Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Pharoahs Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Post Apocalyptic Kustoms, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From an article in Street Rodder, May 1976.
    The Merc was built strickly as a movie prop. Henry Travers found it in a spectators lot at a stock car track near Sonoma in completely original form-right down to the wheelcovers and whitewalls. After purchase it was delivered to Close and Orlandi's where it was immediately transformed into a custom. The top chop actually isn't bad for a "quickie". Other custom touches included shaving the hood,trunk, and doors,frenching the headlights,and creating a one-bar grille-all within a couple week. The engine and drive train were left stock.
    In broad daylight the chopped 51 Merc looks like a movie star without her makeup. Built in two weeks,body mods include severly chopped top(no drip rails,rear window lowered into the package tray),dechroming,frenched lights,peaked hood,custom grille. Rest is stock.

2. Kip Pullman

Kip Pullman
    from Clovis, CA

3. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

4. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Who pissed on your corn flakes man?
    Jay

5. hahaha....I never noticed that before! You would think the guy who copied the Merc so well would have at least got the spelling on the jacket right,hahaha...

Stogy likes this.
  6. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

That is some funny shit!
    Jay

Stogy likes this.
  7. I don't know about that. The Merc in the movie looks the way it does due to the movie budget and time. NOT to try to capture any realism of the skills greasers had in 1962. Customs weren't built by criminals back then...that's just stupid. Most Customs were built by shops like Barris,Ayala,Valley Customs,etc. Hot Rods,on the other hand,are a different story,haha...Pretty much,remove the fenders and bolt some speed equipment on. Customs took alot more time, money and skill.

Stogy likes this.
  8. At least it wasn't a tattoo....The guy could always remove the letters and re-sew them on. hahaha

Stogy likes this.
  9. As a dues paying member of the Pharaohs, member number 218 car coat and all. You would think the guy would at least look up the word and spell it right. Also he left out the black spots on each letter.

10. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe if he had spelled it right, and put the spots on the letters, and if the real Pharaohs caught him wearing it," they'd tie him up and drag him" ;)

11. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

looks like it was painted with a garden hose, but if memory serves, the yellow deuce was the only car they couldn't find a buyer for!

12. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

Even you guys that consider the car an ugly turd have to admit that it would be a F^^king blast to have it for a Saturday night to run around in. My inner hoodlum begs for it.

Stogy likes this.
  13. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

That has always bugged me. I have some pages on our website for "Clubs With The Same Name" and this page for the Pharaohs has some examples of plaques spelled the wrong way and a link to a video clip showing the jackets in the movie spelled the right way.

Someone also made up a plaque that was probably sold at events where the stars of the movie were appearing and it was also spelled wrong.

Stogy likes this.
  14. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Ooops. Looks like the video on YouTube has been removed.

Stogy likes this.
  15. Easy guys...This was the B -side

16. Heo2

Heo2

Most of the customs featured in magazines was built by shops.
    But most not all "regular" customs...if we can call that turd
    a custom was built that way by same tuffguy looser caracters.
    fighting over riding shotgun ....geeesss
    When they run that movie here the local scums got so inspired
    by the pharahoes so they tied a guy to there 63 impala and
    draaagd him after the movie

17. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

:confused: Did you mean to say Phara Hoes?

Hey ..... That sounds like a good name for an American Graffiti wantabe club. To be a member you would need to have a yellow 32 Ford 5W, a black 55 Chevy post, a white 57 T-Bird, a white 58 Chevy Impala or a chopped maroon Merc and Paul Le Mat would be the honorary President.

18. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I wish they would have used your car!

Stogy likes this.
  19. Eddie Paul is probably lining up to sue your ass about now.:D

ps. Here is more about the MERC.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423208

20. JAWS

JAWS

21. atomickustom

atomickustom

Don't be so sure. George Lucas was a total car guy as a teenager, and he personally rejected at least one '32 3-window as being "too nice" to be Milner's coupe so there is a very good chance that he intentionally let them use a half-assed Merc for exactly the reasons stated (i.e. where the hell would those guys get the money for a Barris-type car?).
    The fact that it also meant they could do it quick and cheap was surely part of the equation, but you'll notice that Bolander's '58 Impala was not a turd.

Lucas was casting cars, not just actors. (And based on some of the things said about him as a director over the years he probably understood the car casting better than the human actors.)

I would love to own that car. I wouldn't change anything but the height and the wheels/tires/hubcaps.

Stogy likes this.
  22. I saw the merc back in 1976 at the front of the north hollywood tours gate. fur over the seats. she was sad at the time. but still a star ! and i have to view her as that star. As to the H merc I as a customs guy, hated to see the queen of the choptops Mercs looking so sad.

Stogy likes this.
  23. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

B-Nose,
    are you aware that there's a Pharaohs Car Club in Socal that's been around since 1953?
    Read this http://cincobuenos.wix.com/pharaohscarclubsouthbay#!__about-the-pharaohs

24. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I don't keep track of lowrider clubs.

There are at least several other clubs from So Cal that have used the Pharaohs name .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and who knows, but this could be another .....

[​IMG]

25. [​IMG]

This is the one I use!!

26. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

a GOOD fit! GOOD onya! :D

27. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

I never really gave that Merc much thought til now. Damn that f-ing thing is ugly

28. well ok ..... let the drama continue........no intermission in sight.........

Attached Files:

29. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. Hahaha...I should have been so lucky! They just could have done a few things to make it look better in the movie,like wide whites,skirts and lowering. Lowering alone would have done wonders.

Stogy likes this.