Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bruce Weiner Microcar Museum Auction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill McGuire, Feb 20, 2013.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Insane money for... historically (in)significant cars? Makes recent Fiat Jolly or VW Microbus sales figures look like bargains, eh? Gary

2. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Recession? What Recession?

3. That's some big money.
    I think it is unfortunate that this collection is now
    no longer together.

4. The story is that he sold off this collection to start another!

5. I saw this collection a couple of years ago,,I was amazed by all the cars I had never heard of. HRP

6. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ This. It was an amazing collection of these cars all in one place and should not have been broken up.

7. Hellfish

Hellfish

That was a great museum. Too bad it's gone

8. I know, right? I have theories but don't we all.

9. So the latest fad for the "my dick is bigger than yours" auction crowd is little tiny cars - how ironic

10. UniqueCollector

UniqueCollector

Well lets hope the cars all went to someone who will take car of them and not leave them to be found in rough shape

11. Check out the gasser . . .

[​IMG]

12. Can any of you microcar experts shed light on this?

13. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

I read the auction was expected to bring in 6 million dollars, and they exceeded that by 50%. For the prices people were paying for these cars I'd be surprised if they didn't take pretty good care of them.

14. Made for people in Europe where they usually have small alley ways to the backyard. The front suspension lifts and tucks under so they can be moved into the yard.

15. 28 cars were bought by a Russian collector at around a million $$ total. :eek:

16. Thanks! Whole bunch of creative engineering going on in these cars.

17. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

anyone know what this red car is???? the boat looking gasser car look like it has renault wheels on it.[​IMG]

18. Ever been to the Lane Museum in Nashville, TN?
    They have a bunch of pretty small cars too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even have a woodie wagon............

[​IMG]

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^Nope. If you lost the lid and fixed the swing axles, it might be a fun mini-engined lakes / sports racer, too! Gary

20. I NEED to learn more about this - that's the coolest little woodie ever!!!

[​IMG]

Steve

21. sewman

sewman
    from Toledo,Oh

I got a woody just lookin at that woody.

22. Me too.

The Lane Museum's owner, Jeff Lane, often takes his cars to events -- and is really great to talk to because he is not only extremely knowledgeable, he's very generous about sharing his knowledge.

23. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Steve, it's one of Martin's (the aircraft guy) micro-minis. If I'm not mistaken, it's one of his later prototypes (about '49?) which, like the rest, failed to find a financial backer for mass production. If you Google him, I think you can read about his forrays into autos and SEE pix of all of them, starting back in the later 1920s.

Great thread! THANKS, Bill, for the current info. This auction was a long time developing, so it's great to hear how it turned out.

TOO DAMN BAD a way could not have been found to keep such a unique collection together, really.

24. noboD

noboD

I was at the Lane museum last spring. This woodie is the only one that was built, as are many of the cars at the Lane. Many of their cars run and are driven. The price of the Peel at the Weiner erases one of those from my list of needs.

25. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

The historical significance of there cars is minimal in the U.S. When they were made they did matter in the countries where they were manufactured, and they mattered to the many who couldn't afford a more expensive car or one with higher operating costs.

26. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Right, Al. Though SMALL cars had been tried in the early years, many of these cars were built during the post-WWII "micro-car" resurgence. CHEAP transportation was needed in any of the coutries laid to virtual waste by the ravages of the war. That makes them historical significant -- and just fun for those who don't care about history.

27. ??? It has been there on display for many years already. How long must someone keep them? I don't understand everyone being dazed and confused that someone decided to sell their cars. He formed a collection and sold them once before, perhaps he will do it again. Its the chase and finding the cars he enjoys, not so much holding onto them forever for us to gawk at.