Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many of you have people claim THEY built it when YOU did?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carlisle1926, Feb 22, 2013.

1. jvlk101092

jvlk101092

better than all of that I had a 49 ford gasser that I got out of a wrecking yard (stock two door) and some jerk tried to tell me that it was his car some years ago and I had ruined it. he was about thirty and the yard owner told me he had it about twenty years , it took me 6 years to put it back on the road making that clown about 4 years old when he supposedly owned it

in the car biz you find many clowns and BSers

2. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

^^^^ That's not good...

3. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

Wife and I were at a NSRA meet in Pueblo. Almost walked past a car had built for my wife. A 36 Olds. Had a new ugly color. Asked for the owner. Wife said it was our old car. Guy said he bought it from the builder. So, I told him what as underneath the hood, and the suspension. He proceeded to cuss my wife out--asshole almost got punched.

4. Olds Tinman

Olds Tinman
    from W.N.Y

My Pops and I did a frame off on a 61 Olds Starfire 25 years ago. The guy who bought it let it sit out side and turn to shit. Now the new owner said it has never been touched. LOL When it is sitting at the nats in a all origal class I will ask him why our names are on the firewall lol

5. Fake survivor.... LOL!!! Wait I've heard this same story on here before..... Just on a different car.

OP: tell me more about why the Mystery Machine logos had to be removed from the van.

6. 19-c

19-c

For some guys buying a car and screwing a shift knob on it means they built it.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I built the chassis and suspension from scratch, and hand-formed nearly half of the body panels, and modified all of the rest, Henry's participation in the endeavor is nearly irrelevant.

8. its my opinion that people who are not honest with themselves, let alone others, will eventually have to own up to that. In the meantime, just continue to be proud of what you do. Its not about revenge or anger, its about justice. What goes around comes around.

9. Had a similar thing happen to me when I was back in the UK. Guy said he built it, I I asked how he converted the rod 32 brakes to hydraulic...he then said they were always that way from the factory... LOL.
    Nothing to do with the VW bus cylinders in there!

Tis great fun when you catch people out!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. fairlane 63

fairlane 63
    from NO.DAK.

I built my 38 in my garage at home,When it was done all but the interior some car guys came over that I really didnt know that well and one of the guys told another when I was standing next to that it was built by someone else,Kinda funny.

11. When I was 16 myself and my dad built my first car together. It was a great experience and I learned a lot. At the time I was working as a Wal-Mart cart pusher (not braggin) and I would park my car on the outskirts of the lot to avoid door to door damage.

So I'm leaving work one day and I see a guy at the very end of the lot looking at my car. As I'm approaching the car he looks at me and says "not bad huh?" Confused by that greeting I say "um, ya I guess not." This opened him up to going on about how cool HIS car is, and how proud he was of it!! I was blown away, but excited at the oppurtunity to screw with another human being without remorse. So I'm asking him engine details, how much it's lowered, what the wheels are, etc. Some of the answers I was getting were just fantastic. After a few minutes of this I went for the closer..."hey how do you get into this thing?" (handles were shaved)

Answer I got "oh I left the keys with my wife." What keys?? EVERYTHING was shaved off the car! Anyways I had my fun. Popped the solenoids, and without losing eye contact climbed in, fired her up, and left the lot with the reconfirmed lesson that A LIE WILL ALWAYS CATCH UP WITH YOU.

12. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

13. nali

nali

:p
    I like this :D

14. Snakeoyl Joe

Snakeoyl Joe

Do it like " PALMER WHO ELSE " Weld it into top of frame clip.

15. Is it ok for the guy to claim it as his work, if he also claims that your dead? thats what happened to me.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am sure that there are some that might wish that about me, but I have yet to hear it said.

Sorry for your loss. How did you die?

17. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I have painted flames on a few cars for friends. At a small show once a guy I had never seen before was looking at the flames on my car and started telling me about his buddy that painted flames. He pointed out about five cars with flames and said his buddy had done them. I told him I had done two of the cars he pointed out, which I had, and he says " oh, well my buddy painted those other ones". :rolleyes:

18. raymay

raymay

Several years ago my son spotted a guy at a car show in the middle of a sales pitch on a 55 Chevy Handyman wagon that I had owned and sold a couple years earlier. This guy was laying it on way too thick telling all the stuff he had just done restoring this car when in fact the car was exactly as I had sold it. My son went back to our car and got a little photo book that had pictures of cars I have built or owned. As we walked by this guy in the middle of his sales pitch, my son in a loud voice said "hey dad look our old 55 Wagon. Still looks as good as when we owned it two years ago".
    Naturally both people seemed to become interested in talking to me. Turns out this guy had recently purchased the 55 from the guy I sold it to and was probably expecting to score big by saying it was a fresh restoration. They were both surprised to learn that I got the car in a partial trade for one of my streetrods and that it had been professionally restored locally even before I owned it. All I did was take good care of it, enjoy it, and sold it for what it really was. He never did make his sale that day. Last I heard the car is sitting in a garage in or near our town.

Attached Files:

19. cody1958

cody1958
    from wichita ks

Me and roomate of mine with his 29 ford at ameri cruize in lincoln nebraska years ago. We were sitting in the registration line and in the back ground i kept hearing this guy talk about how he built this merc that was king of mercs in 84ish. Not knowing any better i went and looked at it and more and more people kept coming buy and same bull shit story i kept hearing. So i got to talking to someone about that annoying a..hole and come to find out it was Dave stuckys old merc. and he did all the work. LOL What a loser

20. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

I recently drove my car over to visit a friend, I brought the car from a fellow hamber. I don't take credit for building the car when some one asks about it. Any how a drive over to a beach club with this guy and he is telling people he knows come out and look at our car we built this. Then he parrots to these people all the information I told him about the car. It really got me pissed and I felt like kicking him in the butt. I just kept my mouth closed and walked away from this jerk. Need less to say I won't be taking the car back there. The only good thing some girl flashed her chest at me as I drove by on the way home.

21. metalman

metalman

Years ago I had a customer claim he built the car I built him at home in his garage, even went so far to show off the build pictures. Too bad the pictures were in MY shop. Someone called him on it, he replied he like my shop so much he copied it exactly in his backyard. Everyone saw thru it so we all thought it was kinda funny, poor idiot, never understood why he got no respect from the other rodders in town.
    As a different aspect we had this fu-- up chopped pickup floating around town, one of the other shops here started telling prospective customers I had built it ( I never had seen it, let alone work on it), that pissed me off more!

22. Fenders

Fenders

Maybe... my rod has a Ford coupe body, Brookville frame, GMC engine, S-10 seats, Mustang steering box, etc....
    I did it all but I still feel funny saying I "built" it... I assembled it, as did most of us.

23. Aw yeah--been there and got the T-shirt. :mad:

Couple years ago I traded into a neat little 60 Fairlane--292, 3x2s, 3 speed, baby blue with a silver flaked roof, and a HAMB connection even, to Stephen Fields. Great little car--ran good, perfect stance...but I had to put my mark on it, so I added a set of Kelsey wires, grafted a 63 T-bird scoop on the hood to cover the hole for the tripower, and flamed the roof with blue candies. Like most of the cars I have, I was ready to move on soon after it was done, and a close friend/customer knew it was for sale and brought his ex son-in-law by to look at it as a potential buyer. This guy took a 15 minute test drive, and when he returned the engine was running a little rough, so I moved on the price a bit, made the deal, carried the guy 20 miles to the bank(for cash), then I delivered the car to his house 50 miles away. All fine and good. :cool:
    Two months later my friend calls to chat and tells me his ex SIL blew up the Fairlane engine, and is bitching about the car. Dang, I hate it, but.... "Don't worry" he says, "he's a dick. If he wasn't, my daughter wouldn't have divorced him".
    Fast forward to this winter. There's a local trade paper for area shops, and on the last page each month they feature an old car. Imagine my surprise when I see the Fairlane featured! Cool! Then I read the article, saying how this guy was 'driving by' a body shop out in the country, stopped and struck up a deal for the poor forlorn Ford, neglected behind the shop, and how he negotiated a low price which he still thought was too high(and the price he quoted was about 2 grand lower than the truth).....then went on to moan about why he got it cheap, saying it 'blew up' on the way home after he bought it. Then more horse shit about how the intake bolts had been tightened down on the pushrods, causing it to overheat, then blow up:confused::eek:. His account went on about how after rebuilding the engine and trans, he added a 60 T-bird hood scoop and 60 T-bird wheels and completely changed the looks of the car with the exception of the roof..which was painted by the 'previous owner, who, after all, owned a body shop'.
    I read the story 3 times just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating, then called the guy who put us together. "I told you he was full of shit" my friend reminded me.
    I can't wait to run up on this guy when cruise-in season starts this spring, just so I can congratulate him on his storytelling:rolleyes:

24. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I actually did build my car by myself, with the help of a few hundred people over the last 46 years. I can not even remember half the people that have helped move it around, held bolts, welded a part when I did not have equipment available etc. Last week a friend sewed up my headliner that my daughter and an old friend are going to install next time she is home from school.
    It takes a lot of help to build a car by yourself.

25. raidmagic

raidmagic

Def Leopard did "Pour Some Sugar On Me"

26. I think the best way is to take these claims as a complement. After all if you've done such a fine job others want to claim it. The work must be good.

Personally I'm happy to do the work, get paid and make what I hope it cool shit.

If you know what you've done and are proud of it what difference who gets the credit.

People claiming others work as their own has been happening forever.

Mark Shearer

27. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

One of the cars I built back in the sixties. Was a one page feature in Hot Rod magazine in the early seventies. Exactly as I built/sold it, except a wheel/tire change.
    Captioned as "All work done by owner"

I sold my FED back in 81. The guy that bought it would tow it around the town he lived in on the weekends. Tell everybody it was all his design and work. Never saw it at the track after the sale.

Another time a friend and I drove my VW Baja Bug to a NASCAR race at MIS. Got to park in a special VIP area because my friend was on a pit crew (Albama gang).
    After the race, my friend and I came back to the car and this guy had a small crowd around my car. Telling them about all the work he had in it and some high price he paid for the paint/lettering and murals (did them myself).
    My friend wanted to beat his ass. I just inserted the key and drove away.:D

28. I died horrifically in a freak tiddlywinks accident.

29. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

I painted a 67 Chevy van to look like the Mystery Machine for a friend of mine who does kids parties professionally. He was given orders from Disney to cease and desist, after his "Shaggy" look alike that worked for him took the van without permission and performed a show for kids at the Downtown Houston Aquarium restaurant that the Disney lawyers happened to be eating at. Things went down hill form there and the van was stripped to bare metal, but they still nailed him in the pocket book anyway.

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's harsh, man.