Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Wanted: Men and Women who ran Vargo Dragway located in Perkasie, PA "PROJECT"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WICKEDJOHN, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Hello fellow Hambers,
    Hope all is well with you and your families! I am currently seeking all drag racers, weekend warriors, track workers and women powder puff drivers who ran Vargo Dragway located in Perkasie, Pennsylvania from 1960 - 1969 for an exciting project! If you know anyone in your family that had this wonderful opportunity to do so...Please contact me A.S.A.P. with his or her current contact information. Thank you in advance for your support! I appreciate it...Sincerely, John

PLEASE NOTE: I am interested in all living and deceased men / women racers from that era! **Also, looking for that special devoted weekend spectator with photos and or home movies for a personal interview! Hope you can Help! ...John

2. Goldy

Goldy

I'M in, drag raced many times there in junior stock and c/altered. Pm me your email.
    Goldy

3. Hello Goldy,
    Thank you for your prompt reply and I look forward to working with you! PM sent! Sincerely, John :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  4. Hey fellow Guy & Gal Hambers,
    I continue to seek Men and Women who raced at Vargo Dragway for a big upcoming project! Please let me know your contact information so we can incorporate you in on this super cool endeavor! You do not want to miss out! I look forward to speaking with you! Sincerely, John :)

P.S. Whether you raced / worked / there one day or every weekend...I want to hear from you!

***NOTE: Also looking for Vargo Drag Wheel / Drag Sheet weekly track handouts...Also looking for Time slip / Run Cards / Photos etc...? Please let me know if you can contribute your copied materials?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013

5. BTTT....:) Very cool Vargo Dragway project guys and gals...I am still looking for people to be a part of documented history! Please contact me A.S.A.P.! Sincerely, John

6. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

John ........I know my 39 Stude was raced at Vargo. The owner was Charlie Garrett out of Hanover Pa. In the early 60's it was red then sometime in the mid 60's it was rebuilt and painted black. I have just restored the car and is finished except to reinstall the aluminum grill. Im not sure that I have any photos of the car at Vargo racing but i will check. Here is a couple photos....can you tell if any of those are Vargo??? :confused:

Attached Files:

7. Hello ltownrodder,
    Yes, the middle / center photo you have posted, is in fact Vargo Dragway Perkasie, PA! I would love to have Charlie represented in our project! Please PM me your contact information so we can speak! Thank you...Sincerely, John

8. Hello fellow Hambers,
    Hope all is well with you and your families! I am currently seeking all drag racers, weekend warriors, track workers and women powder puff drivers who ran Vargo Dragway located in Perkasie, Pennsylvania from 1960 - 1969 for an exciting project! If you know anyone in your family that had this wonderful opportunity to do so...Please contact me A.S.A.P. with his or her current contact information. Thank you in advance for your support! I appreciate it...Sincerely, John

***Very grateful to have Charlie Garrett onboard and represented in our Vargo Dragway project! I just got back from the Post office and we have mailed out whopping 98 Vargo Dragway interview forms to date! We are still looking for more people to be a part of our book? Come on guys...email me A.S.A.P.! :)

PLEASE NOTE: I am interested in all living and deceased men / women racers from that era! **Also, looking for that special devoted weekend spectator with photos and or home movies for a personal interview! Hope you can Help! ...John[/B][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  9. BTTT....:) Very cool Vargo Dragway, Perkasie, PA project guys and gals...I am still looking for people to be a part of documented history! Please contact me A.S.A.P.! Sincerely, John

10. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

I was at Vargo a few times, mostly before I was old enough to drive, but then also a bit later with my buddy's H/gas Henry J. I'll PM you my email since if you're planning some kind of reunion or whatever, I'd love to blast my '32 down the track, or even just meet other hot rodders at the old track.

John,
    are you aware of this thread? Might be some leads in there for you: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=779577&showall=1

11. BTTT....:) Very cool Vargo Dragway, Perkasie, PA book project guys and gals...I am still looking for drag racers to be represented and to be a part of documented history! Please contact me A.S.A.P. with your contact information! Thank you and I am looking very forward to working with you guys! Sincerely, John

12. John, You should try to attend the York U.S. 30 Reunion/ Musclecar Madness event at the York Expo Center in July. I'm sure you would be able to find people and information to help you in this endeavor. Good luck........................Don.

13. Hello Don, Thank you for your heads up reply! The York U.S. 30 Reunion/Muscle car Madness show is on my calender for July '13! Should be a ton of northeastern drag racers present at the event to interview for the Vargo Dragway book! I am currently working with many area drag racers and seeking more ole racers daily! I am very excited, honored and blessed to be speaking with many great men and women who ran Vargo Dragway back in the day! Keep the referrals coming guys as I do not want to overlook anyone! Sincerely, John

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  14. Good luck with your project, feel freee to use photos I have previously posted, I have originals should you need them.

15. BTTT.... Very cool Vargo Dragway, Perkasie, PA book project guys and gals...I am still looking for drag racers to be represented and to be a part of documented history! Please contact me A.S.A.P. with your contact information! Thank you and I am looking very forward to working with you guys! Thank you, Jack! I appreciate your old photos...I will be in touch! Sincerely, John

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  16. BTTT....:) Very cool Vargo Dragway, Perkasie, PA book project guys and gals...I am still looking for drag racers to be represented and to be a part of documented history! Please contact me A.S.A.P. with your contact information! Thank you and I am looking very forward to working with you guys! Sincerely, John

17. ragsie

ragsie

John,
    I believe that you could contact "Junior Vargo's " son via the 422 Motorsports nostalgia racing group. They have a website.

Ken and Jack Gunning are HAMB members too. As are others in this region.

I often raced my Gold 62 Impala 409 against Junior Vargos Flying Chestnut Ford I do have some 8MM film from around 1965...but never transferred it to disc. It may still be good

Jim Stafford (610) 287-8626

18. Hey fellow Guy & Gal Hambers,
    I continue to seek Men and Women who raced at Vargo Dragway for a big upcoming project! Please let me know your contact information so we can incorporate you in on this super cool endeavor! You do not want to miss out! I look forward to speaking with you! Sincerely, John :)

P.S. Whether you raced / worked / there one day or every weekend...I want to hear from you!

***NOTE: Also looking for Vargo Drag Wheel / Drag Sheet weekly track handouts...Also looking for Time slip / Run Cards / Photos etc...? Please let me know if you can contribute / share your copied materials for this project!

19. LVTAJr

LVTAJr
    from Allentown

My Dad was a member of the Lehigh Valley Timing Association. He passed away this past February. He had a few pictures of Vargo Dragway that I'll try to get a hold of and share with you. I'm new to this H.A.M.B. thing. PM me and we'll try to connect.

20. Hey fellow Guy & Gal Hambers,

***NOTE: Also looking for Vargo Drag Wheel / Drag Sheet weekly track handouts...Also looking for Time slip / Run Cards / Photos etc...? Please let me know if you can contribute / share your copied materials for this project!

21. Coopercarl

Coopercarl

Hello- my Dad raced at Vargo's quite a bit in '64 & '65. Super Stock with a '63 Savoy & a few others. Apparently he was quite successful. I'd love to help out. Let me know how. -Carl

22. Hello fellow Hambers...Still going strong on the Vargo Dragway Book! Hope to talk soon! Please contact me A.S.A.P. at 207-768-6900 Sincerely, John

23. the shadow

the shadow

vargo1964c.jpg vargo1964b.jpg vargo51964.jpg user5283_pic57776_1237341808.jpg 065.jpg 022.jpg vargo1964e.jpg vargo1964.jpg vargo1964d.jpg vargo1964d.jpg I have a few drags sheets from '64- to '69 a couple are originals most are copies from originals, the dragster in my avatar also ran there.
    paul

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  24. Bob Randall

Bob Randall

25. Bob Randall

Bob Randall

Bob Randall, I ran a 1962 Chevy Impala SS blue hardtop in A stock. 409 4 spd 4:56 posi. I went to school at Pennridge HS with Jr Vargo. Many good memories building cars and racing. Hung out at his dads garage.

26. Bob Randall

Bob Randall

27. pnevells

pnevells

Hi John,
    We have corresponded before, I was there most Sundays it was open was open, we lived first on Elephant rd just up the street from the track and later just past the shutdown area . I turned 16 the year it closed in 1969 but have lots of great memories from the track. Growing up next to Vargos is how and why I became a drag racer . Many years after it closed in 1977 ,I rented a garage from Jr Vargo right next to the track to work on my gas dragster, below is a pic ture of our rig outside the garage the track is in the background and our current nostalgia altered at the track reunion car show held every year
    trailer.jpg PICT0014.JPG 20151107_074842.jpg