Register now to get rid of these ads!

wiring a coupe....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by convict, Feb 26, 2013.

1. convict

convict
    from laredo,tx

Ok, I have never wired a car,but I will soon have to wire my 31 coupe, any pointer,how hard is it?? Any help will help....LOL

2. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Ron Francis Bare bonz kit. Used it in my Model a

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

I run one wire at a time. Its fun and rewarding when you power up and see things light up.

4. pops29

pops29
    from turlock ca

Cant go wrong with Rebel wire 8 circuit kit. I sell quite a few of these, and Bob at rebel wire is the owner and tech line , no kid answering the phone give him a call 423-263-5399

Rebel Wire harnesses are all assembled in America from American made components. We use only heavy duty SXL wire and label each one every 6" then bundle them for easy installation. Each kit comes with easy to follow instructions and tech line information.

5. X2 on Rebel wiring. Good stuff.

It's not rocket science - just go for it.

6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

It's easy. Just have plenty of cold beer on hand. And brush up on all your favorite expletives.

7. convict

convict
    from laredo,tx

Can I run,air cond,if I want later,with an 8 circuit?

8. Dan1955

Dan1955

I used the RebelWire 8 circuit kit in my 30 A coupe. Piece a cake after a call to the tech guy. Great kit for the money, and tech help is second to none.

9. pops29

pops29
    from turlock ca

If you are wanting to possibly expand then buy the 9-3 kit

This kit has 9 circuits for lights, gauges, radio, heater, motor, and third brake light, plus 3 open circuits for whatever you might want to add such as power windows and doors, electric fan, etc. Kit comes with easy to use instructions for Chevy, Ford or Mopar installations, dash light wire, neutral safety switch wire, fusible link, 1 1/4" rubber grommet for the firewall, 3 fuse block terminals and fuse block label.

10. Model T1

Model T1

Go for the bigger kit for very little more cost. Extra circuits are nice to have and eventually you will use them. Like they said, just run one thing and check it. You will enjoy doing this and be rewarded when finished. My kid has been rewiring cars since around 10-12.

11. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Ron Francis Bare Bonz, $390................... the nerve!

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm in the same boat, I wish you well, no two people will give you the same answer in things electrical. Good luck. Bob

13. Did my own on paper first. Used Sacramento Vintage Ford braided wire kit. Doing it on paper gives you an understanding before you get started.

14. norms30a

norms30a

I have a Ron Francis for my A and everything is in bags labeled, like 1,2,3,4, start with bag 1 and do what it says. One wire at a time.

I have screw connectors near the headlights and tail lights in case I want to remove the lights in the future, that way I don't have to cut wires.

I also leave some extra wire behind the gauges in case I want to flip the gauge cluster down on to my knees sometime. Beats standing on my head,lol.

15. pops29

pops29
    from turlock ca

One thing to remember is,, Rebel wire is a member here on the hamb and a vendor
    the 8 circuit sells for 150.00 and the 9-3 sells for 170.00

Rebel Wire Inc. – Bob over at Rebel Wire offers some of the best traditional wiring solutions on the market. And if you are an Alliance member, you get 10% off!

16. Cerberus

Cerberus

I had never wired a complete car before. Went with the HOT ROD 9 + 3 Rebel Wire harness. Bob helped me with the exciter wire, and the rest was a breeze.

Attached Files:

17. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i did my 30 coupe myself with a "ez" kit last year so it's still fresh in my mind. it went ok, just try and not be in to much of a hurry. i hid all the front wires in a tube. you will need some multi-pin connectors for the headlights. i put a milti-pin under the dash so i can remove the gauge cluster if i want to. i think was 13 pins for that, 5 pin connectors on each headlight, and three pin on the tail lights. i spread out the whole harness on a 4'x8' sheet of wood next to the car and re-configured it to fit my car and needed to add some wire to a couple of circuts. i put the fuse box under the left hand area under the dash then went across to the right under the cowl (no gas tank) and then down the passenger side thru a hole in the floor up against the cowl-side, then out and to the front. good luck with your install.

18. D-man313

D-man313

Another one using a Rebel 9+3. Great quality, easy to read instructions. Just take your time, and focus on doing one section at a time.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

19. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

20. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

Yes get a rebel 9+3 kit. The instructions are very detailed. Plus you can call and they will talk you thru any problems your having. And seriously, take your time, connect everything properly, heat shrink, solder etc. wrap it nice. Route it nice and you will be happy. Don't take a weekend. Take a week or a couple weekends to make it look like factory.
    I separate by front/engine/lights by middle/dash by rear/taillights. Divide em up, tape or cover them off. Find a great place to mount the fuse block. Find cleanest route for the wires, mount em down and hook em up.
    I always hook up the motor first, cause its just the starter, cool and alternator. Then the key ignition switch, then the battery.
    Because then your can turn on the key and see if things are working as the should. Like starter power etc.
    you will do fine. Follow instructions and take your time

21. Gator

Gator

Not the best advice for someone who's never done it....

As others offered, buy a quality kit and follow the directions... Never understood why everyone is so intimidated by wiring.

22. convict

convict
    from laredo,tx

I guess 9 +3 rebel wire it is...... Thanks

23. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

If you buy it from this HAMB member, you get a 10% discount, regardless of being an Alliance member: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=730018

I ordered a 4 circuit harness from him a couple weeks ago... Great guy to deal with, and shipped fast too.

The harness itself seems really well made, and the wires are all labelled every 6" or so, which makes things alot better..

24. 55willys

55willys

I use Centech fuse panel and wire from scratch sometimes, other times I will also use the Centech wiring kit. Very good kit that is adaptable to most anything. If you get the complete harness they will taylor it to the modifications to your car (ie column, alternator, radio, etc.) The panel includes turn, hazard, and horn relay. It is a printed circuit board fuse panel about 4"X9".

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

FIRE! Loosing the car to a fire in the garage that it attached to the house, that is worry number one. Three or four in the morning would be another worry. Bob

26. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Here is another vote for the 9 + 3 Rebel kit. I have one in my 27 and it is a good an any I have used. The American Autowire kit does have some advantages, like each wire being removable from the fuse block to simplify installation, but they sure are spendy.

For the money a Rebel kit is a really good value.

Don

27. ml_engr

ml_engr

Its not hard, just remember electricity is color blind.

28. Ok I am sold will this also work on a 60 olds and have plug ins for the wiper/light/sterring colum ?

29. gemcityrenegade

gemcityrenegade

Shit for 400 bucks I just wire the shit from scratch. But I'm just a broke dumb ass redneck with a bag of zip ties who knows how to wire relays and fuse blocks..:eek:

30. Diavolo

Diavolo

Someone who obviously writes before reading. Rebel wire kits start at just over $100. Stupid hurts, it's just that stupid people don't realize they are being injured.