Register now to get rid of these ads!

50's Chevy truck parts...where are the QUALITY parts coming from?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buzznut, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Buzznut

Buzznut

On the tail of the thread about LMC shipping, I started thinking about the parts I've gotten from LMC. In general, I'm unimpressed and wondering who is reproducing decent parts?

The gas pedal from them is garbage... The inner steel plate is too small and the corner actually fold over when you step on the pedal. The clutch and brake pedal are also too small to actually fit onto the stock steel pedals. If you try to stretch them it looks like the edges will crack and split.

I'm hoping the hinge pocket patch panel I ordered isn't complete garbage, but I'm not too confident in what I'm going to receive in the mail.

Anyone know where to find better parts?

2. henry29

henry29

So why do you keep buying from them?

3. Buzznut

Buzznut

That's why I started this thread; trying to see who sells better quality parts. If they're all selling the same junk then it doesn't matter where you buy that junk. And as far as I know and have been told, there's only one manufacturer of the hinge pocket I just ordered.

4. sfeldma

sfeldma

For pre-55.1 chevy truck parts, I've used Filling Station and Chev's of 40's, since they're local to me, and Brothers. Seems it's a crap shoot on the quality, for all. I count on sending one or two parts back due to quality issues on each order. Seems they're all sourcing from same source.

I know this doesn't apply to your truck, but I also buy a lot of parts for 53-56 f100s from Mid-Fifty's in Arizona, and they often offer multi choices for a given part, indicating quality (and price), and indicate origin of manufacture. The latest catalog clearly annotates parts made in USA. I wish there was a similar company supplying 50's chevy truck parts, providing choice and guidance on quality, but I haven't found it.

5. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I've been looking for some heavier stamped replacement panels for my 53 for quite some time. Just received a catalog from AMD. They've been suggested as a good supplier for replacement OEM panels for the Mopar muscle car crowd, so I'm thinking they might be worth a try. https://www.autometaldirect.com/

6. RatPin

RatPin

OK, now you're just rubbin it in...

I wish there was any repo stuff for my truck, flimsy or not...

7. C O D Y

C O D Y

You might want to try http://www.premierstreetrod.com/ Rob teamed up with Ron Wade (Chev's of the 40's) when he was a small shop in Washougal and helped him grow Chev's of the 40's to what it is today. Recently Rob started Premier Street Rod and is bringing in a lot of his own stuff. I don't have a 50's Chevy truck so I can't tell you if they're much better or not, but might be worth a look.

8. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

9. ditto!

10. 1959apache

1959apache

I buy all of my stuff from classicparts.com, who base out of Missouri. Their shipping is fair, they package their stuff right and the get stuff out when you order it. Just make sure you ask if it is on backorder or not. Make sure you buy COUNTERPART made parts. Most of the stuff you buy is made in the Phillipines, hence the black epoxy that they are coated in. Generally they are poor quality versus the uncoated CounterPart components. In addition to classicparts having far superior customer service compared to the truckandcarshop.com (from Orange, CA), they are either cheaper or match truckandcarshop in prices. LMC, Brothers both sell crap parts for inflated prices, often because truckandcarshop.com is the retail side of CounterPart and they sell them for cheap. If you are going to use classicparts.com just use the discount code "Stovebolt" for 10% off, which generally covers shipping.

I have the hinge pocket that you need BTW that I accidently double ordered... let me know if you want it for a far discounted price than LMC parts

11. buzznut,
    Carters is also in KC and they peddle the best parts you can find, original and repop.

Give me a minut and I'll get you a link.

Here ya go:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...YriKvht0Y1oPeCcJEu4gw0w&bvm=bv.43148975,d.b2U

These guy will keep you fixed right up.

12. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Also keep in mind the larger AD trucks- 1 1/2 ton and up used the same cab/interior
    pieces, but being higher off the ground often survive in better shape. If you can find one
    being parted they often provide the same part for less than the same part from a 1/2 ton
    with out even factoring in condition. Front end sheet metal and and trim are not the same nor are running gear.

13. Truckedup

Truckedup

If it's AD parts try Mothertrucker AZ for good used parts.Nothing better than the original stuff,he's a member here.Ray Stanley in New England makes many repop parts and one off stuff in his shop. He also sells to Jim Carter truck parts... [email protected]
    Other than that it mostly a Chinese crap shoot...

14. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

The Truck and Car Shop sells Counterparts and that brand is Mickey Mouse. I know people who have bought Counterparts and within months the rubber cracks. My brother just bought some door seals from T&C shop a few months ago and the seals already have cracks. Counterparts products are made in China.

15. shadams

shadams

I have used multiple sources, and a lot of them were counterpart but were epoxy coated. Most needed somthing to make them work. I used MAR-K for my bed parts and they were much nicer, but I guess it aint hard to screw up straight flat pieces.

edit: Got my floor and firewall from LMC and they were perfect....

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've gotten to where I get more and more from Classic parts. So far decent prices and good service.

17. 1959apache

1959apache

Rubber factories are a dying in the US even if there are any anymore... let alone for reproduction parts for classic cars... of course the rubber is made in China where there isn't any pollution control... We are talking about steel products