Register now to get rid of these ads!

what is the rarest car you have come across

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davesville, Aug 12, 2007.

1. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

In the spring of 1966, my sister graduated from Antioch College in Yellow Springs, Ohio. My folks and I drove up from Cincinnati to help her pack. Knowing my addiction to old cars, she asked if I'd like to see an old convertible she'd found in a green house on an abandoned estate owned by the Carr(?) family. She and her roommate had explored the house and grounds, and removed a bunch of old clothing and memorabilia that was being ruined by neglect. The car in the greenhouse was a Duesenberg boat tail roadster in bare aluminum, without the exposed exhaust pipes. I figured the car was worth maybe $20,000.00 (I'd read a book on these cars while in high school) and begged, literally begged my dad to try and buy it. Right, they'd just paid $23,000.00 for a nice house.
    I saw the car displayed maybe ten years later a a show in Indianapolis, so I know it got saved. I took my sister from the airport to Yellow Springs this summer for an Antioch reunion, and we found the old estate again, totally overgrown and almost unrecognizable. Some of the heirs (so they claimed) live across the street in a little house and came out to speak with us. They had no idea that such a car had ever been in the family, or for that matter, what a Duesenberg was. Five years ago, my sister returned all the items she'd saved from the house to an elderly Carr relative.

2. burnin8

burnin8
    from Manitoba

I know what you mean. I've seen a couple (in pieces, of course, and I'm not sure of the years) I was told there was two types of the early oakland phaetons, the blue bird, and the red bird, last one ending up a flop in sales (I think they're basically the same other than body length) only had about 6 known to exist now, a friend of my club who has an impressive collection of old steel, has one.

Others among that collection kind of blew my mind seeing as he had so many rare cars all over the yard....
    a BIG 20's Buick sedan...Hudson Super Wasp, Mclaughlin- Buicks -10 or so (in pieces)
    Oaklands, a saxon, a star. I can't remember anything else, I don't think I had enough time to soak it all in...

3. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Bentley 8 Liter.
    Just about passed out, it was fantastic.

4. jnagol

jnagol
    from iLLINOIS

Here is a Bantam that made it into safe hiding back in 1963 . It went from my Dad in Bellwood, IL to Harrah's ( Ralph Dunwoodie)

Attached Files:

5. lilbdfrd

lilbdfrd

I bought a Nash 5 window coupe body and found a 4 door straight 8 donor car at a junk yard

6. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

1935 Auburn 4 dr. that I found in the woods. Had a lot of missing parts, this was in 1982. It did go eventually to the junk yard probably for scrap. Rode in a 31 Duesenburg 4 dr. that belongs to Richie Cline of the Imperial Palace auto collection here in Vegas. Also rode in a 37 Cord 4dr. at our clubs annual car show in Parowan Utah. Flathead V8 with a Supercharger. Very cool cars.

7. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Its an ot car but in my shop right now Im working on a '76 eldorado converitable. Only made 200 of them and they called it the Bicentennial. Last verts for many years...

8. Ok think there was another post like this before, but here it goes again. Ive owned a '58 Packard hawk (one of about 588 built), a '64 Dodge CSS pickup (only a handfull), an OT '77 Olds cutlass factory 5-speed manual transmission car(1200 some I believe).... There have been others but they are either way to new or way to off topic.

9. I have owned this 1942 Studebaker Champion Coupe for 30 years or so.I have found production numbers on all models in 1942 except the Champion coupe.I have seen only 2 others in pictures but not in real life. Can anyone out there help me find out just how few of these were made? I think the 1946 Stude used the same body dies with little or no difference.Thanks to any and all who take the time to reply/help!

Attached Files:

10. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Back in the early 70's I was working for a Large Body Shop and the owner bought an Orig,unrestored 1928 VIKING ( a Division of Pontiac/Oakland Motor Co. ) which I Stripped and restored the Body,it had a Flathead V-8,when I removed the passenger side kick panel I found a Pint Whiskey Bottle wrapped in a Jan.1928 Newspaper.

11. modeleh

modeleh

I have been fortunate to rub elbows with many collectors here in BC where there are quite a few rare ones hiding out in personal collections. I have been lucky to get a ride in some of them, notable ones include:
    1899 Locomobile
    02 Rambler
    04 Holley
    06 Zust
    10 Galloway
    10 Brush
    10 Russell
    12 McLaughlin
    13 Lafrance
    13 White
    17 Franklin
    26 Brooks Steam car
    30 Dodge straight 8 convertible
    30 Nash twin ignition straight 8 coupe

12. Quintin

Quintin

We have a 53 buick skylark convertible at work that we have to do some piddly stuff too.
    Other than that, ive worked on a nonhamb-friendly shelby mustang vin #17.

13. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

What is truly rare when you get in to classics that are now pretty expensive is a classic that is driven. I'm glad to see more emphasis placed on survivor cars now, than full tilt restorations.

This Cord sat in a barn for 50 years. It is fully operational, mechanically top-notch, and pretty much stole the show from the trailer queens when it went to Auburn for the ACD fest.

[​IMG]

14. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

How about a '37 Nash Ambassador Fire Chief's car with twin-ignition eight. Actually, this was a cut-down four door sedan that a friend bought for parts to resotre his '37 Ambassador cabriolet, which I think is one of three know to exist-the others being six-cylinders.
    [​IMG]

15. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

1941 Nash Ambassador "600" Brougham coupe. Less than 1500 made in 1941 before the war hit. Iv only seen one other in person EVER. They were unibody and rusted out. Throwaway cars.

i put a bigblock in mine :)

[​IMG]

16. reefer

reefer

This is about as rare as it gets......I saw this at the weekend, I think it was a "Shew", a car built in the early 1900's in England.....it had front and rear steer axles and was bought by an engineering company for evaluation for production but never made it.....it is the only one in the World.

[​IMG]

17. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

What year was this Cord in Auburn????

18. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

It would have been early 2000s. The parade placard is still on the bumper in that photo. I'll have to check our newspaper clippings. It was on the front page of the Aurburn and Fort Wayne papers becuase it was not shiny like all the others.

We took this to cabriolet Aurbun in '97. It took 12 years to turn it from a ditch find into this condition. Dad never had fun with, becuase it was too nice and too valuable. I don't think he will ever restore a shiny car again.
    [​IMG]

19. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

I think it may of been '99. My late father was there that year and I recall him telling me how much attention that car got. I have several pictures of it that he took. Assume you still have both the Auburn and Cord...

20. strike a poser

strike a poser
    from Salinas,CA

A buddy of mine has a Sterling Edwards. One of seven produced by Sterling in the early 50's. It is a fiberglass body, lift off hard top used a lot of misc. production parts from various OEMs. His had a 273ci Lincoln engine in it. It's been under restoration off/on for 10 years now but it's drivable now.

21. 5CHERO8

5CHERO8

Two that I've found and bought are a Ginetta G12P (replica) and a DeTomaso Mangusta (8MA604). I've seen a DeTomaso Vallelunga, the predecessor to the Mangusta.

22. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

The Auburn was worth too much money just to sit around. It turned out so nice, that Dad was afraid to drive it and have fun with it. It was more fun blasting down gravel roads in the rumble seat with pieces of 36 Ford truck fender welded in to patch the giant holes that had rusted away when the body sat updside down in a ditch. The good news is that one car pretty much funded a lifetime of playing with Model As and cheaper cars. And the Auburn went on to win trophies at the ACD meet, so it will always be cared for by someone.

Dad drove the Cord plent and is probably one of the best Cord transmission mechanics around. It's kind of a shame it moved on, becuase Dad was such a good custodian of its original condition. But, there are more cars out ther to enjoy. It made room for this Frankin Airman club sedan.
    [​IMG]

23. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

the car I'm driving is a 33 Fordor Victoria Convertible Sedan, it is the only one I know of

Attached Files:

24. arvonian

arvonian
    from Virginia

My '65 Tiger arriving at it's new home after being neglected for 27 years...

Attached Files:

25. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I've never heard of one of those. Was that a Ford creation?

26. leadsled deluxe

leadsled deluxe

Not exactly sure of the year but it is an ALVIS.

27. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

One of my clients was restoring the only twin engined Miller Indycar ever built when he passed away . When there's only one ,, I'd say that's pretty rare .

28. an original AC (LA) , AC 260 (FL) (before Shelby), AC Mark IV full race version (AL)

29. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

I love this thread. It is great to see cars I have never seen, or even heard of before. Thanks for the posts.