Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Infamous Fish...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by summersshow, Mar 3, 2013.

1. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Hey there Everybody. I have managed to get my hand on one of those rare pieces of carilogical history.. The Fish Carb AKA "100mpg Carb". It is a M1, I think and I also have a Judson....
    So the question is can these be used together and what CFM can i expect from the FISH? Trying to figure out what car to start it out on. Cant wait to see it work!!!

2. Probably cannot be used togethr unless you are an exceptional tuner. I doubt that they will make much if any more MPG than any other carb, but we are hotrodders so we are more concerned with performance than mileage anyway.

3. Canuck

Canuck

My father worked in a shop here when they came out. Told me that there was a promotional trip made across Canada to promote the carb. Apparently they did get the mileage as advertised, just no mention made that they had to stop every couple of hundred miles for a valve job. That was how he saw the car, the car was in their shop to get the valves ground, apparently running a little hot.

Canuck

4. Usually those cross country mileage cars do a lot of coasting and have other mods than just the carb as well.

If there was a such a thing as a 100 mpg carb someone would be marketing it and don't bother mentioning the old oil company buying it story that story is so full of holes you could strain your spaghetti with it.

Summershow,
    That is not to say that you don't have something cool to own and play with just don't expect the get the advertised results.

You should post a picture of it for everyone else to enjoy by the way.

5. Weasel

Weasel

I have a couple of M1 Fish carbs on the shelf and a rare sidedraft Fish, as well as a few N.O.S. Reece Fish carbs. Reece Fish versions were made by Leonard Reece in Carshalton Surrey U.K. and he was one of two U.K. licensees - the other was the Minnow Fish of Lochgilphead in Scotland. The Reece Fish variant is notable for having a swiveling and locking fuel bowl which enables you to run it either as a downdraft or a sidedraft....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

It never got 100mpg thats just kinda how its known... Fish advertised 30% improvement in power and milage, therefore if you got 10mpg you now got 13... Its just a neat carb. Tryin to figure out the cfm though

7. Weasel

Weasel

8. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Thanks weasel, But thats the same article I can find everywhere... Still Doesnt say the cfm...Its Hard to find

9. LowerthanLife

LowerthanLife

cool thread.
    i breezed thru the link, weasel,thanks . will get back to it to absorb it all.

i heard the story about this carb from a freind a few years back; never seen one other than in a small article with a b/w picture. i was told it got the milage while running alcohol, not gasoline.?

neat carb.

10. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Or just what type of motors they run good on...

11. Ole don

Ole don

I had a new Fish on a 65 Fairlane with a 289. I didnt leave it on long enough for one tank of gas because whenever I let off the gas the C4 went into coast. I figure the possible saving in gas would not pay for brake linings. Its still on the carby shelf.

12. Weasel

Weasel

I had a Reece Fish on a single carb BMC A series 1275 engine and it really woke that thing up - performed like a Mini Cooper S and improved the gas mileage just with a carb swap. I was thinking of trying a pair of them on my Daimler 2 1/2 litre hemi. The single carb shown on the Reece Fish brochure with blanking plates over the stock opposed SU location which I posted above is a Daimler hemi intake. I want to use two of them feeding the original plenum in place of the factory SU HD6 carbs to see what they do for that....

FishFry likes this.
  13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Fish never made any crazy mileage claims. What he did claim was that his carburetor was well made, infinitely adjustable, and worked on a different principle from other carburetors. These claims were true.

Years after Fish went out of business Mike Brown took up the idea and made thousands of Fish carburetors. This was in the 80s and 90s. He is the Fish expert and publishes a book about them which includes complete details and installation and tuning instructions.

http://www.mikebrownsolutions.com/bccfish.htm

Get the book and give the carb a try. It can be used on almost any engine because it can be adjusted to any engine. No reason it won't work with a supercharger.

PS Mike Brown stopped making carburetors when fuel injection made the carb obsolete. With fuel injection you can control fuel use very precisely and in fact, fuel injection engines do make more power and get better mileage, than the same engine with a carburetor.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Ole Don I am interested in the Fish carb but never owned one. Would you like to sell yours?

15. slammed

slammed

You kin tune a pi-ana, but ya k'ant tuna-fish! stangs rule

16. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

I run one on my banger A, great carb once it thaws

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

17. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I know a man who is a Fish Carburetor guru.... He probably has 30 of them and has run them on everything from stock flatheads to full blown race engines. They look so cool.

Here's a few old Fish photos.

Attached Files:

18. Weasel

Weasel

I have a couple if you're interested. I am sorting out the barn from top to bottom and they are bound to surface very shortly....:rolleyes:

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

OK cool let me know when you find them. If I get 2 I will make a dual manifold.:)

20. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

if you want to find one you can also watch ebay... they pop up there occasionally... I used circuit of army people to find mine... Best friend is in the army and he put out the word... Found one hiding in a closet in WA state

21. Hefty Lefty

Hefty Lefty

A Fish carb is an interesting thing on a mid fifties car. They were successful in NASCAR for a while. The guy making them now is kind of a funny guy, funny strange, I mean. I talked to him a while ago and his goal seemed to be selling them to farmers with old grain trucks. He seems uninterested in selling them to the people who would buy them which is hot rodders, old school traditional fifties style hot rodders. He got kind of upset when I told him that most of those old grain trucks were more valuable for the cab than they were as working trucks. I know a lot of people in rural Kansas and Missouri that have bought them up through '72 for a few hundred bucks with bald tires, pulled the cab and took it to California swap meets and made a good profit. Some of them had the W engine too which brings a few bucks even in truck form.

The Fish has several peculiarities, one being that it has a screw adjustable mixture control. If you have ONE on an engine it can be tuned pretty well if you have an o2 sensor or an old exhaust gas analyzer, but multiple carb setups need you to have an EGT probe on each cylinder. It is not like a jet or pill where you know what it is and about how much one up or down will do. It is a single barrel carb that is not real flexible and does not work too well with an automatic transmission as the above poster said.It is dirt simple and can be adjusted for alcohol gas mix or alcohol with just a screwdriver.

It is still very famous and will get looked at a lot on the right hot rod or old car. And it can certainly perform at least as well as any factory single barrel of that size.

I knew a guy who had one on a Slant 6 for a lot of years. He did get pretty good mileage but nothing ridiculous.

22. Lucas1988

Lucas1988

Hi
    Just wondering if anyone has a Reece carb that they would like to sell that I can fit on a classic mini.
    Thanks