Register now to get rid of these ads!

that sticky stuff between hood skin and the under bracing ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Jan 17, 2013.

1. What's that stuff called or what can I use ?
    Thanks !

2. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Seam sealer - bodyshop supply co, eastwoods

3. Really , seam sealer ?
    Usually has some thickness too it, globs and such. Quite a good bond too

4. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

5. I use NVH foam. It stays flexible.

6. lomonte

lomonte
    from Indep., MO

Go to your local auto paint supplier. They'll hook ya up. It's a heavy bodied shoot able stuff that sets but stays flexible.

7. obsolete

obsolete

That's what you need, ask to see all of their spooge applicators as well...

8. I thought this was a good idea too, and everything was going well until I asked about the applicators and seeing them.

She said " I'll show you mine if you show me yours !"
    Then I said " listen honey, I just need to get the hood skin sucked down to the bracing and make it stay there, that's all I need." She got offended and I still need the sticky stuff .

9. The technical name for that stuff is "anti-flutter"....but you're already embarrassed, so I guess it's too late now :eek:

10. Anti flutter sounds so much better than "spooge"

Does anti flutter have a particular manufacturer and a part #?
    Spooge didn't.

11. Google had some anti flutter info.
    Do you have any idea what searching " spooge" on Google brings up ?

12. FastEddie85

FastEddie85
    from PA

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  13. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

SEM 39977 Panel Vibration Control

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

15. bustingear

bustingear

16. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!:D

17. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

18. What a fricking nightmare this is been.
    Ask 5 different guys get five different answers.
    Search the net and you find heated debates and drama.
    Ask 15 more people and now there's 20 different answers each one with a very effective argument why the other guys are wrong.
    Call the manufacturer ( good mark) and they didn't know what the hell they put in there either.
    Gm didn't have an answer that was any good.
    Supply houses have no idea what "anti flutter " is and want to sell you expanding foam.

I Really can't believe its this hard !!!
    This little shit is enough to make you nuttier than squirrel shit.

This hood has been on hold for a month because of this sticky stuff. I've tried to find it at least 3xs a week. Lots of time

19. fast eddie trwalters and crystal blue all gave you info on stuff that will work. the supply house couldn't get it for you?

20. Anti flutter is foam. Dense foam. SEM 39997 is the rigid version.

21. Go to a automotive paint supply store. Ask for NVH foam. Tell them what your doing. Now you just have to decide brand. It shouldn't be that hard to find. It's used every day in any good body shop.

22. that stuff is the reason you dont dipp hoods or trunklids because its almost impossible to replace it

23. I remove & replace it on every car I restore. Not rocket science :confused:

24. Fenders

Fenders

Lot of NVH foam out there, wanna give a maker and part number?

25. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

I do not go to the paint store very often but the one I goto I ask for dum dum(3M Strip Caulk) it comes on wax paper in different thickness or you can search on Butyl tape, sealant. good luck

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  26. The manufacturer applied stuff lost its bond across a 1/8" + gap an allowed the skin to pucker up. Two identical spots on left and the right. Real bitch when your trying to sand it.
    The nvh foam provides support not stick.
    The seam sealers wouldn't hold a gap, the two part stuff doesn't allow expansion and contraction at the same rate critical on a hood skin. Panel bond epoxy needs to be clamped tight and doesn't allow any movement.
    The sem wasn't made to span a gap that big and hold shit together in heresy kiss size lumps. Probably should have shoved that in there anyway.
    Thats what I ran into, And more.

So I did get some dumdum. Packed it between the skin and brace pretty tight. Raised a good bump in the hood tight. Then I put a 5 gallon bucket of water on top of the hood and that put an even smoosh on the dumdum. Now hopefully that will hold it in place. The surface area is about 5 times original blob.
    I feel its jerry rigged now and won't be able to sleep for days. We'll see what happens tomorrow when I take the buckets off.

27. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

:D But remember even a blind squirrel finds his nuts once in a while...

28. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Just ask for a hand full of spooge.....

29. You didn't say what youwere working on, but you've got to have a really light touch when your sanding on panels like that. You do not want to "bond" that hood to the supports..that's why they don't do it at the factory. It's got to expand and contract, and bonding it to the supports will prevent that, posibly causing the panels to get waves set in. That stuff just gives it some support to keep it from fluttering at speeds. That caulking you used isn't going to be any different in the morning or next week or next year, but that may be ok. You only want it to support, not bond.
    If your hood is moving what seems to be too easily, it may be due to bodywork that was done to it causing it to oil can.
    This may be stuff you already know, I couldn't tell from your post. Don't mean to offend if you did know.

30. Its really weird but consistent and perfectly symmetrical.
    The other 70 or so globs held just fine and are stuck pretty good. The globs are semi soft and have a good bite in the skin and bracing.
    Yes a Very light hand on the long block. If its making the stand wiggle its to hard