Register now to get rid of these ads!

Very Strange power steering problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1great40, Feb 21, 2013.

1. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

Guys, I got my 40 Ford fired up tonight and running but couldn't do much with setting it up because the power steering was going nuts! the steering wheel would start to shake and then the hydraulic pressure would spin the wheel to a hard left and it would stay locked there until you shut off the motor.

This is a GM pump running a Ford box from a late 80's Ranger. Honestly, I have no history on the pump or the box but I did consult with a few guys at shows who sold steering gear and everyone told me that the combo would work. I have never seen anything like this before have you?

2. Take the belt off.

3. That is usually caused by one of a couple of things. #1 being having the hoses hooked up backwards. Can also be air in the system and too much pressure, but the way you are describing it, I'm betting on the hoses hooked up wrong.

4. Okatoma cruiser

Okatoma cruiser
    from Ms

Sounds like the hoses are hooked up backwards. I did that once and cranked it on jack stands- darn thing went crazy

5. AZ 54 BELAIR GUY

AZ 54 BELAIR GUY
    from AZ

I believe the Gm pumps put out to much pressure for the ford system. I think they make a fitting for the back of the pump that will drop the pressure. Anything is worth a try

6. 55willys

55willys

Hoses swapped.

7. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

The hose may be the problem. Somehow many years ago I determined what I thought was the correct plumbing. I know for sure the pressure side and the return side on the pump but for the life of me I can't remember how I came to the conclusion for the connections on the box. Anyone got info on this?

8. Dizzie

Dizzie

Exactly. I had the same problem when I installed a Mustang II and power steering in a friends '40 pickup. Switched hoses, problem fixed.

9. happened to me once....when the hoses were on backwards

10. OK, I think the general consensus is - the hoses are switched - reverse em and problem solved ;)

11. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hoses--we did it once and the steering wheel went crazy !!!!!

12. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

Thanks guys. I will engage in a little plumbing project tomorrow I guess

13. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

I went to NAPA today to see if they had a flare to flare bushing because reversing the lines on the steering box required that the fittings on the ends of the supply and return be swapped. Making a fitting for the return was no problem, just a piece of 3/8 brake line with a little bubble on it to retain the hose. The pressure line, well they had no fittings in their junk to do the job so I chucked up a piece of 1/2 inch cold rolled steel in the lathe and made a 3/8 x 5/16 coupler. I put a flare nut and a double flare on the 5/16 end and then brazed the whole thing together. It will be barely visible down there. I just need to paint it because I took all the plating off to braze it.

[​IMG]

Wish me luck :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  14. 39ChevyBob

39ChevyBob

Good Luck!

If when you get it sorted out, and the steering feels very light and quick, get this or a kit like it to reduce the pressure coming out of the pump. It will make a big difference. I recommend using all the shims.

http://www.billshotrodcompany.com/17043/17148.html

15. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

Thanks Bob! This is what I'm expecting may have to be done to give it the feel I want. I'm going to fire it again tonight and see what happens. I just finished installing the modified lines.

16. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

Thank you so much to all the guys who pitched in with their experience! I fired the truck up again tonight and the steering seemed fine. As was mentioned it may be a tad "light" but I'll have to wait till I can actually drive it before I plan any changes. It's still not running right but since the engine is T.B.I., it's O.T., that makes me S.O.L. on the H.A.M.B. :)

17. Fenders

Fenders

Yep.

18. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

Sorry I haven't posted back sooner but I did finally get to drive the truck (barely) the engine is OT and I'm having trouble getting it to run right but the steering was GREAT. Not as light as I thought it it would be and very smooth. Thanks to all who helped point me in the right direction.

19. Weasel

Weasel

Just a note of pressure: GM pumps put out 1200 psi, Mustang and T bird racks like 800-900 psi. if you do not put a reducer in the pump you risk blowing the seals in your rack....

20. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

The OP said it has a steering box from an '80 Ranger, some of those used GM P.S. Pumps.
    KK