Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Ugliest Kustoms of the 50s

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 21, 2013.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Someone posted this recently on another thread. Personally I would love to tailgate a few yuppies in it. Hopefully it has a fog horn.

[​IMG]

2. ^ That looks like a 'Frisco 60's 'Yellow Submarine' hippy parody- doubt it's 50's.

Yes Falcongeorge, my memory only lets me know the DiDia car costs heaps ( the car had a name...?)- I think it made the scene in '61? Rik?

Hot-rod dude here on the HAMB is a swap meet junkie & found a 1/24 period- built scale model of a customised '36 Ford once. I'm only going off memory here, but it had something like a '58 Chevy headlight pod & a '60 Merc grille. The rest of it I think was pretty mild. Hopefully he sees this & posts a pic.

I just threw this drawing together & it's not the same- but maybe you get some idea of what young minds were coming up with back in 50's- early 60's..

Attached Files:

3. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

Here is a few

Attached Files:

4. X2... everyone involved should have gotten life without parole!!!

5. cosmic12

cosmic12

and what is this?

Attached Files:

6. Just to illustrate how "Ugly" is in the eye of the beholder.....Consider the Lincoln Futura vs. the Batmobile. I saw the Futura introduced as a young guy. Many of the HAMBERS know the Batmobile much better, and I'm willing to bet the Ba (I can't even type it....was far more influential than the Futura. There is no comparison, but the popular culture decided for many of you what was cool...and not. There are those who want the thread closed....maybe because we don't want to humiliate "current builders" of ugly....I get that. Too underscore personal opinion, and its value....I'm happy to admit that I am a far bigger fan of the Barris version of Jack Chrismans Coupe than the original....Why? Because it appeals to "my" eye, and I think for myself. That's what the car hobby is about, not peer pressure or a blind allegiance to the past, or to "Tradition". True Custom guys have always been willing to stretch the envelope and never content to "mimic" other cars...A lesson that many here could benefit from. My Favorite Custom Builder today? Without a doubt, the collaboration of OZ and D'Agostino......Hand in glove, Masters of Contemporary Custom cars. Taking nothing at all away from anyone else, especially who guys slamming it out in your garages in the MidWest....These guys execute the concept as well as its ever been done...IMO. Why he opted to slice the fins off the "Royal Empress" and the "Imperial Royale", and install the top of the "Royal Emperor" ass-backwards, I'll never know, but it's his dime......Just goes to show that we all have our weaknesses.....I'm thankful I live in a time and place where I get to express my opinions and have enjoyed the hobby for over 50 years. You go Oz........and all those who have brought us much pleasure in the past............Centurion9

7. metalshapes

metalshapes

That is the Reactor, and it is another car that does not belong on a Ugly Car Thread.

PA160092-vi.jpg

8. rampant150

rampant150

I kinda like this thing but I can't help but see it in another light...

[​IMG][​IMG]

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  9. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

I think this is a later build, but I think it's a custom bad ass. maybe with a few sat rings out the peak in the front would set it off. Is the only thing acceptable to be custom now a 50s chopped/slammed merc lead sled or a 36-48 slam job?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  10. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Might need some dental work for sure.

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  11. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Golden Sahara, the DiDia, the ChopIt Beatnik, and the Reactor: all not ugly.

12. flamingokid

flamingokid

I like subtlety as much as the next guy,but I'm always impressed with the degree of difficulty involved with these builds.I just wouldn't own one.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Definately does not belong here. The Reactor was a pretty clean design. maybe a little dated now, but sure as hell not on this list.

14. cosmic12

cosmic12

I agree! I was just looking for Reaction:rolleyes:

15. No sweat, it's all good!

16. S.F.

S.F.

NOT UGLY. that is not debatable.

17. S.F.

S.F.

WHAT! I hope your joking. This is one of the most beautiful works of art ever created in the history of man kind.

18. Uh this is Harleys personal ride ! ugly NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :eek:

19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Where are the headlights?

20. This was called the Stiletto and was built for Bob Larivee of Promotions, inc. his original corporation. Part of his show circuit and he had a stable of cars over the years that traveled the circuit. It was designed by Model Products Corp. employee Gene Baker and executed by Ron Gerstner. It was middle sixties era.

21. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Check out the U.S. Armed Forces Germany plates and the sort-of-LeSabre rear end - gotta be yet another Spohn "creation"!

Speaking of which, I don't see anything too bad about the LeSabre. It's just that when Hermann Spohn started putting its same rear end treatment on EVERY car he customized, from boxy Chrysler sedans to buses (!) you begin to wonder if the LeSabre was a good idea in the first place...:D

Oh, and Blowby - the headlights were under the oval grille (it rotated to reveal them).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  22. The front oval rotates to expose the headlights side by side in that little oval.

23. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Agreed. Wasnt saying it was one.

24. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

looks like the model used for something in cars inc.

25. daddio211

daddio211

Bwah ha ha ha ha ha... the wife and I just got a good laugh out of this!

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I stand by my earlier assertion, what a collection of bizarre ugly crap.

27. I was just sitting in this car a few days ago. Very cool little car. Hell.. It could be the first custom ever built running air bags. (Yes, I know it is not truly a custom) gotta love it for what it is.

28. johnod

johnod

Thanks, I thought I was all alone in my dislike for the bats.

29. Pete Fox

Pete Fox
    from Belgium

I think this is an interesting thread!

30. metalshapes

metalshapes

It has Citroen Hydropnuematic suspension.