Register now to get rid of these ads!

American Rodder Magazine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodalley, Mar 1, 2013.

1. hotrodalley

hotrodalley

What ever happened to the American Rodder Magazine ? I always thought it was a great publication.

2. Got bought out by Buckaroo and went down with the John Dianna ship. (note, that was the second version)

3. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I t was a good one, too bad.

4. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Yup, and a lot of us were on board when it went down.:(:mad:

5. Da Flash

Da Flash

Yup !!! We sure were, me to the tune of about $8 Grand !!!!

Da Flash

6. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

what do ya mean is that what you had invested Flash?:eek:

7. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

I lost out on a few years of subscription money. Could be worse

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot of people got left holding the bag on that one. Including subscribers, advertisers who had already paid for adds and probably more than one shop that didn't get paid for parts or work for the extended list of personal toys that got built or bought at the expense of the business.
    My old economics professor could no doubt use that whole scenario as a classic example of how to run a good business into the ground by using company money for your personal toys and chosen lifestyle.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Subscribed to American Rodder, Rodder's Digest, and a few others that bit the dust. all good magazines.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Guess they are a bit dated, very tough to move on "that auction site", maybe I should list them on the HAMB. Bob

11. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Funny this comes up now, as I've been re-reading my Buckaroo American Rodders lately. I've been thinking how unbelieveably quick the rise and fall of John Dianna's Magazine "empire" was. I was thinking these exact thoughts. Don't forget to include all the freelancers who I'm sure he stiffed, and all those that moved with the company to Tennessee when the "ship" sailed in that direction before it floundered. Which didn't he build a big new office tower right before they suddenly moved east? Then there was the whole "Autofest" show thing too with the "charter" memberships that were like $150. I wonder how many got screwed on those too! I hope JD suffered for his greed, and didn't just dump the debt all on the others and sail off on one of his big yachts with his bags of money....

12. American Rodder & Rodders Digest were both good magazines but when they were bought out by Buckaroo that was their death nail. HRP

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Always struck me the same way on both your quote and 48chevy's. Hving run businesses all my life I saw nothing but major flaws from the minute he put his "big big boy" pants on and started just flat fluanting his personal stuff.

American Rodder back in the nineties was my mag of choice just 'cause it seemed to be the only one geared to the traditional guy...

14. slammed

slammed

Yes those early days had a good mix of back when and some of the modern stuff. A couple of good 'how to build shop equipment' were one of the many good contents. Is this the "Janet' that pops up from time to time? That dude who stiffed people learned that from somewhere. Maybe a thread on those early issues that fit this boards criteria would be a fitting salute to Dane, Mike Bishop (RIP) and the rest.

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Did Mike Bishop pass away?

16. I enjoyed the original American Rodder with Dain Gingerelli, Steve Coonan, Joe Kress, Mike Bishop etc - did Mike pass away - I hadnt heard that.

Check out www.roddingusa.com - it has a few old faces onboard....

17. He was posting recently on landracing.com

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I wonder if Slammed meant Mike Griffin...

19. slammed

slammed

Yes, apology to the living. Now I shall dig out these old issues to brush up on names and dates.

20. if the price is right id be interested

i loved american rodder i was not happy when it went away i liked it because of the years of cars it dealt with up to the early mid sixties not

21. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

I remember articles in Hot Rod when I was kid where John Dianna was doing up a 56 or 57 Vette. That was way too many years ago

22. slammed

slammed

[​IMG] I need this issue, if someone has one for sale.

23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have had email contact with Mike within the last 2 weeks.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. hotrodalley

hotrodalley

I too was looking through my past issues of American Rodder Magazine, which initiated my question. It was my magazine of choice in the 90's and I especially enjoyed it because of its unique mix of traditional cars, a good garage/how to section, some art and every once in a while some "easy on the eyes" women leaning against the cars. I do miss it, and there is really nothing like it out there today. Understanding the economics, I will just have to live with the fact that I am not a "mainstream" customer and there is most likely diminishing demand and interest for traditional hot rods. Life goes on.

25. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

What number is it?

26. American Rodder was good until the bimbos started appearing........but Rodders Digest!.......now there was a real genuine neat hot rod magazine..........hope those Buckeroo bastards suffer for what they did to a great magazine.......andyd

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  27. I could live with the "bimbos"

American Rodder was a good mag.
    I have a heap of them in my collection.

28. norton58

norton58

Joe Kress had a great style of writing, well up there with Pat Ganahl.

29. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I recall the day I saw issue #1 at the store …….. That was a good day and I still have them all