Register now to get rid of these ads!

How easy is it to find parts for 1958 Chevys?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chstitans42, Mar 1, 2013.

1. chstitans42

chstitans42

I am considering buying a 1958 Chevy Sedan, and am interested in knowing how easy it is to find replacement parts. Also mechanically, how easy are they to work on, the one I am looking at does not run, so that issue would need addressed. How about brakes?
    Thanks!

2. No harder than any other 50's Chevy,brakes are available at most auto parts houses and just about anything you would need can be found on the internet. HRP

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Easier, on both counts, than my 1996 daily-driver.

4. flyin54

flyin54
    from modesto ca

58 Chevy mechanical parts are available all over, like napa auto parts or even the big chain stores. Trim and specialty parts are available thru places like Bobs or Ecklers or Auto city classics. Lots of stuff available, some parts are pricey tho.. 58 Chevys are cool.

5. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

You can pretty much build new ones out of all the parts you can get from mail order companies. I have had lots of luck finding everything I need from a few companies with the exception of some trim peices (sometimes trim is not reproduced like my fender spears and hood ornament). I was never more than a oil change/tune up guy but I have found working on mine is pretty easy as long as you put everything back the way you found it. I have had lots of help from folks here as well. I think you will be fine with a 58 chevy. Most thing that normally wear out you can still get from your local auto parts place. Any normal tool box will get you by, screw drivers, wrenches, pliers and some standard sockets. Only thing I needed to buy tools wise was a set of bits to remove old security looking bolts. You can find them on evil bay if you search 1950's gm bit set. Good luck with your chevy looking forward to some pics.

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I have a good rear bumper with good chrome if you are interested...

R-

7. chstitans42

chstitans42

Thanks for all the responses guys. How about getting the motor running?

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Compared to what? Not quite as good as a 57 Chevy but better than any other fifties car and better than most newer cars.

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Good idea. Check the brakes while you are at it.

10. chstitans42

chstitans42

The reason why I asked if because the 58 is a one year only car, as you guys know, and was wondering if I was getting myself into a car where nothing is available. I am used to corvettes, where you can get just about anything you want for those with out a problem. How about brake parts? Are those expensive or easy to get?

11. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The brake parts are the same from 1951-58.

12. Service replacement items won't be too difficult. What you can't get at your local parts store or NAPA can be found through the Repop vendors.

Now as far as other items like body & interior parts, well it is an "old" car! You're not going to go to your local Chevy dealer and order up what you'll need. There are repop vendors for some parts but the 'ol, "hunt, peck and dig" at the swap meets and junkyards is going to come into play.

Expect to get your hands dirty!

13. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Brake shoes run about $30.00 per axle, turning the drums would run you around $30-40.00 total, a new master cylinder runs about $60.00...I'd suggest replacing the rubber lines to the drums as well - about $40.00 for fronts...now if you are talking disc brakes, figure about $500.00 to REPLACE the front drums (plus labor of course)...

R-

14. Hard to go wrong with a Chevy, unless its really rusty or very incomplete. The best parts houses I've dealt with are Classic Industries and Car Shop (Orange, California).

15. Depends on the basic condition of the motor. If it is a small block car then it would be easy enough to find a good motor if that one is shot, same goes for an inline 6. If it is a W motor it may be worth keep for sure but if it is broken it is going to cost a fortune to fix.

An engine is just an engine and any and all of them can be worked on, the earlier engines had less goofy stuff so the '58 should be easy to work on as compaired to a 2008.

16. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

Its not to bad, but unlike 55-57 chevy some parts are not as readily available.

17. When I consider buying a car I have little knowledge of, I look at E-Bay Motors-parts and accessories.
    Type in year and model, see what's out there.
    You will at that time have a basic knowledge of prices (for bargaining purposes), of that missing, or broke piece on the car you are considering buying..and what other people are attempting to sell their car for.
    As far as the engine is concerned, it is very basic. There are many on here to help, when you get stumped.
    The '58 parts availability is great.

18. chstitans42

chstitans42

With prices like these, you guys are talking me into this car, not out of it:)

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it is a W motor, and you can't stomach the parts prices for those, almost any small block Chevy can be bolted in. That is as about as complicated as dropping a rock into a puddle.

20. chstitans42

chstitans42

now that is funny, but the car I am looking at has the 283 v8

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As for getting it running, after checking and topping off the oil, you will need a battery with a good charge. Hook that up, and make sure that you have the four ingredients necessary for combustion: fuel (is it making it to the carburetor, and is it viable?), air (given), spark (present, and at the right time, check the points), and compression (assume that there is some. 6-8 totally dead cylinders are highly unlikely). Prime the carburetor, and get to cranking.

22. chstitans42

chstitans42

From what I know, the engine turns, just wont run, so we will see what is the case tomorrow when I go to look at it.

23. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If this is your first old car you couldn't possibly do better than a 58 Chevy. They are second only to the 55 56 57 models in popularity and parts availability, at a much friendlier price.

As others have pointed out, most parts are available at your local parts store and they are cheap. Every old gray haired or bald headed mechanic cut his teeth on the Chevy V8. You could break down beside the road anywhere in the US and there would be a mechanic who could fix it within tow truck range, guaranteed.

24. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I just got a complete spare one for $250. They are pretty common and easy to find parts.

On my runner I replaced plugs, wires, points, cap, rotor and used fresh gas for good measure to start it.

You can tell if the engine was "decked" if the serial numbers on the fromt are gone.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  25. Trophydash

Trophydash
    from Tulsa, OK

I've got five! Never any trouble with mechanical parts, NAPA is your friend.
    Wouldn't hurt to have a parts car if you can find/afford one.

26. chstitans42

chstitans42

This isn't my first old car, I have had more than a dozen 70s corvettes, BUT this would be my first 50s car, and I have always loved the 1958 model year.

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

28. like's been said....one year only.....

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just like me, and my parts have been even more expensive to replace! All custom too!:eek:

30. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

59 - 60 2 years only, with a major face lift that makes them practically as unique as the 58. Likewise 61 - 62, 63 - 64, 65 - 66.

58 was the first year of the X frame with coil spring suspension on all 4 wheels which they continued to use until 64. Engine and trans and other mechanical parts, have many interchange possibilities.

And there are a lot of repro parts.

So, the one year only thing should not be a deal breaker.