Register now to get rid of these ads!

Top Chop???$$$

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cosmic12, Feb 24, 2013.

1. cosmic12

cosmic12

Had a friend show up at my garage today with another guy that wanted to see my 52. Seems he has a 50 sedan like mine he wants chopped but he wants to go down two more inches than mine and wants more slope in the rear into the trunk area.
    So he hits me with a how much$$$$ to do it. I think about it for a bit and give him an about price and he gets kinda pissy and says there is no way it should cost that much:eek:.
    My question is how much would any of you guys expect it to cost to have someone chop it, put it in rough primer, and do all the garnish moldings?:confused:

2. Take yer #, double it and tell him ya reconsidered.
    That way he'll go away.
    If he copped an attitude with a fair price, he'd be a pain in the ass customer anyway.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tell him $10,000.

4. cosmic12

cosmic12

5. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

a fair days work for a fair days pay---don't cheat yourself...

6. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

check out driveway builders thread on chopping a 52...

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is the absolute truth...guaranteed. If the subject comes up again, tell 'im you wouldn't do work for him at ANY price. Better yet...don't allow him around your place anymore...EVER. Nothin' worse than a whiny, parsimonious, dickhead, problem-child customer who knows nothing about what it takes to do this kind of work. I'd also ask your buddy to be more careful about the types he brings around...though I'm sure he was just tryin' to drum up some work for you.

8. cosmic12

cosmic12

So anyway I told him 3k and included materials but not the vent windows.
    I thought that was cheap and I really could use the work as I am layed off from my regular job. Think that was to much? I don't haveing just done mine and its still not finished.

9. Poesrodandcustom

Poesrodandcustom
    from Kentucky

^^^^^yeah that. Well what Rickybop said!

10. We just chopped my 36 3 Window. 120 hours for just the roof but it is all tiged and hammer welded. Add another 50 hours for the doors and garnish mouldings.

This is two people as well so 170 hours x $45 = $7650 + paint prep.....

At the end of the day you only get what you pay for

[​IMG]

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

TIGHT! We're doing a '36 now too. Nice to see "proper" pricing. I was not kidding on the $10,000 price. We did a '52 Chevy, that, when done, was metal finished, and comprised of just 3 new pieces, meticulously rolled on the English wheel.

You get what you pay for.

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Don't quote a price. Just tell him it's time and materials. Otherwise you are going to regret it. But do tell him to be prepared to pay at least $10K. Payments due weekly as you work. No payment means work stops and he gets to take his car home "as is". To protect yourself, have a written contract and photos.

13. your quote is low in my opinion...be happy he did not take it.

14. If he thinks $3k is high, I'd ask him why he doesn't give it a try himself.

15. cosmic12

cosmic12

Thank you, thats how I was thinking.

16. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

3k sounds cheap! At least 7-8k + materials

17. cosmic12

cosmic12

That is exactly what I was thinking of telling him or anyone else. An hourly rate for an honest hours labor.

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is sound advice. I would not quote $3k to chop and metal finish a Model A.

Time and materials.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  19. Cruiser

Cruiser

Cosmic12 - Walk away from doing anything for this guy, his attitude tells everything about him.

CRUISER
    :cool:

20. Andy

Andy

Listen to Cruizer!!! There are a lot of folks that want something for free and even then want it done over. I am sure you woud never please this guy.

21. deto

deto

If you're gonna do all that work than 10k is fair. I chopped my car 3 years ago and i just finished putting the last bit of glass on it. A COMPLETE chop is a lot of work.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm tellin' ya...keep the "him" part out of it. You gotta look for indicators with people. They lie or give you a hard time in one instance, and they're gonna give you problems later too...only worse. I swear to God. I know how it is...you need the work, and work is available. Even at a cut-rate price, you're thinkin' that it'll at least be better than not having any work. But I'll say one more time...you will regret it. This guy is a clueless dink. Find work to do for those that appreciate it...you'll be way happier. And think about this...if you took on this job, and someone else comes along with a good attitude, and good work for you, you'll have to tell them, "Sorry, not until I get finished with this moron's car.

23. gold03

gold03

"I told him 3k and included materials but not the vent windows."

For that price you could be very busy, not rich, but busy.

gold03

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^A thousand times, this!^^^

25. deto

deto

Holy shit 3k? You wanna come work for me? You can work 9 to 5 and I will pay you 3k per chop. Any jerk off who comes into my shop and immediately tells me how easy the job that they couldn't do themselves is gets shown the door. I just started a business man and so far my best business decisions have been turning away certain jobs. Tell this clown to walk.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

26. metalman

metalman

3k is about the most anyone around here is willing to pay to chop a 50's sedan which is why I quit doing them, too much work, at least the way I do it (tig welded and metal finished). I let the backyard hacks with a cheapo mig and a bondo spreader do em.
    2" lower then yours would be a red flag for me as well, IMHO that would be too much and not look good, I only want customers with good taste!
    I'd let the guy go elsewhere, you can laugh when you find out he found someone cheap but they ruin his car!

27. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

Time + Material = "estimate" I do this and that is the only way to go......Ask me how i know.....

28. cosmic12

cosmic12

OK! I get it, I phucked up on the price but I know this area and nobody has any money. I might be one of those backyard hacks with a mig welder but I started chopping tops almost 40years ago with a torch a hammer and dolly with a wet rag. I find the mig/hammer/dolly much eaiser and faster.
    This is the first time in better that 15 yrs anyone has asked me to do one so i was kinda cought off guard. And the guy was kinda a dick.

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Many shops that I have worked for over the years did not understand the fundamental distinction between a quote, and an estimate. The ones that did often did not take the time to clarify that distinction with the customer.

A quote means that that is what it is GOING TO COST. It is a ceiling on the price of the job. Your customer will expect to not pay a cent more.

An estimate means that is what the most basic and fundamental portion of the job is expected to cost. It is a floor on the price of the job. Your customer should expect that there can, and will be additional charges. Make sure that those terms and rates are not just established, but well understood by your customer.

I have yet to find a project that did not have an unexpected issue come up. I believe I have yet to find one that did not have TEN!

If you do not establish these terms with your customer, in advance, you are headed for bad blood. It is your job, as a shop, or a individual, providing a product or service, to manage your customer's expectations.

NEVER QUOTE a time and materials job. I don't even quote parts prices, until I call the supplier, and get today's price.

This all gets done in writing, and gets a signature from the customer. No contract, no work, no way, no how.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013