Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hei....or points

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by convict, Feb 21, 2013.

1. I went with the Pertronix setup for my '58 chevrolet, both the original 235 6cyl and when I swapped in a sbc. Fits under the stock cap and looks bone stock on the outside except the wire, but peace of mind and relialiby were top of my list, hated doing the walk of shame when the old points shot craps.

2. And there are so many systems that are much better than the HEI. The HEI has inherent design flaws, starting with the coil in the cap which not only is a bad environment for it but it leaks voltage all over the inside of the cap. GM realized this flaw and went away from the coil in cap design as demands on the ignition system became greater.

3. 68vette

68vette

What is wrong with these points put in this car in 1993?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgBFh7m_45w<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

4. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Pertronix or a hidden HEI

4TTRUK

5. Depends if you prefer to drive or have your head under the hood . For my daily driver - electronic . For my toys - points have more play value . I love uni-points

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

One thing I don't miss is point bounce. I remember all too well having to cut up an old set of points and double springing the set of points to give it more control. Dual points helped somewhat, but still were not great at 7,000 rpms.

Don

7. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

my daily driver - '62 Bonneville - has points. I think I put new ones in about 30,000 miles (and 10 years) ago. Ye, I have had to adjust them -twice since installation.

"point" is (pardon the pun) is that simple works.

On my more demanding cars, what also works WELL is a Dave's Small Body HEI conversion...Points distributor, modern internals.

Hope it helps...

8. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

some of you guys act like you have to check your points once a week...

I like to tinker and tune..my 350 has had a gm single point and now I am switching to a Accel dual point. I can change the advance curve if I want,and all I have to do is check the dwell once or twice a season...i check my oil more than that.

Yes an HEI is a set it and forget it, but it looks like shit...at leat the ones with the big cap with coil in it.

i also stock extra points and condenser in my tool box in the car in case i need them for some reason.

with a good set of points and a good dizz you can get the same performance as one of the ugly HEI's

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  9. Moedog07

Moedog07

Points for show - HEI for go!

10. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

A friend made several H.E.I.'S for my early hemis, the big block hei's seemed to work best something about the engines reving at about the same rate, he also made them for straight 6's and inline eights. For me the larger size of the GM H.E.I. looked right on the early hemi and worked great.

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

short piece of windshield wiper hose jammed in between the point arm and the outside of the distributor body, unless its a chevy...

And with the stock module, the HEI isnt ''great" at 7 either...

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Its like whenever theres a thread on solid cams. I'll tell you a little secret, the guys that are saying that have never set points or valves...:eek: