Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the coolest old car you've seen in a junkyard?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobG, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Last summer I saw a 57 nomad- roof had been lopped off (to fix a rollover?) but..
    I was lucky enough to grow up having an uncle and grandpa that owned/ran a wrecking yard. They got one of those dodge sweptside trucks (moparjoel) that had been hit on one rear side. Uncle loved it but figured he'd never find another sweptside to use to fix the bed. Crushed it. Then, after he found out that it was a station wagon quarter. Common enough that he woulda saved it if he'd have known. Was a clean, neat old rig.

1morecarIpromise! likes this.
  2. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Bought a Porsche 911 in a small town in ALA about 10 years ago. Only foreign car in the yard. Local college kid couldn't afford to to fix it and sold it was the story they gave me.

3. In the 70's I saw a junk yard with 2 rows of 20's and 30's cars and trucks, but the one that always stood out was a Moon.

4. I found two 58's, and thought I needed to buy them. 2dr 58 Biscayne $350 and the 4dr 58 BelAir came with it, for $100 more. The 4dr had the back glass & trunk floor, that the 2dr needed. They broke the 4drs back glass, trying to get it out before I took delivery of the cars. They ripped the front seat out the 2dr, thinking I wouldn't notice. Sheesh! I got it back.. believe me

11 years later, I had finally scrounged up 'all' the missing 2dr Biscayne pieces. They're not heavily advertised, being it's not a popular car. That makes it worth having, in my eyes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as it sits now..

[​IMG]

5. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Interesting story on Mr. Bales, do you have more info, kinda fascinating!!

6. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Oh yeah, this is supposed to be about junk yard finds; a '64 Fairlane 271 horse Hi-Po 289, '41 Zephyr sedan, '35 International trucks, there's more, gettin' old, brain works slow!! ; (

7. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

Back in the early '80s I found a pair of Ford coupes, a '46 and a '48 sitting in this 'private' junk yard in NY. They were driven to their resting places and keys still in them. The tall grass was starting to raise hell with the lower sheet metal but they were defiantly keepers. The yard owner said his Dad drove them there after buying them as a pair and never did anything with them. They could have been had for the stately sum of $500. I was too young and broke to get 'em.

8. A junk yard in west Jersey had a rare 60's Amphicar. It was too far gone so it remained a land yacht.

9. Hudzilla

Hudzilla

In 1969 I remember going to a junkyard in New Jersey that had a V12 K model Lincoln. Custom bodied but a rotted mess. This yard also had a 41 Cadillac coupe with a visor. Best junkyard? Hebelka's near Allentown ,Pa. 40 acres and nothing newer than 1960 .(this was in 1972) .The guy looked and smelled like a Neanderthal . Funny as crud. All gone now.

10. metalman

metalman

Years ago I was poking around a junkyard and saw a 48 Ford cowl & front clip on a frame. I stepped up on a pile of scrap wood piled on the frame to check out the dash. After a couple minutes I realized I was standing on the body, it was a woody that the body had all fell in! Thought about saving it, well for about 30 seconds anyway.

11. janbuick

janbuick

a 1954 plymouth convertible in a belgium yunkyard

[​IMG]

12. I found this kustom in my local yard a few years ago, it disapeared pretty quickly.

Attached Files:

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

'69 428 SCJ 4-speed Cyclone. RARE car. Rarer than the funny looking "Model A" Curbspeed posted anyway...:D

14. While not knowing what all of the cars were, I remember a girlfriend taking me through one of these polebarns 20 years ago. It was amazing, like stepping into a time capsule, but alas half of the roof had collapsed at that point and half of the cars were crushed. What a heartbreak that was.

15. white64

white64
    from Maine

About a mile from my mom's house back in the early 70's Truitt's Yard in Gardiner had a yellow 70 Boss Mustang and a white 71 HO TransAm... each with nose damage, for months my face would be glued to the school bus windows on the way to and from school.. they weren't common cars even back then. One Sunday we snuck into the yard just to look... he had a running big 30's Packard, a glass top pink Ford, tri 5's, and up in the back were the 30's and 40's stuff. I'm sure there was more interesting stuff, but when you were in your early teens in the time of muscle, the cars out front were the ones we all wanted!

16. janbuick

janbuick

I think this one is rare
    frazier manhattan in the belgium woods

[​IMG]

17. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

i gotta learn to use google maps---an old man gave me about 5 acres of fraisers , studebakers , and model A's ( coupes and sedans ) they were at his old home---no road---would only let me in when it was cold because of rattlesnakes---don't think i could still get them free but i would like to know if they are there---i was always going to get the A's later ...been 20yrs ---friend of my dad's they are both dead now both made it into their 90's----anyone from this area knew him--he had tons of 50's and 60's stuff---complete cars only fair prices nice guy---no pics

18. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Back when I was around 14 (1964) I used to just hang around the salvage in our little town. I can still tell you what was in the rows of cars,

The notables are an MGA with a flathead V8, a '54 Merc Convertable, Several step down Hudsons, '37 Chevy tudor sedan. The owner had a '48 Ford Dump Truck with a 394 Olds in it mated to the original truck 4 speed.

But the coolest by far was a '51 Chrysler Town and Country Wagon with the original wire wheels. Man I wish I had that car now. It belonged to a local handyman and he used it to haul his tools and paint supplies before it ended up on the salvage yard!

19. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Forget the Nova I want the Dodge Crummie!:D

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  20. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's one I found in a yard in '69 or '70. It was a 5 hour drive from where I lived. The guy that owned it said I could have it for scrap value, which was, would you believe $10.00. It was't a happy ending to the story though. Utes were not cool at the time, so it was wrecked out to fix a coupe.:eek::rolleyes:

Attached Files:

21. slamnfreak

slamnfreak
    from Washington

There are several of those near here, and one's coming up for sale, soon.

22. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

i saw grahms and cords stacked 3 high all sorts of pre-war fords ,studes and whatever at a closed salvage yard on the corner of waldron and rogers ave ft smith ark 1963

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  23. 510madmav

510madmav

This.
    [​IMG]
    So I bought it.
    [​IMG]

camcrusher likes this.
  24. Cortney

Cortney

It's still there! Pikes Peak Motors! At least it was this past summer!

25. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

A '36 Ford 3 window coupe hot rod, no front fenders, olds engine. They wanted 75 dollars for it, but being 16 years old I didn't have it. This was in the early '60's.

26. Anyone here from Minot?? There was a junkyard there that had an early thirties Packard hearse in it sitting on what looked like a NAPCO chassis. This was about 25 years ago. The yeard also had a couple mid 50's Buick and Chevy hardtops??

27. stood next to this one in the woods last summer

[​IMG]

camcrusher and Acey_Deucey like this.
  28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the coolest was a 37 or 39 Studebaker Express that was sitting in Century Auto wrecking in Wapato, Wa about 25 years ago and I could never get them to put a price on it.

29. _sir_charles_of_reno

_sir_charles_of_reno

Just left pick n pull in South Sac yesterday, there was a solid and complete 1964 Chrysler Newport sitting in the back, was only missing the side mirror. Every piece of plastic was choice. The same junkyard even had a Ford Cortina sitting in it, though it has been totally picked through.

30. Who ever owns this one must not realize the true value of it or they would take better care of it. Unbelievable.