Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Specials

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ned Ludd, Jul 27, 2012.

1. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

To the top boys lets see more cars

2. boldventure

boldventure

http://tribaker.wordpress.com/

I happened on this while looking at a nother thread called "oddballs" elesewhere in the forum. I thought it fit here as well.

3. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Interesting Studebaker-based trike: I'd been directed to that build blog before.

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

5. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

It belongs to turbostude on the HAMB.

6. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

7. I have part of a 28 Hudson Super Six that i want to do somewhat like this 33 Hudson special. This car ran a straight 8, and qualified at 109 mph at the 33 Indianapolis 500 classic, with Al Miller driving.

Attached Files:

8. Weasel

Weasel

One of the visually most successful specials IMO is the 1924 Bentley Hawkeye special. This is a 3 litre chassis with an 8 litre engine and the body was made in the early 1970s by John Guppy and Hawkeye Wijkander. I have seen and photographed this car a few times and it never fails to inspire me....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ratrodrodder and chriseakin like this.
  9. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Thanks Weasel Man.Sure a lot easier to look at than some of the stuff Gary Wales builds.

10. e.jostad

e.jostad
    from Norway

11. JEM

JEM

No info, but it looks great. I'm sure it'd be a little less 'clean' with a spare tire hanging on that mount...

12. Weasel

Weasel

Here's another I really like - Alfriston Jaguar Special from New Zealand
    [​IMG]

13. Weasel

Weasel

Another Jaguar based special from the Netherlands. Rivets anyone????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Weasel

Weasel

This is a MG K3 Special - splendid stuff!

[​IMG]

15. Weasel

Weasel

Here's the other end....

[​IMG]

16. We shouldn't forget Duffy Livingstone's creation, "The Eliminator" that, in the 50's, started out with a flathead Mercury. He subsquently stuffed in a SBC. It's currently owned by Brock Yates; and occasionally shows up at Laguna Seca's Monterey Historics ,now, since they elbowed out Steve Earle, called the "Reunion".:D

This is Duffy coming out of Turn 4 at Paramount Ranch.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  17. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Hot rods going around corners. What more could a man want?

18. austinhunt

austinhunt

I think Mindover (David Gardiner) made one similar to this for a customer. He has made some really pretty specials.

19. JEM

JEM

Presumably Seret will see that pic and recognize that it's okay to NOT run whitewalls on a roadcourse hot-rod...;)

20. Well, then there's this "Deuce", with a SBC, topped by a Detroit V6-71 supercharger, that we ran at a VARA event a Buttonwillow Raceway some years back. In the paddock area, I overheard a guy, with a finely groomed hair hat and a silk jacket, tell his "arm candy": "Honey! Look at this Hot Rod! You watch! He'll go fast down the straights; but, he can't turn good." Iin the first practice, I went around him, in his Cobra Replica, on the outside of a near 180 degree, partially banked turn. I didn't see him again, until I lapped him in our class's race.

[​IMG]

21. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Posted on another thread, courtesy of Weasel:
    [​IMG]
    Tojeiro MG

[​IMG]
    Tojeiro Bristol

I post them here because the MG especially is very much in the mould of the "do-it-yourself Barchetta" movement that swept the special-building world at one time.

More of a "do-it-yourself Testarossa":
    [​IMG]
    Tojeiro Aston Martin

22. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Don't look in for a week and look at all the fun I missed.
    Thanks for posting guys.

23. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Some of these would look so GREAT in the upcoming Colorado Hill Climb!!!! I've read about specials in older Car Craft and Hot Rod issues I have gathered up, kind of the UK version of making an Austin or Pop look like a Bentley, just like earlier gow jobs i.e. T speedsters looking like Stutz's!

24. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Specials! yes yes yes

25. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

This one would work for me.

Attached Files:

chriseakin likes this.
  26. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Simon Taylor's Stovebolt Special?

27. I think the car, originally an HWM, was used in the filming of the movie, "The Racers". I believe it was Tom Carsten's, who had a winning Allard J2X, and whose driver, Bill Pollack, stuffed it, the Allard, into a Pebble Beach Pine tree; got ahold of the HWM and crammed the Chevy into it. Though the car was extensively modified from it's original form; I think Bill has said it didn't handle very well.

28. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

As a kid growing up in socal I saw alot of Jags,Mazers,even Ferrari's with American v8's as replacement parts were unavailable or too expensive plus the v8 weighed less and produced more reliable power, think of the 200lb. difference between a Jag 6 and a chevy v8. The stove bolt started life in European F2 with an Alta motor?

29. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Old Dawg is correct. The car was later raced by Bat Masterson for a number of years, and in recent time has run in many vintage events. It still, apparently, doesn't handle worth a hoot. Pretty car, but it has never worked well.

30. Yeah! They were sticking SBC in just about everything. Several years ago, at the Monterey Historics, Pre-event (the week before the"Big Show") one of the auction circus outfits took some cars out to Laguna Seca, to see if they could get some "suckers" salivating. Amongst them was a late fifties/early sixties Ferrari racing barchetta. It was supposed to be a "Barn Find". It looked the part, with the patina of owl shit. Looking at the engine though, which seemed suspiciously new, my tired, baggy old eyes detected a later V-12. A closer look uncovered an engine out of a ubiquitous 330 berlinetta (passenger car). But even closer scrutiny showed that the firewall and floorboards had been all cut up to put in the, now absent, SBC ! Some poor beggar probably paid over a million bucks for this dog.:cool: