Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need advice on painting my rims

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jazzfidelity, Feb 28, 2013.

1. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

I just got new tires but before i have them installed and replacing my wheel covers, I want to paint the wheels.. it's only a tiny strip of the wheel that shows between the wheel cover and the while wall, but it's dull and faded and i though I might as well sand, and paint and touch-up? what's the best paint to use, and should i steel wool the rim before painting and make sure it's smooth? i haven't a clue.. Thanks!

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Prep and rattle can. Key word... PREP.

3. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

Thanks, but what kind of prep is best recommended? and what kind of paint, like Rustoleum flat or glossy?

4. One_sic_C

One_sic_C

I'd just scuff it with some scotch-brite, clean it really well with some acetone or something, and use some rust-o-leum semi gloss black...IMO

5. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

scuff it up well, make sure and remove any rust. really just prep like you would any other part of the car. rustoleum woeks fine for what you are doing. flat or glossy is your call. I spray bombed mine like 5 years ago.

6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Clean them up good, and if you want black or white buy the rustoleum appliance epoxy. follow the directions for coating, recoat in 30 mins or wait a week. its awesome, great gloss and super durable

7. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

"Prep" doesn't really tell you much.....
    Use a 3m scotch pad to scuff it then wipe it all down really well with a wax and grease remover. When you go to mask it, if tape won't stick to the tires, clean them with lacquer thinner. Dedicated wheel paints (eg Duplicolor) are best as they resist brake dust, etc.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It does if you read the instructions.:D I just thought that was a given with rattle can paint. I don't do it sometimes and it never comes out good.