Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cheap distrib HEI on Sleabay is good?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porkchop4464, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. upspirate

upspirate

Alcohol and E-bay have gotten me in trouble more than once!!!!:eek:

At least with CL , the alcohol may have some time to wear off!!:rolleyes:

2. I've been running one almost a year. Works great. Pro Comp out of China. Uses an MSD cap and rotor.

3. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Been using stock HEI for 13 years now, works great never missed a beat!!

Ago

4. I agree, can't beat a stock HEI, but to big if your running multi carbs or.......

5. larry k

larry k

call gmc bubba he will set you straight, he will tell you the truth.even if he does'nt sell parts , :eek:

6. davidh73750

davidh73750

I used one before and had all right luck but on my 55 I got one from summit. It seems a little nicer.

7. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Like there is any confusion? What is the WTF for? You don't know me, Dude? If I like a tunnel ram's look, than that's what I am puttin' on my car.

Sorry, but if you are gonna' go as far as buildin an entire car, a stock Quadro J, and trust me, I love Quadro-Slobs, is just lame on a hot rod. Chevelles, closed hood pickups - fine! GM made many a great carb and manifold set up for sure. But a fenderless, open hood, 30 Dodge pick up? I don't want a gnat bite where a sausage should be.

Just my two cents.

Lastly, for the third time, I have a stock 67, single points, set up layin' around. I could use it in worst case - I just hate points once I was introduced to HEI (plus I got my wires already).

Pork

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  8. Take that distributor, put one of our PerTronix in it and be done. Hell, even the MSD guy recommended that!
    If you feel you need more juice after it's running you can add a MSD box and still use the PerTronix to fire it.

9. Hotroddon..... I forgot about those units. They work great!! Used them for years, no problem at all.

10. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Who sells the Pertronix? Where do you get it?

11. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Well now, for all of you that balk at Chinese crap,to be patriotic, shut your computer off and throw it in the trash now(buy one made in the USA :D). The Chinese dizzy works well. I started hot roddin in 1959 and believe me if I had access to one then I'd have bought it. The WH Ducoil was the hot ticket then and would fire an engine to over 9,000 rpms. It was basically two 4 cylinder dizzy's in one (runs at half speed). I'm pretty sure that the patent has run out and if anyone from China or elsewhere, even here in the USA, "knocks it off" I'll buy some.
    Yes, I agree that WTF is much overused. It is a sign of disrespect that I suppose we must live with, or do we?

12. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Here's the difference for 200 bucks. What would you do?

Attached Files:

13. Pretty much any auto parts house.

14. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Another. Sorry if people thing that pee shooter looks better. I don't see it.
    Pork

Attached Files:

• tr1.jpg
      tr1.jpg
      File size:
      269.6 KB
      Views:

15. What difference? With that set up I'd run an old style points distributor with electronic conversion.

16. Every Speed Shop and most Auto parts places on earth! Summit usually has the best prices, but shop around.
    Go here for info; http://pertronix.com/
    If you have any questions, I can help you out, i work there (although my main function is Director of Exhaust R&D, I know a bit about the electronics as well :D)

17. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Okay, so it's a product made for a variety of older points distribs? You just tell 'em you want one for a SBC?

18. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

I wonder if AutoZone would have one? Not a huge fan, but they are close by and usually pretty damn cheap.

19. Okatoma cruiser

Okatoma cruiser
    from Ms

I agree with slammed-but since you've already got the new one you ought try it. IMHO

20. GREASER815

GREASER815

Id rather run points, or Pertronix than a cheap distributor

21. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

If you've got it use it. If you don't like it you can evilbay it later.
    What's wrong with cheap? That is the root of traditional hot rodding!

22. COOP

COOP

I picked up a distributor that looks like that one from Gearheads, started right up, engine runs well, but I have no miles on it yet. Don't think that would be any worse than being in the middle of no-where and having your pertronix fry. I wound up keeping extra points and etc in the glove box just in case. Too many people bitchin' about 'em to continue usage. Only reason I bought that small distributor was a clearance issue with an old T1 intake, and I didn't want to go back to points........Norm

23. Gator

Gator

Another one for the ignore list.

24. triumph 1

triumph 1

Summit racing equipment sells them very reasonably priced. I have used several pertronix upgrades with great results. I would stay away from that chinese hei. And the small cap gm hei's mentioned don't have a mechanical advance so that isn't a good option.

25. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

Ive got one in my 283, had to because of firewall clearance. Have'nt had a problem.

26. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

To hell with the dizzy......... Explain the front suspension setup, please?
    [​IMG]

27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I put HEI in a point distributor in my Vette because I needed the mechanical tach drive. The module is the dingus next to the dipstick with the heat sinks and white dielectric grease. Been on there about 20 years as evidenced by the corrosion and gunk and never missed a beat. Accel coil. Been so long I don't remember how I did it, couldn't have been too hard because at that time I don't think I had a lathe or welder.

[​IMG]

28. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I have two of the Ebay HEI's in use. Never a problem.

29. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

I can't complain, I have one in use with no issues for about 3 years now, for $60.00 I bought a spare to throw in the trunk just in case. Mine came with a ugly blue cap that I painted black for a traditional look. I think most all the major aftermarket performance distribitors are made in china anyhow, MSD ect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.