Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need to borrow a cherry-picker for a day? N. Dallas Area

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GREAZERZ, Mar 4, 2013.

1. GREAZERZ

GREAZERZ
    from Frisco, TX

Anyone have a cherry picker i could borrow for a day? I need to pick up and deliver a 331 Hemi to be installed in my Model A and hate to spend the money to go rent one from Sunbelt or something ridiculous.

Thanks in advance for any offers. Could use it Wednesday or Thursday of this week and bring back same day.

Sincerely,

Greazerz

2. dadz34

dadz34
    from Argyle, TX

Argyle isn't N. Dallas and you might be able to rent one for what it costs in gas to pick it up and bring it back. But I have a working CP if you need it.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

They have gotten so cheap you should just buy one. It isn't one of those tools you use every day, but they sure come in handy when you do use them.

If you are building a car you will have that motor in and out a bunch of times before it is all over, so it will pay for itself. Mine is probably 20 years old and I couldn't even begin to count how many motors I have lifted in an out of cars, trailers, and even a boat or two. And, you won't be having to borrow one from anyone else ever again.

Don

4. I agree on just buying one. I dont use mine often and am actually pretty happy when its out on loan ... gives me more space in my small shop =)

5. GREAZERZ

GREAZERZ
    from Frisco, TX

Think a 1-ton cheapo from Northern is worth $199?

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

7. BobMcD

BobMcD

A few years back I bought one from Costco. It was about $200 and made in USA. I don't use it alot either, but it's sure handy when you need it. I would agree with the others that if the motors going in and out a few times it would pay to buy one. Another option would be to buy one off Craigslist and sell it when you are done. Net cost could be Zero or maybe make a couple of bucks on the deal.

8. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

buy one, you'll be glad you did. you can never have too many tools

9. judgeyoung

judgeyoung

I bought the one-ton Harbor Freight foldable unit for $99 with a coupon. I can't believe they can build it for that. Works great, exactly the same unit as the 2 ton, with a smaller jack. Legs fold up to store easily. Great deal.

10. 226 flattie

226 flattie
    from orange,ca

A couple of buddies and myself chipped a few bucks each and purchase one from a swap meet . It just bounces around from shop to shop. I don't know how you garage or shop is set up , I have 2x10's for my attic storage. I found out that a chain lift works quite well sometimes better than a cherry picker

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Everything HF sells goes on sale, usually at half off or at least deeply discounted. Or, the ones Chaddilac posted are a good deal too.

When you are building a car you will be amazed how many times you use it. The motor will be in and out a bunch of times, and I have even used mine to lift a body on and off by myself, when no one is around to help lift. Yes, they are in the way when not being used, but the convenience of having it makes it worthwhile. I used to disassemble mine and stick it in a corner when not using it, but I found I was constantly bolting it back together so I stopped doing that and just shove it out of the way now.

Don

12. you can borrow mine , but you would have to come and get it

13. Randy in Oklahoma

Randy in Oklahoma
    from Oklahoma

Working on old cars is a expensive hobby if you cant afford to pay then you mostly likely shouldnt attempt to play.

Who would loan their tools to a complete stranger? I have known some guys for 25 years and still wont lend them any of my tools. Oh I used to, but floor jacks came back missing parts,cars came back with jack missing and flat tire (not fixed) laying in the trunk. I would only loan a tool if I halfway expected that it would never be returned, or if it was it would be beat up and damaged.

14. I got one that I *borrowed in '97 and I use it at least once a year some years way more than that. I have wore the casters out on it.

*I have tried to give it back at least a dozen times and the guy always says just keep it until I need it. :)

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I sorta got mine the same way, Benno. It belonged to a very close friend and while I was using it he passed away suddenly of a massive heart attack. :( His family told me at the funeral to keep it to remember him by and everytime I use it I think of Pete. It is my favorite piece of equipment and I will pass it down to my Sons when my time comes.

Don

16. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

If you can give your word that its coming back the same day or next day you can barrow mine... I'm in Plano at GB and independence ... The only reason I'm considering this is the hamb has been very trustworthy to me and has helped me out in times of need send me a PM with times a phone number and all that jazz ..

17. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

John, Youre a good dude.
    Don, That puts a lump in my throat.
    I also am of the mind to just buy one. Having a crane around is a good thing.
    If I need a tool twice, the second time I use my own. The reason I bought mine, really, is that I didnt have a friend with a tow hitch and walked about a mile with a big industrial cherry picker. Then walked it back. I dont work out like that anymore.

18. Jpriebe66

Jpriebe66

I've got one at my shop at 1625 N Stemmons across from the AAC PM me if you need it.

19. gemcityrenegade

gemcityrenegade

Yeah just buy one. Get the 20% off out of any mag on your coffee table and go spend the six dollars.

20. I'm in Highland Village and have one you can borrow. PM me if you need it

Beep

21. GREAZERZ

GREAZERZ
    from Frisco, TX

Thanks all... i grabbed a coupon and got the two ton with fold-up legs for $199.00 at Northerns. Worked great and moved that super heavy cast-in bellhousing 331 hemi just fine. Man, that thing is heavy!!!

Thanks again for all the offers! I thought about it, and most all are right. if it's something I'd borrow more than once, i'm better off buying one.

22. Jpricbe66 - across from the ACC....in the Design Distric....go to Los Lupes much...? at Cole and Industrial....

23. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Smart move buying one. Now you own it and will be amazed how often you use it. Now keep it a secret from your friends or you will be loaning it out more than you will have it for your own use. ;) I'm not opposed to helping friends, but tools are something that I don't lend OR borrow.

Don