Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 59 chevy wagon in progress

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cody Walls, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Amen to that!
    Keep on doing it your way Cody, it gives the rest of us something to shoot for (even if our aim is not as good as yours).:rolleyes:

2. 4444Design

4444Design

really love this ride

can't wait for the next update

3. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

WOW chris thank you for such the kind words it really means alot ,you know i offten wonder the same thing , is anyone actually going to notice what ive done ,i hope so , but then again at time i forget what all have i done to this thing:eek: , i think ill hav a lot of people guessing ,aspeally since im a young builder and how this all came about , thank you again chris

thankyou jim, yes wolfex1 did

thanks , how the wagon coming ?
    thank you , well hopefully next monday ill have more to post

4. linkstar69

linkstar69

Cody let me say this, your work on this car is truly remarkable and an inspiration to us all. The time you put into each part reminds us all how important the details are and how much can be made from even the most mundane peice.

I regularily share this build with friends who are into everything from exotics to muscle cars to vw's and it never fails to knock their socks off.

5. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cody, that's exactly why it's great to post up all of the details here. Not only does it allow us to see all of the superb workmanship, but it also gives you an easy-to-find permanent record of everything you've done.

6. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

You grew yer hair out

7. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

just a quick update , ill try to get back to your previous comments tomarrow , its been a really busy day . and here are some pic,some more of my chrome came back , spent some time on a lot of littles things today and i reinstalled the front end so i can moch up the merc grill
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

9. oldman2

oldman2

Looking forward to seeing the grill work...Jim

10. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

thank you , and thanks for sharing my build

very true :)

lol yah , ive just been too busy to cut it lol

no you rock nads

me too :D

11. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

so since today went well an last night not so , im going to do an out of the ordinary friday post , even tho installing the grill fought me the entire way and i had more time in it than i attented , all that fustration went away when i installed the bumber,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

well from what ive herd these grills a just a drop in , not in my case , on both sides the grill was a half in short of the fenders , and since i cant move the fenders in any more i had to cut the fenders so they flowed into the headlight buckets

[​IMG]

bringing it in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. wolfex1

wolfex1

How difficult is it going to be to fit the piece above the grille back up there? I am anxious to see it with the hood back on for the full effect.

13. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

I had to do some trimming around where the original headlight buckets were and it's a little tight but it fits . Ill get back to it Monday and post some more pics .

14. Rattaxi48

Rattaxi48
    from ohio

think i am going to need those fenders back now but you need to send the grill too so it all fits .:D cant wait till this summer to see it up close

15. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

Lol , sounds good ;), btw the last time I was out at your place you had quite a few just laying around , are you sure you need these back too to join the collection :D , I don't think ill be done with it this summer there's still so much to do:( sorry , but I'm still pushing for the Rodders journal show but we will see ,

16. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Quote:
    "well from what ive herd these grills a just a drop in , not in my case , on both sides the grill was a half in short of the fenders , and since i cant move the fenders in any more i had to cut the fenders so they flowed into the headlight buckets"

I have thought the same, thanks for blazing the trail for others who are considering it so we can "count the cost" before we give it a go.
    It looks great, nice work on pulling the fenders in.
    Did you have to remake the headlight buckets to accept the wider spacing between the lights?

17. oldman2

oldman2

Cody, this is what I love about your work. You see a problem, and you just start cutting, welding and grinding to make it right, super nice job...Jim

18. Hey Cody.In my oppinion that´s one of the nicest grills you can put on a 59 chevy. It´s gonna be the icing of the cake. Are you keeping the nozels in the hood? Kenneth.

19. Dorrier kustom

Dorrier kustom

Digging the grill. Looks sweet.

20. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Looks incredible. I had to open up the fender for my light housing, the opposite of yours.

I can't wait to see the Caddy bumper lower valance.

Did you have the grille rechromed?

21. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

thank you , I had to cut into the original rad support some so they fit better in a certain area but other than that no not really .

thank again Jim ,

thank you , at first when I was going threw all this trouble I thought I had ma a huge mistake , but once I got it in I'm glad I went with the grill change , I'm leaving the opening in the hood

thank you

Thanks nads , wow I didn't know that , that grill you put in your elky looks amazing , the lower valance is part 56pontiac and the rest is what I had left over from the Ribbed hood I did , on the grill , the grill is stock 1960 chrome it's not perfect but very nice so I left it , it has some small issues but ill get it re chromed later on down the line , but I did send the bezels out an had them re chromed .

22. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

Yes they do , your photos didn't show up for some reason

23. bigpokie

bigpokie

Just stumbled across this thread and wow ! What a read. Although I have read alot, I haven't read it all. With all the subtle mods you have done without going over the top and losing the car behind them this is one of my favorite builds, and not just on the site ! But being a x-frame impala owner I love your stance. I want to know more on your channeling. I did see where you said you let nature do most of the work and just lowered the body mounts. What else was done ? I've got to replace all my floors anyways so if I can install them and bodydrop or channel at the same time that would be great. I didnt see anything out of the ordinary when looking at your floors when you had the doors off. So how much of the floor did you change to get it that low

24. I'm real curious too.....

Been contemplating a home-brew bag system for my '59 El Camino but if I go to all the expense and trouble to do it, I want it to hit the ground when its laid out.

Bags on an X-frame..... I understand how all that works. I'd be interested to know how you got the added few inches that puts it ON the ground though.

......& FWIW, I think if you're done in time for the Rodder's Journal show, you're a shoe-in for a full feature.

Jim

25. bigpokie

bigpokie

The bagging part I'm not worried about I drive a bagged truck daily. It's the few extra inches of flooring I can figure out without cutting ALOT of flooring.

26. gearhead78

gearhead78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Dallas TX

Amazing build. Found it and could not stop going through it. Now 3 hours later I am to the end.

27. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Thanks nads , wow I didn't know that , that grill you put in your elky looks amazing , the lower valance is part 56pontiac and the rest is what I had left over from the Ribbed hood I did , on the grill , the grill is stock 1960 chrome it's not perfect but very nice so I left it , it has some small issues but ill get it re chromed later on down the line , but I did send the bezels out an had them re chromed .

I thought it was a 60 Caddy bumper, and yes you are a shoe in for a feature in TRJ.

28. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

thank you

ok so here it is for the both of you , on the front im running bags and drop spindles , with the channel its kinda a weged channel , its 2 in the front and it kinda tapers off to zero n the back , i cut the front body mounts on the fame , since the front floor was gone i just undid all the body bolts , and let the front come down , then reinstalled the front floor pans ,( yah its kinda cheeting but in this game there are no rules , well not in my book anyways ):D when i did this the full floor pan was not an oppition , so all i could get is the 4 pieces , if i were to do it again i would have just replaced the whole floor with the entire pan at a higher level after i channeled it , the front lays
    with the rear i c noched the frame 3 inches and just raised that portion of the floor up aftert i was done , i also made a custom 2 link , the rear doesnt lay on mine , because of my tall tires that im running bottom out on the wheel well and you, cant modify the wheel wells on the rear of a 59 because the way the quarter are dip in , if i went with smaller tires yah , but not with these , my tires are 28.75 tall ,
    on any other x frame this will probly get you on the ground with modify the wheel wells with large tires , hopefully this explains some of it if you have any other question let me know ,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thank you for taking the time out to go threw it all

nope , its a 56 pontiac , acually i dont have any caddy parts on the wagon , i have every other gm one tho :D

here what i started with
    [​IMG]

and that corner is about all i used of this whole bumper
    [​IMG]

29. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

now to the monday update , i spent the day finishing up mounting the grill , shrinking down the driver fender and working on the upper valance.
    <TABLE cellPadding=6 width=600><TBODY><TR><TD align=center>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>