Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A rear spring removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by firetique57, Feb 28, 2013.

1. firetique57

firetique57

I just bought a Model A chassis that I'm going to fix up and build a roadster pickup with it. The rear spring shackles both have a broken bolt in them and I want to drop the rear end to repair this. I understand the spring has to be "stretched" to facilitate removing the shackles. Is there a way to do this without having to purchase a spreader for a one time use?

Attached Files:

2. Fenders

Fenders

Yes... make a spreader, or borrow one.

3. Fenders

Fenders

Yes, see post 2 of the last link above.

4. Crankhole

Crankhole

Remove the U-bolts holding the spring to the crossmember.
    Put a large C-clamp on the spring and take out the bolt holding the spring together.
    Slowly loosen the C-clamp and remove the upper leafs.
    It will still require a little force but now you should now be able to remove and reinstall the main leaf and shackles.
    Reverse for reassembly.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Not entirely OSHA approved...so...for entertainment purposes only...

put a piece of 2X4 wood under each shackle, jammed between spring eye and axle housing. Or short pieces of [ section steel. Strap these into place with a couple big hoseclamps or something in case the considerable pressure about to arrive squirts them out of there.
    Place a stout plank across frame, right up against crossmember.
    On plank, place ex-wife, toolboxes, your spare anvil, etc. until you have enough weight to compress spring to where what's left of those shackles is unloaded, then take them apart. Remove weight slowly (perhaps stop feeding ex-wife) to let spring slowly unload while still bolted into crossmember.
    When dealing with a loaded spring always be aware that it has enough energy contained to kill you.

6. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Very simple with the proper spring spreader. Tragic without.

7. WTSHNN

WTSHNN
    from Chicago

There are a lot of Model A restorer clubs in Ohio, most of them have a library of tools available for loan or can hook you up with a club member who might be willing to allow you to borrow a spreader.

Like others have said, screw up the removal and it'll ruin a significant portion of your life.
    -Tim

8. white64

white64
    from Maine

I've done it with c-clamps, some scary shit right there! I had 12ft of chain wrapped around and the ends of the chain bolted together, just in case, but man it's still scary. Leave the chain a little loose so that it can expand. Have your cell phone dialed to 911 so you just have to hit "send". Put the dog and the kids in the house and put lawn chairs and cold beer out for your buddies, they're going to want to watch... cuz it could get interesting!

9. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

Taking it apart is easy. Just put on your cup take the nuts off of the shackles and whack it with a bfh and it will pop off. When its time to go back together take the spring apartand put the main leaf in first then put the rest of the stack on and clamp it together with a big C-clamp or two and use the center bolt to help pull it together an keep them aligned. Use a new center bolt.

10. I have done several like this.... no problem.

11. 1930ModelA

1930ModelA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

C clamp method is best. Just do one leaf at a time and make sure to keep the center bolt in for alignment. Keep your face out from over top just in case. Overall it is easy just go slow and pay attention to what you are doing.

12. To re-install, you need a c-clamp and a 12" piece of 5/16" allthread. Install main leaf with shackles, stack the spring leaves in place, and compress the spring using the all-thread. Have a c-clamp handy, clamp it on when spring leaves are compressed, remove all-thread and replace with a new square-head center bolt. Henry would be proud of you. And you did reverse the spring eyes, didn't you?

13. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I use a hydraulic 10 ton body jack.

14. are you kidding
    that is the worst way i have ever heard of to remove a spring

15. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

It amazes me the lengths people will go to to avoid using a C clamp and a wrench to remove one fucking bolt.

16. A Rodder

A Rodder

I can't believe how many people RECOMMEND doing the C clamp method WITHOUT USING A PIECE OF ALL THREAD.

17. OLLIN

OLLIN

I like to loosen the center bolt and fan out the springs, you can use a mallet. That way they're not in tension and easier to bend..

18. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Me either.:eek: Replace the centerbolt with a sufficient length af all thread before you loosen the C clamps and then just back off the tension. If that spring gets away from you, you may loose more than the family jewels???