Register now to get rid of these ads!

So-Cals new 5" drop axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tmfcracing, Feb 23, 2013.

1. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

Hi guys.
    I notised that So-Cal now has a new forged axle with 5" drop instead of the more common 4"
    I ordered it yesterday as I need to change the axle to a forged one on my project.(to get the car street legal )...and I like the idea to get the front down another inch.
    Anyone got this new one yet ?
    What do you think about the new axle , good or bad .

[​IMG]

2. Who's making it for them,,Magnum? HRP

3. grazy

grazy

I was told they are forged 4 inch dropped axles with an addition inch drop put in them. We have one hanging in the shop now bought it through Steadfast Mfg. It looks good to me, to get the perfect stance a 5 inch dropped axle is an absolute must have.

4. saltracer219

saltracer219

I think it's too bad they chose not to taper the forging on both sides of the perch boss like the Ford axles. I really don't care for the sharp corners, just my opinion.....Nice lookin other than that!

5. cracker head

cracker head

More likely, China....

6. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

It will put extra leverage on the axle trying to flip flat.

Ago

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'll bet they sell a ton of them. If I didn't already have a 5" dropped one I'd be in the market.

Frank

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

They look great but a with a 44.5 kingpin center they seem a little narrow??????

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That really is pretty narrow. I guess they are thinking on fendered cars it will tuck up under the even lower fenders and be able to turn. I ran a 46 incher on my 23 and it was pretty narrow,so 44.5 is getting really slim.

Don

10. Yeah a big axle really sets up a good stance. Mine is a 6 inch Bell. Actually 5.5 I think.

[​IMG]

11. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I wonder if the more narrow width makes up for the wide buick disc brake covers?

12. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

That car sits nice.

How close does the axle get to the ground if you were to get a flat tire?

13. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I would think maybe 5" would be too low for a full fender car.

Ago

14. 4psi

4psi

I am considering going with the 5inch drop on my full fender car. If there is a will there is a way.

15. Not really,,I have a 4" dropped axle and a mono reverse eye spring and a Model A cross member under my full fendered pickup I'm thinking mine is around 5 1/2",,it ain't too low. HRP

16. What about scrub line??

17. box50

box50

I'm buying one next week from them,price is not to bad.Hey HRP where did you get your mono reverse eye spring if you don't mind.

18. Tjet
    Ohhhh about an 1/8th of an inch or so at the bottom of the spring perch but it does not touch

19. mickeyc

mickeyc

I think I read they are being forged in Indonesia?

20. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I talked with them some time ago and they said they were thinking about having their 4 inch axle dropped another inch locally, hence the narrow width.

21. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

VVVVVVVVVVV look at my signature line VVVVVVVVV

22. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

Maybe more Chinese shit????

23. alchemy

alchemy

Comparing the pic of the 5 to the 4, it sure looks like this is what they have done. Dropped a new 4" axle even more.

24. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

Interesting....does that matter to you ? .....do you mean that the axle probably cracks if its made in china but if a guy do the same labor in usa it wont.
    What if the american guy who makes it is from china ;)

Omarsvette likes this.
  25. A long time ago in a land far away - Mordrop would drop your axle as far as you wanted but with great risk. I had a Mordrop on my Roadster when I got it some 40 years ago. It was 2 or 3 inch drop if I remember right. Mordrop had a Jig they would put the axle in and heat up the area between the Kingpin boss and the spring pin boss. The kingpin boss and the spring pin boss were secured in the jig but the spring pin boss was movable in the jig. so when the area between the bosses was red hot they would gently start to move the center down creating more drop. The farther the drop the more narrow the material became between the 2 bosses. A 4 inch drop was very susceptible to bending if you did a hard stop.