Register now to get rid of these ads!

where to hide the kill switch?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tracer55, Mar 4, 2013.

1. tracer55

tracer55
    from ohio

So the Model A coupe will be going to the upholstry shop in the next week so trying to tie up some loose ends. Wanting to find a new location for the main power Kill switch. Currently under the bench seat more on the passenger side but rather hard to reach. Any suggestions on where to move this?

Thanks

2. Where do you want it?!?!?!?

JH

3. Jims35

Jims35

That's where i have mine at ,so it's really not hidden very well.

4. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i've always thought about putting under the seat, inside a metal box lockable with a commercial padlock.

If done this way, then the location---near or far from the passenger side wouldn't make a difference----because the degenerate is going to have a hell of time trying to opening it up.

5. i like to be able to get to them while sitting in the drivers seat , but not easy to see. on my `28 tudor it is at the base of the passenger seat. when i jump in i can reach down and snap it on

6. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

7. Mine is under the passenger seat,,with a keyed switch. HRP

8. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Friend of mine turned his cigarette lighter into a "kill" switch - in order to "run" it had to be pushed in.

9. Jims35

Jims35

The problem with mine mounted under the seat with a key . It goes though the floor so the wires are exposed , easy to use a jumper wire on it under there. I only put it on to make it convenient to work on the wiring ect. with out having to pull the battery cable off so often.

10. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

I don't know how smart it is to tell everyone where our kill switches are in a public forum. I will keep mine to my self. Scout around the ride and look to see the most unused area of the car , choose an area that is practical but not obvious. That's what I did and no one has been able to find it

11. I don't know how smart it is to tell everyone where our kill switches are in a public forum.

Its like asking "where do you hide the key to your house?" or "Where do you hide your money?"....

Can you keep a secret? So can I!

12. Fenders

Fenders

A main power shut-off (battery disconnect) switch and a "kill switch" have different functions, in my opinion.
    A big ass battery disconnect can be anywhere, even in plain site.
    The small toggle kill switch can be easily hidden anywhere.

13. silent rick

silent rick

why not take it with you?

think about it. some sort of insulated and tapped female receptacle that when you screw a bolt into it, the bolt completes the circuit.

to the average thief, it looks like a normal hole that a bolt had fallen out.

14. nifty

nifty
    from UK

I agree with the difference between battery cut off and kill switches. I have both and key ignition, but to be fair on a Model a coupe with basic wiring it wouldn't take a real genius to hot wire it.
    Love the idea of the cigarette lighter, that is neat.

15. tracer55

tracer55
    from ohio

OK so I guess I should reword this. I have a Battery disconnect switch under the front seat. Which I usually turn off every time I get out of the car. but in case of a short and a fire it is a bit hard to reach under and flip. As far as a small kill switch I have none. So do most people run a Battery disonnect switch and if so where? I probably should add a kill switch also.

Thanks

16. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

In plain sight..!
    I've put them behind the seat, in the seat.. My last car has a master cutoff switch just behind the seat. It looks like I'm reaching for the seat belt...only I'm turning on the switch...

The way a friend did it years ago.....he had four toggle switches in the dashboard of his custom El Camino. It was like a combination lock, each of the toggle switches had to be in the correct location for the starter to work.
    I'll be doing it simillar with the car I'm rebuilding now only with a total of 6 switches in two locations..!
    I just hope "I"...don't forget the combination...!

Mike

17. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

I like them right in plain sight. It's always the best place to hide something.

18. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I use a latching solenoid hidden deep that kills the power from the battery so you can't hot wire. Then I run the toggle wire to a very small secret switch easily accessed from the driver position. I like the small flat button switches as they are hard to see or feel unless you know it's there.

19. aaggie

aaggie

A good ignition kill switch is already in your car. If you don't have a dome light tied into your headlight switch just use the contacts on the switch and wrie the coil trough it. When you leave the car just twist the knob all the way CCW as if you were turning on the dome light and it will open the ignition circuit.

20. sedanbob

sedanbob

I'm more concerned about the thief with a rollback wrecker. No hidden switch will help.

21. buelligan

buelligan

As far as a battery switch, the closer to the battery, the better. The type that goes directly to the battery post is a good idea, just make sure you get a good quality one. The reason closer is better is the fact that the shorter the unprotected piece of cable is the better. Using a heavy relay is a great way to go as long as you have it properly protected with a fuse or curcuit breaker. Good luck.

22. manyolcars

manyolcars

and since the rollback can back into a wall and knock it down and get your car......what?? Are you gonna sell your car, and go hide in the mountains?

For the OP I had a battery disconnect on my car and it was cheap junk and caused problems by losing connection going down the road. I took it off.
    All of you stop worrying so much

23. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

O,good now the hole world WWW knows were to find,geeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

24. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

Just bolt a 45 to your dash and point it at the driver, with a sign.."do ya feel lucky punk? Well do ya"

25. sedanbob

sedanbob

My point was that I am not worried about someone trying to hot wire my car - I can make that more difficult.

"...knock down a wall" - I guess you never take you car anywhere and stay overnight?

26. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Battery and kill switch (disconnect) are in the trunk. Basically under lock and key. Hard to get in the trunk, there is no window to break! Might be room considerations on a coupe tho...

27. Jpriebe66

Jpriebe66

I put four switches side by side, two were power switches to ignition system, two were kill switches to ignition system. You have to have all four in the right orientation or the car won't start. Sort of like a combination lock for a car, can't be "brute forced" or jumped or bypassed.

28. Markgyver

Markgyver

I worked with a guy that did that on a Jeep many years ago.

29. I always liked the magnetic switches.
    You can put them anyplace and nobody can tell.

You can put a switch anyplace attached to anything.
    Cigarette lighter, radio. Seatbelt release, courtesy lights, heater controls, seat cushions, nitrous button, headphone jack, door handles,

A battery disconnect should be easily accessible

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Something to that effect. You should be able to flip it on or off without a passenger sitting in the passenger seat knowing you did it.

The hidden main power cutoff is great for leaving the car parked overnight though. Then you can get in the trunk or under the seat and flip the switch and even lock the box it's in and it isn't a big production.

I bought a 64 GMC pickup from my buddy who had traded for it to use as a work truck a few years ago and spent a day trying to get it running before I figured out that it had a three way manual tank switch under the seat and only had one tank. the other sides were blocked off and with the lever turned to one of the other spots the engine didn't get fuel. Right there in plain site if you took the time to look under the driver's seat. Easy to reach down and switch when you got in the rig without making a production out of it too.

True all of the switches and cut offs in the world aren't going to defeat a roll back or repo truck if they can manage to get to the vehicle but they will help defeat the opportunist who might jump in the car and try to take it in a parking lot or when it is parked on the street for a short period of time or in a motel parking lot overnight.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013