for my car, and was very pleased with the paint. I used urethane base/clear - a red mica Mazda color, and black. The thing I was most happy with was that I had to order more of that red color twice, and each time it was a dead on match to the original batch. It made fixing all my disastrous screw-ups a little easier.

All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to buy their paint again... especially with how great a deal it is. I wouldn't mind trying some premium brand paints to see if they were any easier to paint with... but for the drastic price difference, I don't think I'd ever be motivated enough to spend the extra money. The TCP stuff just worked too well.

~Bob

Attached Files:

25. rustang

rustang

OK so I finally was able to start shooting some parts this weekend.... I did use the TCP Global basecoat, and it worked really well.

The parts I shot I used Nason etch primer, then Nason 2K filler primer, blocked, wetsanded. Then I used SPI white sealer, and the TCP Global Restoration shop (Hugger Orange), I did use SPI reducer with the basecoat as it is superior to the GROW the base came with.

Topcoat was SPI Universal Clear.

The system worked great. I bought quarts of each for testing out the system, I'm very pleased, so I will finish the rest of the truck with it....

Tom

26. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Great info, thanks!

27. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

Bringing this old thread back up to see if anyone had anything to add about TCP paints Single stage in particular. Getting ready to paint the 52, finally.
    Thanks in advance!

28. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Used single stage poly on a truck it was very thin and took lots of paint to get coverage, I might try summit paint in future I heard a few good stories from people using that stuff

29. Find a local supplier of BASF and use the Limco line Urethane, about the same bucks as TCP and better quality. All 3 of these were done with Limco and were cut and buffed. Had less that $2000 invested in all material's to do all 3 3  32\'s 002.jpg

30. soccerdad

soccerdad

I just finished a door repaint on a 2008 mustang. The color is Alloy Perl (paint code G5). I used Restoration Shop base coat and RC 4221 clearcoat. The color match is excellent and the spray performance of the base and clear is fine. The result matches the factory clarity and texture and is a very acceptable repair. The paint was an excellent value. I will definitely get paint from TCP for the next job. One caution; if you are not sure what chemicals you need, consider a local paint shop that can give you personalized service and consulting.