Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4everblue

4everblue

The Beatles ticket stub was very interesting. At that time I was working at a GM assembly plant. My pay rate was $3.54 an hour. The exact price of that ticket. One hours wage today won't buy a ticket to see a no-name act let alone a big name.

2. But 'Enough is Enough!'

3. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Gary, sweet Buick granny has there. Looks like a '49 Roadmaster, if I'm not mistaken.:rolleyes: 320 Fireball OHV straight eight
    Dynaflash. I'm no Buick expert, but does that look like a four-door HARDTOP?:confused: If so, I didn't know Buick offered a four-
    door hardtop quite that early. (I'm a DeSoto guy, and DeS was around the Olds/Buick class. They didn't have a four-door
    hardtop 'til '56. :eek: Yow.)

[​IMG]

THEN&NOW: I always loved the WILD names companies came up with for engines, trannies and other mechanical
    and creature-comfort offerings! "Fireball" seems a little over the top, IMO.

[​IMG]

Photo thanks, obviously, to BOLDRIDE

<!-- end of AOLMsgPart_1_68295397-69e3-4c07-9c75-3749f29aa3d9 -->

4. Another of Elvgren's 'Classy Chassis'
    [​IMG]

5. Perry, Florida - looks like late 40s:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 1952, Tallahassee Florida:
    [​IMG]

7. Early Tele-tubbies? :eek: Nope. They are Russian Cosmonaut 'action figures' from about 1960:
    [​IMG]

8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Posted by SWI
    [​IMG]

Gary, haven't seen this pic before of Brynner, Bronson, McQueen and Vaughan
    in an off-duty moment while filming "The Magnificent Seven." We all know that
    in his salad days Steve worked straight scale wages to pay his rent and eat by
    starring in the surprise 1958 moneymaker "The Blob.":rolleyes:

But what was Robert Vaughan doing in '58:confused:, long before "Seven" or Napoleon Solo?
    ANS: "Teenage Caveman" :eek: for Roger Corman's AIP (American International Pictures),
    created by Corman solely for making B-movies, well suited to the drive-in theater
    audience! Doesn't Bob look right at home as a caveman? :p Styled hair, no tan ... NO
    DIRT? And look at that bow and arrow he's battling the awful prehistoric beast with!
    Suppose he borrowed it from his little cavebrother? :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Teenage Caveman poster art thanks to (from top) SilkPoster.com, FlickRiver and WaffyJohn
    on FlickR.

9. pitbullgirl

pitbullgirl

House address behind her is 241 found it on google earth. post#67500

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  10. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Periwinkle, "Winkles" Can't remember who did the tune "Somebody pinched me winkles"an edible sea snail found all along the New England coast north to Canada. Not native to North America it was introduced from Great Britainan it is thought they were introduced from stone ballast used in the days of sailing ships. Stones would be put in the bilge of ships to balance or offset cargo loads. as the ship picked up more and more cargo the ballast stone would simply be tossed overboard.the common rat was introduced to North America in the same way from shipping. If you look close at old pictures of docked ships you often see "funnels" on the mooring lines these are "rat baffles" used to stop them from running the lines and getting aboard ship.

11. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    Guess I can relax. :rolleyes: Did some scratching, and there was no Buick hardtop in any of the three lines for 1949. And even in '50,
    the only hardtop, apparently was the 2DH Riviera. So, apparently, Shotgun Granny in Post # 67,526 was standing in front of
    the 4DS door posts. Still, though, beautiful Buick!:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

13. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

14. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

15. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

16. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

17. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

The Arrow Shirt originated in my home town of Thompson Ct. the original factory still stands about a mile from my house.Cotton mills built the villages of Grosvenordale and North Grosvenordale. The original Arrow Shirt was created by a blacksmiths wife tired of having to scrub the soot covered collar and cuffs of his shirts. She designed the removeable cuffs and collar that buttoned to the shirt body, If soiled to badly or just worn through the cuffs or collar could be thrown away without loosing the entire shirt.While several mills existed in town every building belonged to the same company and the towns were built and owned by the company. One 3 story brick building had so many looms (at the time the biggest weave shop in the country) that they had to brace the walls of the brick mill because the action of the shuttles in the looms were literally shaking the building apart !

18. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Police Squad Cars with Two-way Radio Capability circa 1940s

[​IMG][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

19. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

[​IMG]

The Peugeot 402 is a family car produced in Sochaux, France from 1935 to 1942 by Peugeot. -

20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Rolf Harris, here's some of the word's.

The Cockney tribes in Britain were meeting for the games
    Held annually, once a year, along the River Thames,
    The scene was quiet and peaceful, the snow lay on the ground
    The Cockneys by their cooking pots were huddled all around.
    The chief was in his tepee his face all lined with wrinkles
    When up the river came the cry
    "someone's pinched me winkles!"
    Me winkles have been pinched (oobie dooby) me winkles have been pinched,
    Now some people say it's a load of old nonsense but a winkle's got a lot of vitamin contents

21. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

22. janbuick

janbuick

I dont think it's a 1949
    look at the hood ornament it's 1951 or 1952

[​IMG]

23. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [​IMG]

Impressive rail station view from Torrington in the Naugatuck River Valley, western Connecticut.
    It's from a picture postcard mailed in 1907 (Teddy Roosevelt was still president!). The station
    was of the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad, which had subsumed the old Nauga-
    tuck Railroad in 1887. Photo thanks to Wikipedia.

[​IMG]

Engineer Bob Lyon and Fireman Rich Edling are the proud crew, posing here in October
    1972 with their pride and joy, Steam Locomotive #103, a 38-year veteran of the Valley Rail-
    road. According to the Rail Preservation News, the photo was snapped just north of Essex,
    CT, prior to moving to its new home in Waterford on the old Naugatuck Railroad. The "Naugy,"
    as it's fondly known by rail buffs, is the operating heritage railroad of the Railroad Museum of
    New England (RMNE). 103 was built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in November 1925, for
    the Sumter & Choctaw Railroad, a small logging railway in northern Alabama. It has a 2-6-2
    wheel arrangement. To read more about the old workhorse, the Naugatuck Railroad and the
    museum, search Naugatuck Railroad. There are plenty of links, pix and videos that'll take
    you back!

24. DrJ

DrJ

White Walls on a Locomotive! :cool:

25. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Right you are, Jan! '51 or '52 and NOT a hardtop. The four Roadmaster fender vents seem same as the [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]photo, and the hood ornament is virtually the same. But we got it narrowed down to those two years! [/FONT]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    <!-- / message -->

26. 63 Safari

63 Safari
    from Central VA

What's the 'over-under' on that?

27. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

no white wheels the tires are bare steel not whitewalls and yes trains have tiresin fact one of the "Super trains" had a severe wreck caused basically by a tire "blow out" that went through the undercarriage and car body like a spear! occasionally in old photographs of towns you'll see a large ring hanging in a frame outside the fire station or on the town green someplace it was common to use train tires no longer fit for service as warning gongs/bells just like the steel triangles you often see in western movies used as the "lunch bell" The junk tire would be heated and split in one spot to remove it from the wheel.When working at a train museum try explaining that a visitors favorite engine is in the shop getting "new tires"!

28. Wow :eek: :eek: :eek: - I like the local or regional vernacular which to some is very acceptable while others - me included - get a hoot out of it. Why, the only time I'd ever heard of this before was when reference was made to Rocky's friend Bull-winkle :p

So now, if anyone
    tries to pinch me winkles at least I will know what they mean.

Oh and how's 'bout some bangers & mash,or vinegar for me chips? :) Thanks for the replies & clarification.

29. StukaBomber55

StukaBomber55

Grandma destroyed some family heirlooms by cutting them up and writing on them. She is entering dementia and is attempting to preserve her memory making notes on everything. She shared these with me today. I promptly stole them for framing :)

First car the family owned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apparently grandpa Von fritsch changed his name during ww2. But grandma can't remember what he changed it to......

30. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

tiny tiny font.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.