Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Macoco was perhaps emboldened in his criticism with the knowledge of his order placed with Harry Miller
    From Michael Ferner's oldracingcars.info
    see sect 2203-Y the 1922 Miller/Hill #3 car

http://www.oldracingcars.info/marques/indy/miller/1921-2/

2. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

The first??? What about Mercer, fifteen years earlier? Bugatti even copied the type designation!!!

I don't question your final analysis, but contrary to popular (mis)conception, Ettore Bugatti was a man totally devoid of original ideas. His mythical stature in much of today's literature is a complete and utter joke!!

3. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Oh, I retract the use of the word "totally". He was (apparently) the first to design a "dragster style" driving position in his 1903 de Dietrich. Let's say, he was totally devoid of original ideas that worked!!

4. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Thanks for (always) championing my writings, Carl, but I have to admit that some of my conjectures in this particular chapter have proved to be wrong. I need to find the time to (finally) update this site!

Apologies!

5. UK RUSS 1960 OLDS

UK RUSS 1960 OLDS

Hi Gary,

Glad you enjoyed it, here is another one you might like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zji_woRTls

Cheers.

Russ.

6. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

Heh. I'd forgotten the Mercer, Michael. But then they weren't exactly common this side of the pond - or anywhere outside the US really. Make that "first man in Europe" then. :p

But like I said - good PR! The infamous "1000 wins in a year" advert being the best/worst example.

7. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

After the recent episode of WHERE THEY RACED, which covered both the Santa Monica and Corona Road races, this postcard was found in our archives. It gives you a very good perspective on just how hard this race was on drivers and their machines.

On a round course such as with this one was, the driver is constantly right on the edge and working extremely hard to keep the car in control. On a more typical oval circuit the straightalways at least gave the driver and the riding mechanic a short respite twice each lap. Corona was a tough course and its history was filled with tragic crashes. Tune in next week and learn more about both races in Part 4.

8. txtom

txtom

Some friends on a modeling forum are trying to identify this track, and maybe the car. Possibly the upper middle U.S., Indiana, Kentucky, or thereabouts. 1940's. Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

9. Professor Fate

Professor Fate
    from the bay

I feel bad for poor Ralph, misspelling his name for all those year. You should take up the torch and have history redacted, you know, all those pesky period news news articles, race programs, movie reels...it would be a lot of work, but you seem to be the man for the job!! good luck and keep us updated.

10. Don Capps

Don Capps

Apparently, unlike you, I have actually looked at a number of examples of his signature over his career and life, it is inevitably "De Palma" -- two words. Gary Doyle and I had at least one or two conversations that touched directly on this point as he was researching and writing his book, Ralph De Palma, Gentleman Champion (2005). Somehow, I think that I would go with Gary rather than you on this, especially given that Gary did far more than enough actual research to get the name correct of the subject he was writing about.

As for your point about that I "should take up the torch and have history redacted," given how much nonsense that has been passed off as automobile racing's "history" some of us have to do it since many here and elsewhere or either too lazy or lack the skills to determine what historical reality actually was.

11. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

errhmmm..... ..since many here and elsewhere or either too lazy or lack....:p:D

I'm sure i am guilty of misspelling De Palma's name on occasion or maybe I just didn't hit the space key. These things happen.

12. Don Capps

Don Capps

It was supposed to be "...here or elsewhere are either too lazy..."

No excuse. I had to run to a men's breakfast this morning and fingers and brain not in synch.

The larger point is that there is much from the past regarding automobile racing that was taken at face value as being true that has turned out to be utter and complete twaddle. When I began to actually examine a number of aspects of what was being generally accepted as automobile racing history -- myself being included among those who simply accepted it as is, it was quite a surprise to find out how much I believed that did not reflect historical reality. As a historian, I was bit chastened by this and then started digging, finding much more the more I dug. In general, no one let a good the facts get in the way of what seemed to be good story, even when the most rudimentary fact-checking would have shown the story to be either an exaggeration or, to be polite, that liberties were taken with the facts.

13. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

Here's Ralph's WW2 draft card. As an enthusiast, (I wouldn't call myself a historian per se), I enjoy locating original documents. The autographs are unique, and the data they contain can be very interesting, and lead to even more information. How many folks here knew that Ralph worked for Ranger Aircraft?

Attached Files:

14. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Lets go to back to talking ''Race Cars'' now

You want to talk spelling? Open another thread

15. onelung

onelung
    from Adelaide

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ever know a biker to bitch about a hyphen in Harley Davidson, or the lack of one? Bob :rolleyes:

17. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Apologies if these have been posted before.

Attached Files:

18. Don Capps

Don Capps

Given the innumerable times that the even contemporary sources managed to misspell Ralph De Palma's name, apparently there is a need for a spelling lesson once in awhile. Then again, one senses that really was not the point of the comment in the first place.

19. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

You made your point and now it's just a waste of space

AND Honestly has little or no point repeating over and over.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Bob, I've never see those Christie front drive photos before. They are two different cars, wonder if the 1907 GP car was a third or one of these upgraded? Bob

21. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Bob,they were unlabeled.So,I don't exactly know which cars they are.

BanjeauX Bob

22. noboD

noboD

A men.

23. psalt

psalt
    from nyc

They are two different cars, wonder if the 1907 GP car was a third or one of these upgraded?

I think the first is in NYC in 1906 and the second in 1908. The photos of the 1907 GP car do not have that front strut brace. Does anyone have a photo of the OHC engine in the 1909 car ? I've only found a rough drawing.

Paul

24. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Paul, it would be neat if there were more photos of Walter Christie's design. A quick look at Lee Stohr's website also finds an undetailed side-on drawing of the engine from the 1909 racer. www.stohrdesign.com/1/category/1909%20christie%20racer/1.html

I've come to realise if Lee hasn't got it there's next to no chance somebody else has it.

25. psalt

psalt
    from nyc

Paul, it would be neat if there were more photos of Walter Christie's design.

My favorite Christie shot in midtown NYC. Having driven powerful cars in NYC for 30 years, I'm sure I'd have no trouble getting away from the cabs at the lights with a 1200 cu in engine and no doors.

Attached Files:

26. psalt

psalt
    from nyc

630 ft/lbs and 1600 lbs. And look, pushrods.....

Attached Files:

27. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Goggle Youtude "Auto Union GP" to see these cars running racing and drifting.

28. psalt

psalt
    from nyc

They are pretty. Kind of like a 1923 MB Tropfenwagen with a Fiat 806 engine. I am curious how Porsche copied the 806 when it only ran one race.

29. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Paul,They all drink from the same cup.

30. toml24

toml24

August 21, 1938. The first "Jalopy" race in California was at Southern Ascot in Southgate, CA. Car #27 is Don Farmer, who looks to be having a great time on the dusty infield B-track . Jalopy racing was not born on the West coast. The concept was imported from the mid-west.

Attached Files: