Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Buntline Special A/Modified Roadster Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mattbee, Mar 14, 2011.

1. ed_v

ed_v
    from Kentucky

I am so glad I found this thread!

We're all very proud of you Matt. Keep up the great work. Thank you very much for sharing.

Ed

2. Mattbee

Mattbee

I've had half days all this week so I've been able to work on the hot rod. Spent the last two days making the jig moveable (bracing and casters) so I could roll it out and tack the front crossmember,and steering bar. I was finally able to get that done today! I was finally able to roll it out and get a good side view of the hot rod and it is starting to look Bitchen! I plan on starting on the rear crossmember tommorrow!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was about 15 degrees out!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    bymanr likes this.
  3. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

man that thing is cool, keep posting pictures....your doing a great job on the build...

4. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

Looks super bitchin!

5. jimdillon

jimdillon

Looks great Matt. You're a trooper playing outside these days as it has been a tad cold. Warming trend next week (40s). Keep up the good work-Jim

6. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

7. Mattbee

Mattbee

8. 117harv

117harv

That thing looks cool as hell all mocked up, keep after it HAMBer.

9. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Love the viedo Matt........heck, you move like thay all day and it'll be done in lass than 22 hours
    Cant wait to see your final product..........and im not alone

10. Harms Way

Harms Way

Get back to work kid !,..... We ain't getting any younger !:cool::D

11. Mattbee

Mattbee

I got had a snow day on friday so I headed over to the shop and did some work on the hot rod. I finished up the plates for the rear crossemember. I will have 3/8" thick plates welded to the frame rails with 4 3/8"'s tapped holes in them. The crossmember will have 3/16" flanges on it so I can drop the crossmember out if I ever need to. I just have to get some tubeing bent and I can finish it up. Now is where I'm going to start jumping around on the build. I am trying to build what I can with what I have laying around. With as much as I would love to finish the steering and build the rollcage, I just don't have the materials laying around to do it. But I do have the materials laying around to build just about the whole Potvin set up! So I started on that. I will go back to the steering once I finish the Potvin. I started by polishing the aluminum tubeing that will be the intake runners for the intake manifold. I then started laying out the intake manifold flanges. I was able to get them layed out and drilled the holes for the ports and started cutting the bottom edge. (left the camera at the shop so I don't have pictures of some of it). I'm going to take the flanges to school tommorrow and finish the ports on mill. I will be building the whole potvin set up from the carb box to the intake manifold out of aluminum. This is going to be interesting.

Crossmember plates bolted together.
    [​IMG]

Polished aluminum tubing for the intake runners.

[​IMG]

Intake flanges layed out

[​IMG]

More pictures tommorow.

12. ml_engr

ml_engr

Looking Good! Keep at it!

13. Mattbee

Mattbee

I took the flange to school today and milled the ports out. The first port was messed up as bad as I thought it was ( Corner holes were to far out) I will have to weld the corners and then mill it again. I'm going to take the other flange to school tomorrow and mill that one.

Corner holes drilled.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 296ardun

296ardun

Outstanding!! This is what hot rodding is all about, you are really keeping the art alive!

(was up late last night trying to finish work, finally burned out and reached for the pile of old Hot Rod Magazines my daughter has given me throughout the years, and in the first one i grabbed, September 1960, there it was, the original Buntline Special, real piece of engineering, I had forgotten how well built it was...you are doing a great job of bringing your repro back to its standards.....)

15. Harms Way

Harms Way

What a show off ! :D

16. Mattbee

Mattbee

Got alot done in the last two days. I worked on the rear crossmember. I was able to get the main part of it laided out and tacked together. Now I'm going to make the uprights for the trans and the gussets. I also worked on the intake some more. I finished up the second intake manifold flange. I was also able to cut 4 of the intake runners. Once I get them all cut I will put them in the press and make them fit the ports.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Mattbee

Mattbee

I was able to get all the intake runners smashed/ovaled today and mocked up one side of the intake. Next I have to cut the holes in the main tubes and then polish everything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

19. Goldy

Goldy

Mattbee; Hi my name is Goldy, I met you a couple of years ago at Marion County Midwest Funny Car Nationals. You were the awesome kid taking pictures in the staging lanes with a ten foot pole camera. Great pictures I might add.
    I was there doing the tuning on Rob Bundy's Shellshock Vega Funnycar. MCIR is always an awesome event.
    Anyway, enough introduction, the purpose of my post is that I may be of some assistance to you. My son Kenny, "gbones 32 coupe" on the JJ and I are building a period correct 32 Bonneville fuel coupe. We are using an early Chrysler, like you are, with a Potvin front drive blower assembly. We have the real deal from Potvin, the tubes, the air box with pop off, and the intake manafolds, etc. So, if you need any measurements etc. to duplicate, we can help. You can go to Kenny's page on the JJ and view the Potvin up close or pm me for details. Sorry I am late offering but I just now discovered your post. I am pretty busy with my funnycars and have not been on the journal for a while. You are doing a terrific job on your build, keep on! Goldy

20. Goldy

Goldy

21. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Ya man if you need any help let me know I can send you pics or trace some stuff for ya. I just read this thread my self and your doing a great job. keep up the good work will be looking forward to future progress Im subscribed.

22. Mattbee

Mattbee

Thanks man! I have been following you and your sons build and it is awesome! Hope to see you at the track this year. Are you going to be at MCIR this year?

23. Mattbee

Mattbee

Thanks man!

24. Mattbee

Mattbee

I jumped back to working on the rearend the other day. I took the rear axle to school and made a scatter shield and seat pan for the rearend. I made some brackets out of angle iron and TIG welded them on and then bolted it to the rear axle and heated it up. I used the second set of brackets as stops and moved the brackets as I heated and bent the sections, as I went I beat the sharp curves out of it to make it more round. The scatter shield turned out pretty good. I still have some more clean up work to do. I made the seat pan out of some scrap rod and and sheet metal that I had laying around. The seat pan will be temporary until I make up a rear seat out of aluminum.

Some crappy cell phone pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

Great build! One thing I noticed is that you never wear hearing protection when grinding etc. I know when I was young I never thought about it either but I can tell you you will miss your hearing later in life.. I know I do.

26. Noland

Noland

turning out great. Keep up the awesome work.

27. Harms Way

Harms Way

WHAT ??????....... What did he say ??????
    :D
    Speak up !!!

28. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

29. 296ardun

296ardun

Just realized you are using a Culbert in-and-out box...used one in Don Blair's sprint car, have not seen one since, the thing was pretty indestructable! Where did you find it, got to think that they are pretty rare now.

30. Mattbee

Mattbee

Hope to have some updates on Sunday! No pictures until then:D