Register now to get rid of these ads!

Artsy Fartsy Pictures wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Twisted_Fate, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm seeing plenty of cool Artsy pictures, but can we get more Fartsy pictures? There just isn't enough Fartsy.... more Fartsy please.

I like this idea for a picture thread. Unfortunately for me, I cannot f'ing stand the term Artsy Fartsy.

2. Deuces

Deuces

..........;)

Attached Files:

3. fortynut

fortynut

Traditional, this certainly is not; and there are those who may question the validity of such a departure on a site dedicated to traditional hot rods, that require a more traditional point of view from the photographer, in my humble opinion. But, to each his own. If you want the fun house approach to seeing things, then this is certainly the path to Weegee world, via Salvador Dali and a whole lot of other rebels in the visual arts business; because once you start futzing with perceptual modes, you are challenging the very nature of the content itself. Or, as Marshall McLuhan liked to say, 'The medium is the message'.Bypassing the rules this way, you are thumbing your nose at the very foundations of the premise this site is meant to represent. And, yes, you can argue otherwise by saying it is Art. However, the fact is that nontraditional means of viewing the object makes the object less interesting than how it is viewed. Art in and of itself, or as some say: 'art for arts sake' tends to make the finished image more important than the subject or object it is derived from. Pop art tended to prove that point. As much as this may appeal to your artistic side, my question is this: do these pictures give us a better understanding of traditional hot rods, or are they done as visual statements about how good the photographer is? Because when you make photographs the object of view, they are no longer photographs, per se, but artistic statements. Having an Art School background, I hated having to state the facts as they are because some of the pictures are good, but as a traditional hot rodder, I see the slippery slope that exists when people who don't understand the tradition, that I personally feel this site stands for, futz with things a little, others see this as the opening to do a lot more. When you open the door to all kinds of other trends that have nothing to do with this particular world view, traditional hot rods, what happens to those of us who worship here? These little things tend to muddy the water we are all baptized in. Don't you think?

4. So using modern methods to view traditional cars is not traditional? Why didn't you say so?

May I draw your attention to the header above each page? The picture behind the HAMB logo.

By your definition we should be looking at fuzzy worn black and whites?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  5. 64falconsix

64falconsix
    from Daphne Al.

6. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

7. abakerman

abakerman

dude, this is an awesome thread!!! keep em coming!! I'll have to look and see what I got to post.

8. 64falconsix

64falconsix
    from Daphne Al.

9. abakerman

abakerman

couple of my ride

Attached Files:

10. abakerman

abakerman

here are a couple of "artsies"

Attached Files:

• car.png
      car.png
      File size:
      97.5 KB
      Views:
    • car2.png
      car2.png
      File size:
      88.9 KB
      Views:
  11. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I wasn't trying to be "artsy" when I took this photo. I was trying to get the car and the beautiful sunset at the end of our car show. I think it's a cool photo of a friend's real 40 year old hot rod.

[​IMG]

12. Goatdave

Goatdave

While I respect everyone's point of view, I do find fortynut's post about the purity of the medium used to present the traditional subjects ironic, since, you know, we are all looking at these pics on very non- traditional laptops and smartphones.

13. ...

Attached Files:

14. GTOMUSTANG

GTOMUSTANG
    from ct

I think someone should blue title this post, "Arts and Inspiration" so it can be found easily a month from now...and yeah, I see fortynuts point, but I'll also disagree with it. A hot rod is a combo of the old with the new, so....:confused:

meanwhile, I've been to the Woodstock fair, which is in one or two of these photographs...recommended for those in the northern CT area...

15. Well I have hesitated to post this, I am not sure that my old Willys counts as a hot rod, at least not in the traditional sense. But the pics are a little on the artsy side.

Attached Files:

16. 41 C28

41 C28

my contribution

Attached Files:

17. Did you see the Non-Hot rods I posted?

18. poor thing all cramped up in that rumble seat id like to help straighten her out

19. ...

Attached Files:

20. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, me two!....:D:D:D

21. Nope but now I got to go look. When we drug this bugger home we named it The Anti-Rod. ;)

22. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

One of my shots of Kevin Anderson's '36 at Iron Invasion...

Attached Files:

23. moefuzz

moefuzz

Funny how names come about for our collective obsessions,
    When I brought my Studebaker M17 grain truck home I was cleaning her up and found a single key
    in the ashtray.

Being a small single key I figured it would be easily lost so I went looking for a key chain in
    my junk drawer and the one that seemed best to describe my new arrival was "Lola"

So now I tell everyone that Lola came home last July and now my life is complete.
    Most people don't think happy things when they think of 'moe and lola'
    :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. 56FRLN

56FRLN

Not taken by me. This was the Grand Prize winning photo recently submitted for a photo contest where I work. Too bad the car is not quite there but still a nice photo.

[​IMG]

25. summa' my junk

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

26. Back when it was still clean
    [​IMG]

27. Hmmm, in your particular case, I would suggest that you not view this thread as it might tend to upset you.

28. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

The Chrisman Brothers coupe at the '12 Iron Invasion...

Attached Files:

29. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

At '12 Goodguys Indy...

Attached Files: