Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cheap distrib HEI on Sleabay is good?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porkchop4464, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. distributorguy

distributorguy
    from MN

The small HEIs are computer controlled. If you really can't use a stock distributor because they won't fit, bring it to Napa and buy their premium module, or put in a used genuine HEI module. Again, do your best to run either an American coil, or one made in South AMerica if you can't find USA.

2. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

The front end is a 55 Ford stock axle. It is suicide, spring hangers off the bones; 7 degrees back, 22 inch, 6 leaf spring (I made the bones from 1 and 1/4 round DOM with 3/4 heims on both sides.

[​IMG]

3. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Thanks for responding Coop. I have another distrib (points), which I will keep close at hand.

4. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Yeah, but didn't you defeat your purpose (ignoring) when you responded?

Place dynamite in hollowed out carrot. Close shade as train approuches quickly... While--EEEE- Ky-oteee! Super...

5. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

I thought they were. Pork and Beaner explained that one to me. You would think they would make an insert for the vortec Distrib guts?

I am just gona run it and see what happens. I will keep all posted. Hopefully, I will be in the percentage of those who shared positive experiences. If not, yet another cheap deal that I will learn from- I know I will never completely learn, but...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  6. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

"or put in a used genuine HEI module. Again, do your best to run either an American coil, or one made in South AMerica if you can't find USA."

DS, I know I am just hoping here, but can you place the internals of the large 70s HEI into the smaller points housing? Probably just a hopeful misread; but I ask b/c I have several of the old and big HEI units in my shop.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  7. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

well, you have it might as well run it while you save for a good one

8. NO sir, "ALL OUR PRO-BILLETS ARE HAND MADE HERE IN THE U.S.A"
    our street fire line " except the 5520 street fire cd ignition "is made in china..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=a1lfWWTfk0c

or check out msdvideos.com

9. They do not use a M.S.D. cap and rotor!.....they are knock offs..
    look at these photos...

Attached Files:

10. now here is the pro comp
    procompjpeg.JPG

notice ...it does not have the msd lettering on it

11. the first generation hei distributors ( in corvettes)
    had the magnetic pick-ups....

see pics:
    magna pulse 1.gif

magna pulse 2.gif

magna pulse 3.gif

magna pulse 4--using a hei module.gif

12. Been using one in my Ford. Works well and a lot less than $60.00

Attached Files:

13. captmullette

captmullette

got mine from pro comp, runs fine for 3 years

14. And I'll raise you a 5'11" Czechoslovakian...

Bob

15. We used to grab junkyard HEIs for our stock cars, go through them to make sure they had no glaring problems, keep a spare module and cap in the parts box. They always made great spark and I never had one fail on me.

Bob

16. Yes, they do. It's knock off, not a copy. It's not "trying" to be an MSD. Much the same way a builder builds a Hirohata Merc as a tribute, not to fool people. All I now is I took my cap and rotor from my china unit to my local parts house and they matched it up to an MSD unit. It fits. It works. That said, I've been running the EBay Chinese unit for a year with no issues.
    To each their own.

17. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

I use the chinese crap distributors on boats with 351w engines 3 boats with same chinese distributors, never got a problem yet, each boat hit 400hours per summer...and we going to start the fifth year with them...

Still working great...

18. 26 roadster

26 roadster

friend gave me one, the module blew. broke that ugly thing off the side, cleaned it up and used an MSD box. nice and small. I get HEI billet for chevy for 38.50 w/big coil

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good advise right there. Make sure everything works right with the engine it's self before making changes.

I ran one of Skip White's Wiesco Hei's on my daily for close to three years without any problems except blowing a module due to bad plug wires a few months ago when the secondary resistance got a bit out of control due to the plug wires.

20. The difference is you can put points back in your stock distributor if you ever have a failure, which you can't do with that funky Chinese distributor. And you can get a PerTronix module from O'Rielly's, Summit, Jeg's etc the same day.

21. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Not to rain on your sentence and defense, but the same site sells modules that replace a blown unit, delivered to your door for under 30 bucks. So what's the difference if you keep a spare module or a set of 18 dollar delco points in your glove box. Just make sure to file it under CS...

22. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

The below image is why many other units have failed. This coil is 18 bucks delivered to the door. The rep at Gearhead explained, that as long as I use that coil WITH THE Correct Ballist RESISITOR, the unit will kick ass (his own words). I know I could be snowballed here, but there are enough people on here who have explained that they have units that work better than well. The rep explained that if you don't use the ballis, the thing WILL BURN UP - PERIOD!

[​IMG]

Ad
    This auction is for a brand new CHROME GM style Coil with brackets. This is a high output 60,000 volt coil with a 1.4 OHM ballast resistor. This will really add to the look and performance of your vehicle. This is styled after a GM coil, but will work on almost any vehicle such as Plymouth, Dodge, Mopar, Chevy. This is a huge savings - these usually retail for $59.00!

23. Well, the difference is when you are on a back road in East Bumfuk Egypt, you can take you old points and put them back in and it cost you nothing. And it you do't have them there is a good chance of getting a PerTronix module at the local Big Box Auto Parts Store.

24. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Again, "... and what's the difference if you keep a spare module in your glove box intead of points?" Replace the module, replace the points? (can't use burned out points- can't use burned out module).

25. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

26. And Again, the difference is you HAVE the stock points and condenser in the distributor before you put in the PerTronix and so you don't have to spend any money to buy a spare module that you might or might not ever need.

27. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I like points.
    My wife said, "Honey, 1968 called and they want you back".
    I'd go.

28. Hope the Vietnam War Draft Board wasn't in on that call

29. models916

models916

they're so cheap I bought a whole spare distriburor and put it in the trunk. Been there 3 years and that's where it will stay till the one in the engine gives up.

30. Doesn't mattter, because when one key item shits the bed in the distributor, it will be pitch black, 33* outside with a mixture of sleet and hail being driven at you sideways.

Of course that key tool you need that you were sure was in the glove box is missing.

I have yet to have an electrical failure in anything but the worst of conditions.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.