Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cheap distrib HEI on Sleabay is good?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porkchop4464, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccrodder

ccrodder

Bought one in a "pinch" at a show, cheap fix to get home.
    It has over 2 yrs. on it... if it craps out now I got my moneys worth ($60) out of it!
    I am now carrying a MSD Ready to Run in the trunk for back up if necessary, although trying to save it for new engine build.

FYI...
    Make sure it gets full 12 volts.
    Screwed with that issue 'till I read the fine print!!! :eek: Duh-h-h

2. honestly, how offend are going to drive this car....?

couple hundred miles or long trips like the powertour.

or just around the neighborhood sonic

3. bigvinny

bigvinny

like I said before my bro has one on his nova and it works fine. me on the other hand am not as cheap as he is and usualy buy the best. I put a msd billet dizy on my drag cars 347 small block, and it kept goin out of time, finally found out it was the distributer gear wearing out, but not before I sent msd ignition box back to get checked out, going through 2 disributer gears and wiping out a roller cam before I figured out the problem the distibuter gear wasnt deep enough to thrust on the block and cousing it to wear out quickly. msd did send me a new distributer but it still cost me alot of money, time and agrevation. so dont always judge a book by its cover or by its price.

4. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

"Of course that key tool you need that you were sure was in the glove box is missing.
    I have yet to have an electrical failure in anything but the worst of conditions."

So, so , so damn true! I chuckled out loud on that one, b/c it is so damn true. Always at the worst time. And the thing you hide away in case, is rarely where you thought you put it.

This is not a long trip car. This is an aim it straight, hold the hell on, take it for a burger, fill it with gas, talk with the guys at the shop, fill it with gas, and park it in the garage and think of the next project.

Honestly, I want to thank everyone for chiming in. While we all don't share the same ideas, I always get a variety of information that always has great ideas, concerns and even insults which hold merit. Gotta' love the Hamb.

Thanks Folks

5. A few days late here but I'd just run it, who cares. You already bought it, screw it... I run a Skip Whites HEI unit in my 80 El Camino for about 3 years with NO issues whatsoever and that thing was like $50 shipped to my door but I knew a handful of guys who ran them and you know what, for $50 it could last me a year and I'd be just fine. Buy 2 for backup and run em. When you can afford a nicer unit then go for it but in the meantime run what you can. I try to buy the best when I can but there are times when I want to just get my shit on the road and throw whatever I can in it for the time being while I save up for what I really want. It's that or let the vehicle sit in the shop for a year and not get used then other shit goes bad like seals and gaskets... I think the only comments against parts should be from people who have actually used them and had an issue with them. That's my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

6. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

I hear that, Shawn; and I'll take that advice!

Pork

7. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I have run a couple of the Skip White large body HEIs from ebay, so cheap I had to try one, cheaper than I could rebuild and put new parts in a used GM one. First thing I do with any new HEI is pull the module and put extra heat sinker grease on the module, heat kills the module so make sure there is enough grease. Both have run great with no issues, couple thousand miles so far. Check the grease and run it.

8. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Drop Top, when you say load the grease up, do you mean pull the chrome housing and pack that with grease? What is heat sinker grease. Like white, lythanium or bearing grease? Or is there an actual heat grease? Sorry for teh ignorance, but I'm 43 and have never heard of it.

Pork

9. Drive Em

Drive Em

Wow I just checked out the Skip White Performance website, and I have no idea how they can sell a new complete HEI distributor for $38.50.

10. Drive Em, me neither but they do and I know a lot of guys who have used them with good luck. Their customer service is great as well so if you have ANY issues, they will send you another one or the part to fix it no questions asked. Google them and you will see...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.