Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wheel adapters.... Do they work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by convict, Mar 1, 2013.

1. convict

convict
    from laredo,tx

Well,I want to pull wary Ford wheels on my coupe,but have chevy disc. I want to buy wheel adapters,would anyone recommend them,do they work are they safe? Tell me ur experience with them. Thanks also anyone know the bolt pattern for a servi car rearend? Any help is good help...

2. convict

convict
    from laredo,tx

My bad * early Ford

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I use them.. Never a problem.. The newer billet type are far better than the old 50's 60's type.. Make sure they are torqued properly and evenly and I think you will have no problem.. They even use them in oval track racing.. Hey, just my take on them, though.....

4. old buzz

old buzz
    from middle tn

when I built My anglia, the guy screwed up when He narrowed my nine inch, and after He fixed it I had to put 1 inch spacers on it til i could buy new wheels!did a burnout one night (it was an accident) I found 2 broke wheel studs and the other 3 were bent. adapters ain't no better, they will get You killed

5. Yes they work.
    Some guys have had problems and swear the adapters are solely at fault. ;)
    Some guys never have any trouble at all with them.

Most dually 1 ton trucks have a 6" wheel adapter up front. I've never seen a problem with those.

Edit : see what I mean ^^^

Spacers and double length studs are asking for trouble

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

"Well,I want to pull wary Ford wheels on my coupe"

You can pull anything you want, it's your car. What are they wary of?

7. Yea !!!

8. TERPU

TERPU

Adapters yes, Spacers NO.

Tim

9. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

early FORD wires on a later hub? make sure to use the proper adapters with the raised lip to properly support the wire hub to avoid fatigue stress cracks at the lug holes. And pull this! :)

10. Stoker32

Stoker32
    from so cal

We use and sell a lot of adapters/spacers. Never an issue.

11. convict

convict
    from laredo,tx

Anyone have pics??

12. XXL__

XXL__

Aren't the factory backing plates and wheel studs just "wheel adapters" as well? If you buy well made adapters and install them correctly, they shouldn't give you any problems that you wouldn't also have on a vehicle without adapters (ie, if you do something that can break a wheel stud, it can certainly break an adapter stud... and so on).

13. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i have them on the front of my ford,it has a s10 clip under it,my wheels where ford pattern and the clip was a little narrower than than the ford...it cured all the issues i had..as for spacers if they bolt to the hub/axle and the wheel bolts to them its ok...

14. Sanford Graham

Sanford Graham

Well Say what you want, I run adapters on the rear of my 55 F 100 from mid 70s to early 80s, even hauled some wood. Had late model 302 , top loader trans, ran the snot out of it. Never a problem with Adapters

15. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I had wheel spacers on my Vette running very sticky tires. The motor was a built BBC with nitrous. I never had a problem but I torqued them once a month.

16. bobscogin

bobscogin

Spacers ain't adapters. The outcome of you're experience with spacers was predictable. Adapters are a whole 'nuther animal.

Bob

17. mattrod68

mattrod68

if you can safely put wheels on a car you can safely install wheel adapters. thousands of people use them for race cars, daily drivers and everything in between. ive ran them for years on several cars.

the minimum thickness you can get is usually the only sticky part, 20mm (just under an inch) is the thinnest i can ever find.

matt

18. BobMcD

BobMcD

I don't care for the idea of using a adapter or spacer as they move the wheel further out and place more load on the outer wheel bearings.

19. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

i know they worked for me on a daily driver...

20. Mattilac

Mattilac

What do you guys think about aluminum wheel spacers that are 3/8" thick? Safe to use in the rear? I want to move my tires out just a little to stop the occasional rubbing in the wheel wells. My studs are long enough to handle the extra length.

21. Convict: Go to EZ accessories.com I think you will find what you need. Tim

22. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

23. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Agreed....

24. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm leery of them due to the fact I do know of an old early cast aluminum adapter that failed and crushed the right side of a 34 Plymouth. It was many years ago when they first came out. How long ago?... I could have bought a 34 Plymouth convertible with a 394 Olds, PWs and PSeat for 800 bucks with a crushed rf fender, splash apron and running board. Not a big deal today but finding the parts was a big deal back then. I passed.

It was the cast aluminum style and not the machined billet type that we see today. All I'm saying is be careful There could be some of the cast style still out there. All aluminum adapters are not the same.

25. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I used them for 15 years and70,000 miles on my '37 Ford, never a problem on the rear.

26. I use them, no problems. I'd avoid them if I was racing, just an extra part to fail and I'm a chickenshit when it comes to wheels falling off at speed....

27. Nothing wrong with adapters,,just check for tightness ever so often.

If you are referring to a Harley-Davidson servi car rear bolt patter it's the same as the early ford. HRP

28. supervert

supervert

I put 1" adapters on my brothers lowered o.t. 93 dodge truck running HEAVY 20" dodge steel wheels. And he beats on them and they are still on there. We used some blue locktite on the axle studs just for shits and giggles. And I run them on my crawlers to and never had one let go. And that's with 38" tires, same thing, locktite and torque them down right.

29. If you're referring to a Harley Servi-car rear end I believe it's 4-1/2". I do know that 50' & 60's Ford, MoPar and Studebaker wheels will fit.

30. Well just about every early Ford axle without the early Ford offset wheels or similar has this condition.
    You would need something like a FWD offset to satisfactory accomplish this.

Just saying