Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My AV8 flathead build.. blown...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodderhaag, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Peterson32

Peterson32

this is awesome !!!

2. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Made some progress . I had the wheels and tires mounted... When I called Coker they claimed these wheels would fit a stock model a ford ... No chance in hell. Studs are way to short and the center hole is to small to go entirely on the drums. So there on but not all the way. It will roll this way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My favorite view of a model a coupe
    [​IMG]

3. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Definitely the fenders and hood top, no sides. I'll guarantee that was cool in late fifties/early sixties in Socal. Which brings me to the another point about California Pigs and fenders that I will start a thread on.

4. tires look good though, I like the fender/no sides. But also like em fenderless too, either way it will look good.

5. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

The fenders and hood will look great. but I'm just head over heels for that blue coupe that RUSSCO built. He sure did make a hell of a coupe.. But I'm leaning towards fenders

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  6. im thinkin fenders... but you could show us with and without. since you got the new wheels and all. i am truley in love with this build. keep us updated.

7. ^^^This...

8. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I won't be able to run a good. Just was thinking, I am running a y adapter and two 97's . That will bring it up about 6 inches over the cowl.. I need some advice?? I have searched many threads about brakes. What's the most simple conversion or juice brakes? Also....

I was told that a flatly will run super super well with changing the distributor... Any recommendations?

9. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I'm guessing your not planning to convert to an 8BA style distributor right? That creates a few more options...

You'll probably hear Bubba's name mentioned alot, pretty popular for distributors, here's his site: http://www.lindertech.com/bhrs/services.htm

Looks like he can rebuild a stock crab distributor, or convert it to an electronic setup. Can't speak for his work on that style distributor, but I bought a Chevy one for my 8BA and have been pleased with it so far..

10. Very Cool project! There is a lot to like here.

11. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

thanks guys. the comments sure are encouraging.
    thanks alot!

12. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

its easy to compliment a build like yours!

13. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Pretty simple solution...no hood. Besides what's cooler than the vintage blower/carbs sticking up? As far as the brakes, there's a lot published about '46 - '48 brake conversions. It is probably the easiest and most traditional swap. Even the Model A Ford Club had the tech info available.

I ran that setup on a '28 pickup back in the day. Worked well and the wheels fit!

Great job!

14. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

thanks! yea hood is out. im gonna hang on to it and the side panels. there super super straight and rust free. i agree with them sticking out...the blower, dual carbs and some nice bee hive style air cleaners.... i think. havent found what i like yet. i have done alot of reading on the brakes.. ALOT! lots of different ways and lots of different parts. i have yet to find a good solid article of a complete swap that shows the parts used and shows what needs dont start to finish in detail... maybe ill do one when i figure mine out.. i use the shit out of the search menu... thats the next step though is the brakes. and im gonna send my spare front axle out and have it dropped and drilled. 4".... waiting on my split wishbone kit and im being told F1 truck pedals fit a model a frame nicely.. still researching that topic

thanks guys!

15. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

16. gregaustex

gregaustex
    from Austin

What a cool build! I'll be following you for sure. Just read all ten pages over lunch @ work. Keep it up. Love the old blower and your fabricaition skills are first rate.

17. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I built the trans mount today. It works like it should. Perfect . Got that all done and now I need to finish weld the steering box outter plate and the motor mounts. Once that is done I will take my new plasma cut exhaust flanges and get header pipes made. I plan on making them so they bolt to manifold then about 12 inches of stainless pipe and then another 2 bolt flange at the end so I can just bolt the rest of the pipes on .. Sorry for some of the pictures being stuff you may have seen. I take lots of pics all the time and I just post em. On another topic.. I've had the tenth person just randomly stop in while I'm working . Alot of older guys that love the car . Pretty cool , to me atleast

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

I've read every post, your car is a true traditional coupe. Reading about what you are doing has me wanting to get back to my summer home in New Mexico and continuing work on my AV8. Its my avatar and no where as cool as yours, but I'm anxious to get it on the road. I'll hit it again in May.

19. looking cool..is a nice project..

20. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

This will slide over my f1 column and bolt in the factory a location. Once I have it bolted I will weld it to the column .

[​IMG]

21. Subscribed!!! What a great build!!

22. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those tires are going to be a problem with a 4" dropped axle. I used a 34 axle which is about and inch drop along with a posie reverse eye spring and the 235 tires I had for rollers hit the fenders. Of course its no problem if you go without them. As for brakes, all the articles I read said the back backing plates needed to be turned at an angle or upside down. If you are going to cut off the shock mounts you can make a small notch in the backing plate and use the stock bolt holes. If you do that you wont have to butcher them as bad and they will fit your later model axles when you go there. I made the bends in the rear lines while the rear end was out of the car. I put them into the wheel cylinders and then started the bends.

23. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Use long bolts in your steering column drop and you wont run the risk of blowing up the tank.

24. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry I hit the send button on my last post before I was done. I did a similar thing on mine but split the bottom where it fits around the column. It will hold everything just fine when you clamp it down. Your fab skills are excellent, thanks for sharing a great build.

25. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I figured i would tach the adapter on the column and when I remove it to tig weld the flanges on the box permanently I will tig weld it also. Just a personal preference for me.. I greatly appreciate the front axle info. I will use my stock axle and just do a reverse eye in spring. That will be low enough. I'm test fitting fenders tonight I will see my clearance then. Thanks alot!

26. Elrod

Elrod

I know you can cut these yourself but FYI, the Model A Victorias and A400s had that kind of drop spacer from the factory

[​IMG]

27. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

elrod,
    NICE! im glad to know that.. i jsut got mine all done to... good timing. ha..
    thanks though! And my column is no longer 2 inch its 1.5

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013